Rear mech

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
See when replacing the rear derailleur, are there different types like there are for the front? For example the front has to be top swing, bottom swing etc.

Just wondering because I'm looking to change mine and didn't know if any would fit or if there are different styles that fit different bikes? Been looking at the shimano xt or xtr I think it was :-)

Thanks guys!
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What do you have at the moment?
  • Kerrmit1992
    According to the website it's a shimano deore shadow :-) ... From 2011 though :-)
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    How many cogs on the rear?
  • Kerrmit1992
    8, but I'm looking to increase it :-)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    You'll need a new cassette, shifter and chain plus a mech if you want more gears. The latest Shadow plus mechs from shimano are very good, I run an XTR and a zee mech with the shadow plus clutch and they are both great. Very little difference in performance between them, the XTR mech is a chunk lighter but unless you're counting the grams imo not really worth the extra over xt.
  • Kerrmit1992
    Yes I need a new chain and possible new cassette anyway, that's what has sparked the change :-) ... Weight is a concern to me as I recently took up XC racing so lighter is better in my eyes :-P ... Depending on price :-D

The newer deore mech seemed to get a good write up and it's not too pricey either but don't know what it's like weight wise.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is there a problem with the current mech? An 8 speed mech works fine on a 9 speed setup.

Deore is heavier than SLX is heavier than XT is heavier than XTR......I just replaced a latest XT shadow on mine with an older XTR and saved weight (that wasn't the driver for the change mind!)

If you need a new mech I'd look for a good used XT shadow, you'll pay about £30-35 and it will weigh about 225g (Deore are about 300g)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.