five ten impact

bigcoose
bigcoose Posts: 41
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, im after a bit of advice.i use v12 flat pedals with fox shoes but find the grip is very poor.will getting a pair of five ten impact shoes make a hell of a difference.i normally ride spd but like flats in really boggy or snowy conditions. :D

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Better pedals will make a much bigger difference. Most shoes will grip OK to good pedals but no shoes will grip well to shyte ones (the v12s). Plus pedals are about half the price to change compared to shoes!

Have a look at superstar pedals, which are £5 off atm.
  • I use impacts with dmr v12 pedals and they stick like the sh*t to a blanket :D
    On One 456
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Better pedals will make a much bigger difference. Most shoes will grip OK to good pedals but no shoes will grip well to shyte ones (the v12s). Plus pedals are about half the price to change compared to shoes!

Have a look at superstar pedals, which are £5 off atm.

Disagree! Good shoes will stick like shit to a stick to pretty much any pedal!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Well i disagree since i usually wear five tens on superstar pedals, and once switched to DMR v12s and was shocked how awful they were.
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    I'm on my second set of Impacts - used them for years now. V.grippy - any old flat pedal (with pins) will be fine with these (I use superstar pedals too - they are great value). Also lots of support in the sole - no achy/cramping feet and they have enough material in them to shrug off the odd light bump (from flying toe munching rocks fired from tyres and the such).

Definately worth (the many) pounds!
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Well i disagree since i usually wear five tens on superstar pedals, and once switched to DMR v12s and was shocked how awful they were.

May have been worse in comparison but were not "awful" at all. I've used them on V8s and they're still very good. The other way round with crap shoes on a good SS nano pedal is much worse.
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I have a pair of 5:10's and can't speak highly enough of them.
    have to disagree with bennett
    I have ss nano's on my specialized enduro and the wife has v12's on her giant trance (which I often borrow as I love the smaller size for ripping round). tbh I cant really tell the difference between the two pedals. nano's are lighter and slimmer profile but both great pedals. both pedals I'm stuck to like glue.
    concorde sums it up nicely: impacts + shit pedal is better than other shoes + good pedal
    get a pair of impacts, you wont regret it!
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • bigcoose
    bigcoose Posts: 41
    Thanks for the info there guys.i took the plunge and ordered a pair so hopefully all will be good. :D