Shimano SPD Differerences

badly_dubbed
badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking at some SPDs to fit on my Zesty, never been a fan of flats so always ran clipless...

what's the actual difference between:

M520 £17.49
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3759

M540 £29.99
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3760

M780 £44.99
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=67220

is it really just weight mainly? theres only 77g between the 520 at £18 and XT at £45....not really enough weight to make a noticeable difference i wouldn't have thought....im not fussed about being super light anyway if im honest...the zesty isn't the lightest bike in the world..

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I've got the "trail" versions of the 520's and xt pedals, the m530 and M785 which have a slightly larger platform, still reasonably light, the xts are a hair over 400g, the m530's are 440g ish, but the extra stability from the platform is great when unclipped and it protects the mechanism too. Well worth going for them imo.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It just makes it easier to clip in, the pedal can't roll over when you push your foot forward into it.
  • badly_dubbed
    ah...prob wont need them then

so out of the ones posted...the only noticeable difference is weight...?
  • bennett_346
    Pretty much.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    M520's work so well it's hard to justify paying the extra IMHO
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    I know you say you like SPD's and so did i but, honestly ive recently tried Crank Brother Candy's, and i would now not go back to SPD's as the crank bro's are so much smoother and just feel better IMO :)

If its any help anyway :)
  • bennett_346
    edited March 2013
    The first clipless pedals i had were Crank Brothers.

I think i'm still traumatised. There's no tension, so your foot can come out without any tactile warning if your ankle rotates riding over rough stuff or midair. The high release angle means you can't unclip easily in a hurry or if you crash.

The bushings are so bad that after one years use the pedal jammed violently and physically unthreaded itself from the crank arm mid trail, causing me to crash hard on one of the alps' busiest downhill trails.

They're also grossly overpriced and the cleats wear in a matter of months.

Oh and they were very flexy compared to similar shimano ones.
  • badly_dubbed
    i also ran crank bros....the bearings collapsed and the spindles were loose within a few weeks!
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'v been through a fair few Shimano SPD pedals and get on best with the M530s. I know you don't use the platform as your clipped in but they "feel" beter for me and at £23 in the above link you can't go wrong.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    kenan wrote:
    I'v been through a fair few Shimano SPD pedals and get on best with the M530s. I know you don't use the platform as your clipped in but they "feel" beter for me and at £23 in the above link you can't go wrong.

Exactly. If you're not bothered by weight, they cost roughly the same, probably have exactly the same bearings, its useful to have the extra platform and protection even if you need it once in a blue moon. No brainer for me in this case.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    M520's work so well it's hard to justify paying the extra IMHO

+1