Q on Standover/Sizing? - New bike@Halfords

ram_145
ram_145 Posts: 41
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi there, sorry for yet another noob question, but wanted a second/third opinion if I could? Particularly as you chaps know more about bikes that I will ever know !

Have just taken the dive an bought a Boardman Comp from Halfords after much procrastinating and spending more time on the internet choosing than riding!

Anyhoo... the Halfords chaps said that I should get a large 19" frame (not having any to sit on to try it out I agreed and went with their recommendation). Picked it up last night and took for a spin around the block, and it feels really big. Like I'm reaching for the bars? and I have pretty much no stand-over clearance to the top-tube when I'm standing, less than an inch between my precious parts and crushing!

Have adjusted the seat position forward as much as I can, but still feels like I'm reaching.

At 5'11" with a 31" inseam, I'm not sure if I need a smaller frame? Or as the Halfords chap on the phone suggested, "this is how modern bikes are.....you need to get used to it"??

My old clunker bike is an 18", and I didn't feel like it was too big at all.

Before I make a fuss and march the bike back I wanted to get another few thoughts... if you could?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you do seem to have shorter than average legs.

BUT standover is not a measurement to be used.

just think the bike has suddenly lifted by 100mm at the front. that is where the "clearance" has gone.

BUT if you do feel like you are reaching too much it may be too long but without seeing it is hard to say.

might be an easy fix with a slightly shorter stem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Standover is irrelevant....if you have short legs, you have a longer body and therefore will tend to need a larger size as that determines the cockpit length (hard to adjust) the seatpost is adjusted for leg length (and has a large range of adjustment).

Sounds like you are on the right size to me, but personal preferance is more important than anything else, I suspect you would have felt cramped on a 17".

You should feel slightly stretched out on a Boardman, it is a XC style bike. You can move the saddle forward at the clamp (stick within the marked limits) fit a shorter stem, fit more backswept bars (or rotate the ones you have if that works).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ram_145
    Thanks.... I'll run up to the shop and try another medium, they have a medium team I could try out and see if the drop makes any difference.

Appreciate it.

:P
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I had a 19" comp and you are about the same size as me, I've got a 32 inch leg though. I always thought the comp was a bit too big for me, I fixed this a little bit by going to a shorter stem which helped. Then my employer offered me the cycle to work scheme so I took advantage and upgraded to a Boardman FS Team in medium (18"). The difference was apparent straight away, and even then I still use a shorter stem!

Also be careful about moving your seat too far forward as this will affect your geometry on the bike. I find a good rule of thumb is when the cranks are level with the ball of your foot on the pedal, your knee cap should be roughly in line with the pedal axle. If you can't change the bike, I would get the seat in the correct position for pedalling then change the reach with a shorter stem and sweep the bars back more.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • ram_145
    Thanks all... I tried the medium out and it was a night and day difference. Even though the measurements were not that great a change. Picked it up today and quick spin around here...totally different bike to my untrained eye! :D
    Very happy camper now! Just need to wait for a day above freezing to get out and make it all dirty!!

Thanks for all opinions and thoughts.