Fox CTD or CCDB Air

Barrelmaker
Barrelmaker Posts: 188
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have had a search and nothing has really come up but I'm about to buy a full sus frame (banshee) and the shock options are either a CTD or CCDB. I'm not someone who will be forever fiddling with the settings so i would probably leave the CCDB on its base settings, which apparently are quite good and tuned to the frame. I have read various reviews on both and both are rated highly, does anyone have any input as to which one is "better"? How is the reliability of each one etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Which Banshee frame is it?
  • Barrelmaker
    Spitfire.
  • bennett_346
    CTD would get my vote. If you don't like fiddling with settings the CCDB is not something you'll want.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Have to say I wasn't that impressed with the Banshee rune I demoed a few weeks ago and wasn't that impressed by the whole package tbh, the DB air was great over bumps but it was possibly the worst pedalling bike I've ever ridden, it was pretty poor imo.
  • Barrelmaker
    Bennett, thats what i was leaning towards, plus its available pretty much straight away whereas there is a backlog with the CCDB.

Lawman, tell me more, could it have been the shock set up that was out?
  • bennett_346
    Probably because the head angle is 66 degrees, very very slack for a trail bike.
  • Barrelmaker
    Thats what I like about it, the dropouts can steepen it to 67 degrees if need be.
  • bennett_346
    Have you actually ridden it before? Even 67 degrees is quite slack for trails.

This bike will not be fun to ride uphill, half the appeal of trail riding surely?
  • Barrelmaker
    I am used to slack angles, my hardtail is less than 66 degrees and I find climbing on that fine, even steep climbing. Plus, all the other bikes I have been looking at are around about the 66 degree head angle.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The shock was setup fine, usual sag for my weight, but I didn't mess with any of the compression settings, it just bobbed all over the place and the super sticky compound vertstar Schwalbe tyres didn't help, like I say going down it was pretty good, but as soon as it was flat or up it was poor. The spitfire looked like a better ride, another forumite had a ride on it but also wasn't impressed. We both came to the conclusion that were probably the worst bikes we rode on the day.
  • Barrelmaker
    Thanks for your input Lawman. I really like your Mojo, I did consider one but it was out of my budget. Shame as its one of my favourite frames.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The shock was setup fine
    but I didn't mess with any of the compression settings

then it wasn't set up right, and probably why:
    it just bobbed all over the place
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It does sound like the CTD is pretty much aimed at you- as long as the stock tune is right for you then it'll be a good option. it's not so much that you need to fiddle constantly with a more adjustable shock, you just need to put in the effort when you get it, and then maybe every so often thereafter...

Sometimes, you think that a seriously adjustable shock has a million settings, and only one is perfect. Other times, you think that a less adjustable shock has only a few settings, and absolutely none of them is perfect. neither of these options is better or worse ;)
    Uncompromising extremist