Im back!

Mtaylor2012
Mtaylor2012 Posts: 44
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Well last summer was my full first year of riding and just fancied giving you all abit of a update, so here goes.

Last year i joined this forum looking for general hints and tips i could pick up from people in the know to help me with getting back into MTB after a few years out, im 24 tomorrow and i stopped riding when i was around 18 and got a car. Due to wanting to save money and because i live and work in Warwick i decided a quick win would be for me to get rid of my car/car finance and insurance, not to mention general costs such as petrol, tax, MOT etc, so i took the plunge and got rid of 4 wheels with the intention of swapping for 2.

I signed up to the forum asking for advice (as you do) and wanting to know what i should be looking for bike wise for general commuting to and from work and some moderate trial riding. After a lot of discussion with forum members (particular mention to The Beginner - he was such a big help) id bought my first bike off ebay! Id managed to get a GT aggressor 2.0 for £160, was in spanking condition, hydraulic discs so i was chuffed with my purchase and after a few minor tweaks and upgrades such as replacing the pedals, grips, seat, tyres and disc pads i was ready to get out and do my thing.

First few weeks i took it easy, just commuting to work and getting used to actually sitting on a bike again.... It sounds trivial but my god the first couple of days i had a sore arse! After this i got a bit more adventurous and started going on some local trial routes (after a quick google) which i really enjoyed, i noticed on small drops and more rugged ground my chain kept slipping off (user error or it being too lose i dont know) so i fitted a chainstay to keep it in place which totally resolved the issue.

By September i felt i was ready to take on Cannock Chase and it really didnt disappoint, i absolutely loved every minute of it, my bike held up perfectly and it was actually more because of me letting it down, especially one particular point where i was going far to quick into a steep left turn, forgot i had breaks and went straight into a thorn bush full pelt, all caught on my mates helmet cam much to his and youtubes delight! Over the course of the summer i went up about 5-6 more times and gradually started nailing the bits i was weakest at and improving my fitness no end.

By the end of the year i was hooked and i still am, because of the crappy weather at the start of this year i havent been able to get out as much as id of wanted but im still commuting everyday and getting out when i can. I just this second paid for a new bike which im really pleased about! Ended up favoring the Cube Analogue 2013 for just shy of £600, i know there are others on the market that might be better value for money etc but ive always wanted a cube seeing them on the trails so i went for it.

Im looking forward to another year of riding (if the snow stops and the world doesnt end) and fun up cannock chase. Maybe even venturing to some other rides with some mates.

Just a quick word to anyone thinking about doing it, do it. Dont worry about what to buy, people on here will help you no end if and where they can. I havent posted for a while but ive constantly been reading the posts and it never ceases to amaze me how friendly and helpful everyone on here is. Its the perfect place to start!
2013 Cube Analog
2011 GT aggressor - For sale

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Welcome back, glad it's worked out for you and thanks for the mention, though I'm sure i wasn't the only one to help!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    This was good to read, my feelings are much the same as yours, yes some people on here are idiots sometimes but it is generally a great resource full of awesome people, especially the beginners section! don't think you can get away with talking about the crash and not posting a link though!
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Welcome back. Link to youtube crash please?