Cycling on Sky

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2013 in Pro race
Folks,

Worth checking through the Sky Sports channels if you have them as they've got the odd highlights package on of some races. DDV was on yesterday.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Yes, but were they presented with panache?
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    smithy21 wrote:
    Yes, but were they presented with panache?

Don't start! :wink:
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Yes, I noticed random little highlights packages of Tirreno, clearly ramping up their plans another notch.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    I'm paying the price of these dainty little highlights packages.

Rai have lost live coverage half a dozen of these big Flanders races.
    Pretty sure that Eurosport would have nabbed the Omloop, this year.
    Didn't they have Scheldeprijs, last year?
    Gent-Welegem gone for sure.

Still, whatever rocks your boat.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    Highlights of GW on Sky Sports 4 in HD late on Sunday and through out monday

Sky Sports 4 : More chippers than Whitstable
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I wondered whether Sky might be tempted to buy Eurosport at some point, probably too much of a monopoly though.

Still the issue over some races being free to air though as well.

From a selfish point of view (i'm a Sky sports subscriber) I'd welcome more races going on to Sky, their product is on a different level to Eurosport, but I appreciate that it might not be the best thing for many others and for the sport.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Is it "everything is a chipper" season again?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I don't have Sky. I never will. They better not muscle in and take the coverage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got sky everything other than sports, there's too much toss on there for the cost. If they take over more cycling though, I'll stump up if I can.
    I miss the DTM too.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iainf72

From a selfish point of view (i'm a Sky sports subscriber) I'd welcome more races going on to Sky, their product is on a different level to Eurosport, but I appreciate that it might not be the best thing for many others and for the sport.

I think all they're doing here is hoovering up some existing packages and putting them on.

I have Sky sports but have never watched anything on it (coz I generally hate sport :P )
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I don't have Sky. I never will. They better not muscle in and take the coverage.

Magnificent :D I did worry about you when this thread started. By the way, I applaud your new tactic of hitting the forum with a devastating surprise attack. I think it will be more effect than the relentless application of searingly high pace.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    If I actually get a job when I graduate, and Sky get more cycling coverage, I might be tempted. Looking at what they've done with the F1 coverage, they do tend to do things properly. Having said that, the low key nature of the Eurosport coverage does match the sport.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Macaloon wrote:

Magnificent :D I did worry about you when this thread started. By the way, I applaud your new tactic of hitting the forum with a devastating surprise attack. I think it will be more effect than the relentless application of searingly high pace.
    :lol:

Heavyweight.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Turns out its £21 per month!

Sod that, I'll start watching something less mainstream. Moto GP or something.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    prawny wrote:
    Turns out its £21 per month!

Sod that, I'll start watching something less mainstream. Moto GP or something.

You a BC member? I got notice of a half price offer on Sky sub last week
  • English language Cycling coverage has been excellent this season so far.

Highlights of races you'd normally have to watch on some dodgy European feed.

Rob Hatch, Dan Lloyd, even excellent commentary by Carlton KIrby.

It's not so much a Sky product, like the F1 or football is, it's by a production company such as WCP or GCN that Sky shows on their channels.

It means there are more quality commentators out there which can only be a good thing
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    English language Cycling coverage has been excellent this season so far.

Highlights of races you'd normally have to watch on some dodgy European feed.

Rob Hatch, Dan Lloyd, even excellent commentary by Carlton KIrby.

It's not so much a Sky product, like the F1 or football is, it's by a production company such as WCP or GCN that Sky shows on their channels.

It means there are more quality commentators out there which can only be a good thing

Thought Dan Lloyd with his quiet authority and cliche-free insight was a pleasure to listen to. (Opposite pole to Sean Kelly who likes to slip essential surprise attacks into streams of epic catch-phrases.)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.