Helmet sizes

Martin19681968
Martin19681968 Posts: 63
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi
I'm looking at buying a Giro Hex,the sizes are medium 55cm-59cm large 59cm-63cm. My head measures 58.5cm but when its really cold i like to wear a beanie hat under the helmet. What size do you guys think i should go for as i won't always want to wear a hat under it

Comments

• Go try one on. I found that they are narrow, so my round head doesn't fit even though I'm within the stated dimensions.
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    What Northern Monkey said only go and try some different helmets on. I had my mind set on a 661 recon but when i tried it on it just felt wrong ended up with a xar by far the lightest most comfortable helmet i have ever had but not what i had planned to buy. Keep an open mind and spend your money on what feels right after all its there to keep your head in one piece.
  • Hi
    Thanks for the replies. I found a new Giro Hex for £38.50 so thought i'd try that,if its no good i can sell it on i guess
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    If you buy from somewhere that uses collect+ (where you drop a package at a local shop for free return) then you can try as many as you like with a minimum of hassle. I recently tried 4 or 5 before finding a decent fit, I was between sizes like you (ended up with a medium specialized helmet, as their medium goes up a bit higher than giro's).
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Rather than wearing a beanie, try wearing a Buff or something similar thats a little thinner under the helmet. I don't do it for MTBing but do it for Skiing with my skiing helmet and my head/ears are cosy the whole day.
  • Shackster wrote:
    If you buy from somewhere that uses collect+ (where you drop a package at a local shop for free return) then you can try as many as you like with a minimum of hassle. I recently tried 4 or 5 before finding a decent fit, I was between sizes like you (ended up with a medium specialized helmet, as their medium goes up a bit higher than giro's).
    some places won't accept returns on helmets so double check 1st.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    oxocube1 wrote:
    Rather than wearing a beanie, try wearing a Buff or something similar thats a little thinner under the helmet. I don't do it for MTBing but do it for Skiing with my skiing helmet and my head/ears are cosy the whole day.

I can see that applying with the current weather, but for the 1 day or so of summer we have, you wont want to be wearing anything extra.