Tour of Britain up for sale -who should get it?

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
edited March 2013 in Pro race
So who should get to run the ToB in the future?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    ASO running away with this one.

I voted for the Italians. Here's why:

SweetSpot probably don't have the wherewithall to push the ToB further than it's gone already. They've done a good job of it, but I don't think they can bring the race any further.

ASO would certainly offer sound competent management of the race, but they have a huge race list already. Would they promote the race at the expense of one of their other races? If the future goal of the ToB is an upgrade in status, then it's likely that one of ASO's races would have to make way.

RCS have far fewer races. They promote them aggressively, finding ways to make each of them competitive against ASO races. They really work to find something unique for each race. Sometimes they go over the top (see this year's Tirreno-Adriatico) but they make memorable races. I think they'd try every trick in the book to get an upgrade.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    How much do they want for it? Ive been looking for a stage race and can't afford a grand tour
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    ^^I like your thinking, but I'd point out one thing - part of the reason RCS make exciting races is because they are in Italy. They have geography on their side. Italy is essentially a volcanic ridge and you're never more than an hour's ride from an interesting climb or five. Compare it to France which has great expanses of flat lands.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Well yes, RCS have the natural resources available for flamboyance, it's true. But they also have the drive to maximise them, whereas ASO are essentially far more conservative. I think that's more to do with market position than geography.

Besides, there are plenty of nasty short sharp climbs in Britain. We may be lacking in Alpine passes and summit finishes, but the horrible little bastards that make e.g. the Belgian classics so memorable, we've got some.

To put it this way - this year's route is pretty much the first that's made decent use of The Lakes, yet there's plenty more there that's not been exploited. SweetSpot have pushed the boat out a little further this time - which is what RCS would continue to do, but with more muscle behind them. Or is this years route as good as it could possibly get?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Wouldn't ASO having it leave them with 2 races on at the same time?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Wiggle :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Difficult one. I really like what Sweetspot have done in improving the race during a time when getting sponsorship and financial support has been extremely tough. No doubt the upsurge in interest in British cycling has helped but they've done a great job. However, having one of the big two involved could push the race to the next level. I think it's a credit to what Sweetspot have done that the race is now at a stage where ASO and RCS are even interested in it, the huge crowds on last year's race will have helped too.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Would a combined Sweetspot/ASO or Sweetspot/RCS run event be good the future. Love the idea of it staying as it is but if we want more races that attract top class riders then perhaps we have to look overseas. Would they be able to hold "classic" one day races as partbof the contract? So much terrain to choose from and the probability of large crowds wherever they go.
  • With all three throwing their hats into the ring it's time to play them off against each other.

The UK now has one of the big teams, it has the reigning TdF champion in Wiggins, it has the favourite (or at least second favourite) for this year's tour in Froome, it has the leading sprinter in Cavendish and several classic contenders (at least for a podium) in Stanndard and Thomas.

That doesn't mean much in isolation but the UK is now arguably the major sports market - look at how the NFL, NBA from the States are trying to cash in on the appetite for sport in the UK. The IOC did the same for Olympics last year. Athletics' World Championships is heading here as well, the Champions League Final is being hosted at Wembley etc.

The UK is where the money is. Nowhere else can get away with the ticket prices we charge yet our grounds are filled at those prices where everywhere else has empty grounds at cheaper prices. Now cycling has a slightly different remuneration structure as it's not about ticket sales but the crowds for the Olympic road-race/TT and ToB give it a relevance for sponsors which is what drives the sport. Add in the strength of British cycling and it's a no-brainer - it's no coincidence that both the Giro and the Tour will be visiting.

It's not going to replace the Tour, the Giro or Vuelta but there's no reason why it can't be in that second tier of stage races. It's a far more attractive proposition (financially) than a tour of say Poland and it has the scenery and courses to produce a highly marketable product. Play the ASO off against the RCS and make the ASO commit to back it properly at the expense of one of their second tier events. Make the contract conditional on reaching certain achievements.

Then maybe offer Sweetspot an one-day race as a consolation prize for their work in resurrecting the ToB?
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Sweet Spot have built the race from nothing to where it is now, then the powers decide "ok, nobody wanted it before, and it is now worth having,so lets screw SP and make some more money from someone else" Great, nothing like a little loyalty.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    With all three throwing their hats into the ring it's time to play them off against each other. The UK now has one of the big teams, it has the reigning TdF champion in Wiggins, it has the favourite (or at least second favourite) for this year's tour in Froome, it has the leading sprinter in Cavendish and several classic contenders (at least for a podium) in Stanndard and Thomas.

The UK is where the money is. Nowhere else can get away with the ticket prices we charge yet our grounds are filled at those prices where everywhere else has empty grounds at cheaper prices. Now cycling has a slightly different remuneration structure as it's not about ticket sales but the crowds for the Olympic road-race/TT and ToB give it a relevance for sponsors which is what drives the sport. Add in the strength of British cycling and it's a no-brainer - it's no coincidence that both the Giro and the Tour will be visiting.
    This is more about Continental Sponsors who use cycle racing as a marketing tool.
    The present TOB organisers have some sponsors lined up but I doubt if the Budget required would interest the ASO as a profit machine. They need a bigger return for their time and a lot more low cost control of the safety aspect.
    I don't know where this thread originated but those are my thoughts. FWIW.

The NFL have tried for 15 + years to get a foothold in the UK and their experiment this year to bring 4 USA teams to play 2 games at Wembly will be a success only if there is a 90% sale of tickets.
    These games fit into their normal 1300 EST schedules and for this they have the USA advertising revenues to back their profit margins.

Edit
    I've been a Niners fan for thirty years and been to 7 home games at Candlestick plus 26 other home team games.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    mike6 wrote:
    Sweet Spot have built the race from nothing to where it is now, then the powers decide "ok, nobody wanted it before, and it is now worth having,so lets screw SP and make some more money from someone else" Great, nothing like a little loyalty.

Sweetspot haven't been running it out of the kindness of their hearts or for the love of the sport you know? Of course you know don't you... Mike Bennett?!!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    I'm biased because I know a couple of the guys who work for SweetSpot and are heavily involved in both the ToB and the Tour Series, which they've also built from nothing.

There may be commercial opportunities out there that ASO or RCS could exploit better through their contacts and experience - and if it's all about money they may be the right choice. But there are many other factors which make the ToB difficult to organise, in contrast to races in some other countries, and SweetSpot's experience in overcoming those challenges shouldn't be undervalued if British Cycling want the race to prosper.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Nissan, Kellogs, Pru Tour, Milk Race all died...sure ASO is best guarantee ToB
    does't go the way of those great former events
  • Sweetspot have done the hard work and worked through the lean years and also bring us the Tour series so naturally the ToB should now be given to someone else now that cycling is becoming popular.

The fact that they are putting it out to tender is a disgrace. Sweetspot have been involved in UK cycling for years and long may they remain.

This smacks of someone in power with a grudge.

It can't stop me thnking that this might have be related to Sky / ASO / UCI
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    gsk82 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Sweetspot haven't been running it out of the kindness of their hearts or for the love of the sport you know? Of course you know don't you... Mike Bennett?!!

Who said anything about SW doing it for nowt? I said they took it on when no one wanted it and made it into a good marketable proposition. So now its a prized event, it gets flogged off to someone else. I just think its a cheap shot.
  • Pross
    Sweetspot have done the hard work and worked through the lean years and also bring us the Tour series so naturally the ToB should now be given to someone else now that cycling is becoming popular.

The fact that they are putting it out to tender is a disgrace. Sweetspot have been involved in UK cycling for years and long may they remain.

Yeah, it will be the devil's spawn at Sky behind it obviously :roll:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Sweetspot have done the hard work and worked through the lean years and also bring us the Tour series so naturally the ToB should now be given to someone else now that cycling is becoming popular.

Putting things like this out to tender every so often is simply good practice.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    mike6 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    Who said anything about SW doing it for nowt? I said they took it on when no one wanted it and made it into a good marketable proposition. So now its a prized event, it gets flogged off to someone else. I just think its a cheap shot.
    Isn't how marketable the ToB is more down to the success that British Cycling has had recently, rather than anything SweetSpot have done? I'm not saying that SweetSpot haven't done a good job, but I think it makes sense for British Cycling to look at their options for maximizing the potential the the ToB has.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I voted RCS by the way, I'm sure they'd find a way to shoehorn Great Dun Fell in there!
  • Pross
    thegibdog wrote:
    I voted RCS by the way, I'm sure they'd find a way to shoehorn Great Dun Fell in there!

And a nice day in mid Wales doing the Devil's Staircase and MTF on the Bwlch y Groes :)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    What would be so much better is if ASO, or RCS for that matter, left the Tour of Britain develop further as it is - it will get there in te end - and initiate another UK race, a one dayer, criterium int style weekend, or another short stage race. Tour of Wales, Yorkshire, Bristol, whatever. Just two UCI races at the moment
  • Pross
    FJS wrote:
    What would be so much better is if ASO, or RCS for that matter, left the Tour of Britain develop further as it is - it will get there in te end - and initiate another UK race, a one dayer, criterium int style weekend, or another short stage race. Tour of Wales, Yorkshire, Bristol, whatever. Just two UCI races at the moment

That ties in nicely with a thread I'm intending starting later ;)