1st MTB BUILD - HELP/ADVICE

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello.

I currently have a 2012 Cube LTD CC. It's a 26" Aluminium Hardtail. I suppose you could consider it as a good entry level bike. I had planned to get a new bike in 12-18 months, and just make some upgrades to my current bike in the meantime. However, i couldn't really find enough help when it came to upgrades to make a confident decision on what to get, so i've decided to keep my bike as it is and concentrate on my next bike.

As with most bikes you buy as complete, there's usually some things you don't want on there, or some things you wish it had. As a result, i've decided to build a bike myself, with all the bits i want. A brave decision for a noob, wich is why i'll need all the help i can get.

As i already have a 26" Aluminium Hardtail, i figured i'd go all out the other way and get a full suspension 29" carbon frame. The bike will be required for cross country and trails, i don't really have a desire for extreme downhill stuff, so big chunky heavy frames with long travel are completely out.

I can take my time with this, there's no rush and i haven't set a budget. I'll be after the best i can find and would ideally like the bike to be under 20ibs, wich is sure to be both difficult and expensive, but worth it should i pull it off.

FRAME.
Will a carbon frame be the best choice? A guy on youtube has put me off a bit, saying how carbon frames are'nt meant to last no longer than a season, and how bike shops are full of broken carbon bikes. Ideally, i'd like the frame to have full internal cable routing, with something already in place for dropper post wires, should i decide to get one. These aren't essential points though, just a preference. So, any suggestions on high end frames, carbon or otherwise? Who is making the best carbon frames?

SUSPENSION.
What's the best for this sort of bike? Yes, i want as light as possible, but not at the expense of performance. Any Suggestions?

WHEELS.
Unless anyone can suggest a better option, i'm thinking of going with Eastons EC90 sl carbon wheels. There going to be expensive, between 1k and 2k pounds i think? But there supposedly the lightest wheels in the world. Question is, at that low a weight, will they be tough enough? Also, how are they for maintenance? And how are the hubs? OK, or should i look to get them elsewhere? If so, what should i look for? The faster the better? Any suggestions?

DRIVETRAIN.
Probably going with Shimano XTR throughout, including pedals. Not sure weather to go with trail or race versions. Any suggestions are welcome.

FINISHING KIT. (stem, bar, seatpost saddle)
I've posted for help in this area before and never really got much back so i'm not really expecting much here, but any suggestions are welcome.

EXTRAS. (tubeless tyres, grips, bar ends)
As with finishing kit, thinkin as light as possible, so carbon in mind were appropriate.

The trickiest part will be getting all the bits the right size to fit together, is there a way of finding these things out? Will the frame come with a guide of some sort to let me know what size parts to get?

Is there any other othe parts i'll need wich i haven't mentioned?

All help will be appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments

• welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    I would probably suggest the Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc if money is no object. Seems to be raved about in WMB by Guy Kesteven and I think there are a couple of people on here who have them that can give you a bit more info.

As for strength of Carbon there was a video of Santa Cruz attempting to smash a carbon frame without success!Google it and see for yourself how strong it is.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Parktools will be very handy for you. These frames are gorgeous, paired with some RS SIds. What you were told about carbon frames is rubbish. Wheel wise, you can probably get just as light but cheaper (e.g. stans olympic rims .... others know more about wheels than I do like - nick - njee20). Finishing kit - always liked the look of Easton EC.. then tubeless with rocket rons, foam grips ...

You'll need to pick a frame before anything else so you buy the correct sized everything (watch out for fork steerer size, headset and bottom bracket measurements). All manufacturers should have a frame specification, if not, email them! Would love to have the cash to do this myself :lol: Here's the frame with rigids, would have to be Sids for me though!

Carbon-built-FRM.jpg
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    OP does mention he wants full suss, although that frame does look good! Agree would love to have the money to do this.

Also have you thought rather than XTR going for XX1? Will be a lot lighter I would have thought.
  • tezboy1234
    greer.

I agree that's a nice looking bike. If i were after a hardtail i'd strongly consider it, but i already have one so it's a full susser for my next one. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • tezboy1234
    Welsh.

Your right, that Santa Cruz seems like a great bike. Bikeradar gave it 5 out of 5 in it's review and i've been on youtube were it gets more top reviews. If i were after that sort of bike i'd look no further and snap it up. Unfortunately, the Tall Boy is a trail/all mountain bike were as i'm after a cross country/trail bike. The Santa Cruz at 28ibs plus may prove a bit too heavy for long cross country excursions. I'm thinking more cross country than anything, but with trail capabilities. My fault, i should've been a bit more clear. I'm thinking more along the lines of the sort of bike you'd have seen in the olympics, were a typical weight would be 19ibs-23ibs. But thanks for the suggestion, it does look a fantastic bike.
  • My food for thought:

For premium carbon full sus in 29er guise, you could look at the Intense Spider 29 Comp. It could have too much travel for you at around 4.5", but could be an option. I don't know how well it's been received, but Intense have always been known for making good frames/bikes.

Alternative could be the Niner Jet 9 RDO - http://www.ninerbikes.com/jet9rdo, which is a carbon 29er with 100mm travel designed for 100-120mm forks. Again, not sure what the reviews say, but a potential candidate.

Elsworth do an Evolve - http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/bikes/mou ... ve-carbon/ again with 4inches travel, and Rocky Mountain do the Element 999 RSL http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+Ele ... D=1&Y=2013

Pivot do a Mach 429 carbon, Cannondale do a Scalpel 29er carbon and the wild card option could be a Litespeed Sewanee - designed for 650b wheels with 90mm travel in titanium...

I think there are a few other manufacturers aside from the main ones which could be worth a look, but am not sure what they make/how well they've been recieved, such as Whyte, Yeti and Felt.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Having ridden a Pivot Mach4, I would say the 429 Carbon would fit the bill, the Mach4 feels just like an HT except it smooths the ripples and bumps so you feel like you are on Tarmac...

Left field choice http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTIROCKC/t ... _rt3_shock the Titus frames are great value and have a good rep, you can always upgrade the Monarch if you feel like it (not that it's at all bad).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.