trek madone 2.3 2013

greggbaker
greggbaker Posts: 55
edited September 2013 in Your road bikes
lightboxMy new beauty!!!

Comments

• Cant work out how to upload from flickr!!!
  • I always had the same issue. Right click on the picture and click 'copy image location', then put that between the [img]tags :)[/img]
  • Also looks like you've got the pics set to private so we wouldn't be able to see them anyway!
  • 8571491803_2c885d7174.jpg
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Nice, but your saddle is pointing down and your bars are pointing up.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Thanks for finally getting the picture up for me.

My saddle is pointing down as when the old one was horizontal (my first and only ride on this bike to date which was a month ago) I ended up getting an infection in one of my nuts which I'm still off work and struggling with now. Having read up it seams that the saddle being a fraction of a degree upwards can cause this issue. My bars are up as when I had the fitting done they flipped the bar stem to be right for me frame/reach.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    greggbaker wrote:
    lightboxquote  Please people drop this Flikr crap and get on PHOTOBUCKET ffs.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    k-dog wrote:
    greggbaker wrote:
    My saddle is pointing down as when the old one was horizontal (my first and only ride on this bike to date which was a month ago) I ended up getting an infection in one of my nuts which I'm still off work and struggling with now. Having read up it seams that the saddle being a fraction of a degree upwards can cause this issue. My bars are up as when I had the fitting done they flipped the bar stem to be right for me frame/reach.

The perfect answer ! Its almost as if you have the saddle and bars set up for your comfort and how you ride !

Imagine that :wink:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    so many spacers :shock:
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Spacers and a flipped stem are fine - my bikes are like that - but those bars are angled up, not just raised. That's wrong. Probably why the saddle is uncomfortable too - too much weight on the back.

It does seem perverse sometimes - but moving the saddle back and the bars forward can spread the weight better.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • pride4ever wrote:
    greggbaker wrote:
    lightboxquote  Please people drop this Flikr crap and get on PHOTOBUCKET ffs.

Maybe some meditation or blood pressure tablets would help FFS
  • mr_sj wrote:
    k-dog wrote:
    greggbaker wrote:

The perfect answer ! Its almost as if you have the saddle and bars set up for your comfort and how you ride !

I know. Just wanted to show my new bike off. Now I'm stumped as a decent LBS did the fitting for me but low and behold the panel of international experts in here disagree. Whom shall I believe?
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    I am always suspicious of lots of spacers and flipped stem, it's usually a sign a wrong size frame is being made to fit someone IME. To each his own, it's your bike and have it how you want, it doesn't effect my ride, but by the very nature of displaying in this forum you are inviting comment.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Bars are above saddle. That's not allowed and I have no idea how anybody rides with the bars anywhere near the same height of the saddle.

Apart from that, it looks like a Madone and that's good :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Sandyballs wrote:
    I am always suspicious of lots of spacers and flipped stem, it's usually a sign a wrong size frame is being made to fit someone IME. To each his own, it's your bike and have it how you want, it doesn't effect my ride, but by the very nature of displaying in this forum you are inviting comment.

The number of spacers is the standard number that come with the bike. None have been added. The frame size is a 56 and I'm 5' 11" which according to the manufacturers is spot on. The reason the LBS guy flipped the stem is because it was more comfortable that way and he explained that as all body shapes and lengths differ this would be the best set up for me. I would ordinarily go for the saddle higher up than on this bike but the guy doing the fitting said that most people go too high which causes riders to rock their hips slightly causing a less efficient pedalling action and a higher risk of injury. This made logical sense. Upon looking at pro riders their saddles all appear lower than I would say looked right.
    So many people on this forum go on about getting a bike fit done but then criticise the results. Confused.com
    And whilst I understand that I invite comment by posting a picture, the way some people deliver that is brilliant. Think its often the case of being a bell end but hiding on a laptop in their front room. Face to face they would generally be more polite. Lucky I'm not sensitive I guess lol
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    As you have rightly pointed out there are all different body shapes, manufacturers guides are based on Joe Average so fitting into there box cannot be totally relied upon. Length of femur, arms, torso are all individual so without trial on several sizes which I am sure you did you cannot guarantee the right fit from a size guide.

I would say you must sit very upright which if that is what is comfortable and right for your riding style crack on, it's your bike. Most people on this forum i find though opt for the slam the stem style and getting as aero and Pro as possible. That's where the negativity comes in.

Hope the weather picks up soon so that you can get out on your new bike and enjoy it. Happy riding.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    greggbaker wrote:
    mr_sj wrote:
    k-dog wrote:
    greggbaker wrote:

I know. Just wanted to show my new bike off. Now I'm stumped as a decent LBS did the fitting for me but low and behold the panel of international experts in here disagree. Whom shall I believe?

No one is saying the fitting isn't right.. we're just suggesting that perhaps a different frame geometry would have been better for you.
  • greggbaker wrote:
    lightboxMy new beauty!!!

Hi Just wonder how you are getting on with your new bike?

David
  • Hi David. After months of scans, physio and medication I've managed to get back on my bike last week and have done 4 rides with only a little discomfort. With regards to the bike I love it. I think it looks great and compared to my old bike it is fast a comfortable and handles really well. It has improved my riding and confidence and I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Hope that helps.