What mtb shoes do people wear?

sam-323
sam-323 Posts: 49
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
I've been out today in Haldon forest near Exeter, and with the weather not so good my feet got soaked so my question is as the title said, what mtb shoes do people wear and what would you recommend?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    AM 45s
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Specialized Defrosters really good for keeping your feet warm and dry and durable but get a size up
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Luapsnnib
    Luapsnnib Posts: 23
    I just have a pair of trainers but wear a pair of sealskinz socks dry feet every time they are great
  • sam-323
    Ah I didn't even think about seal skin socks and I've got a pair as well
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I use these..

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-su ... oes-183176

I honestly cannot fault them, lovely and warm and kept my feet dry a few times when they've been submerged under puddles etc.
    For the money it's a no brainer!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They get wet, you warm up the water (just like a wet suite) they feel warm, never really caused me an issue!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'm using Shimano M077's and planet x overshoes.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Rigga wrote:
    I use these..

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-su ... oes-183176

I honestly cannot fault them, lovely and warm and kept my feet dry a few times when they've been submerged under puddles etc.
    For the money it's a no brainer!

I used similar to this today (oooh snow) no problems despite loosing sight of my feet a couple of times in deep mud feet were warm again in minutes but still wet. Didnt cause me any issues.
  • i wear a pair of Saucoy trail shoes for racing as i run in these as well. In cold weather i wear some wollen socks to help keep feet warm. In teh snow or if i'm just out for a bimble i sometimes wear hiking boots! With tracksuit bottoms on these dont look too out of place. And if they get muddy and wet it doesn't matter! I wouldnt wear them for serious races or training though.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Shimano AM41s with Sealskinz socks
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    my 5.10s absorb so much water it wouldnt matter what you wear as long as you are following me you will be guaranteed dry trails. If dryness is important dont buy them although for protection and grip on flat pedals they are hard tp beat. Not the most helpful post i admit but at £90 a pair its a lot of money only to find out you need to buy a pair of wet weather shoes too. I wear an old pair of vans skate shoes with sealskins.
  • neilrosser
    neilrosser Posts: 236
    Shimano MT71 & Sealskins....toastyyyy :lol:
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Shimano MO77's + Sealskins, stood in a load of water last week was still dry and warm.
  • sam-323
    Thanks for the replays. I think I will go for a pair karrimor with the seal skins sock for the moment as I am not to sure about the clip in SPD shoes
  • neilrosser
    neilrosser Posts: 236
    Sam-323 wrote:
    not to sure about the clip in SPD shoes
    You don't have to clip in mate :)
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • I use Sportiva raptors with sealskinz (when it's wet and cold). It's a good shoe that will let you run / climb / cycle. Not too 'cleaty', steady on wet rock and lightweight.

ls1.jpg?w=510&h=302
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Pair of water proof treated vans, with sealskin socks, way fwd on flatties :p
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I have got some Northwave winter boots, but haven't worn them for a couple of winters for various reasons. Just wear my S-Works shoes with wool socks. Feet get wet as the shoes are full of holes, but they don't hold water.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i just wear some trainers but from the replies in this thread, I've just ordered some seal skinz socks to wear to have dry feet.

hopefully we should get some decent weather soon.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    AM 45s

Them. 'Cos they are brilliant. And Defeet Woolie Boolies.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Northwave winter boots for this type of weather.
    No matter what you go for, make sure you try before you buy
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I wear these:

12014_4078-1-1332735248.jpg

510 Danny Macs. Fit like a dream, comfortable, and soo much pedal grip.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Trainers, pair of socks, freezer bag, another pair of socks! Fine for a cold wet ride - probably not too good an idea for a 4 hour ride though.
  • CommyAdam
    CommyAdam Posts: 70
    I ride with 5.10 Freeriders which i love in terms of grip and protection but, like many others, hate in terms of water retention... you can store enough water in their to fill your camelbak up, should you be so inclined.

And having looked through this thread, thinking about getting some sealskinz socks, but if they really are so waterproof won't i just effectively create an aquarium within my shoe? with water being held inside the shoe between the shoe and the sock?

Probably better get some better (drier) shoes.... AM45s perhaps.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Couple of my mates use karrimor walking shoes from Sports Direct and say they offer great grip. I was dubious seeing as they're not flat, not that stiff etc but one of them is super quick and if he's keeping his feet on the pedals with karrimor shoes on, anybody can. But he does admit they're not as good as 5:10s but they're 4 times as cheap!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    M077

SHIM-SHOE-BM077.jpg
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    shimano-mt33-shoes.jpg
    MT33+
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And Defeet Woolie Boolies.