Do You Use Your Bike For Short Trips To Shops etc

mystic.bertie
mystic.bertie Posts: 136
edited March 2013 in Road general
I bought my road bike in august last year then proceded to spend a load but cycling gear including the shoes with cleats, changed my pedals, padded short and so on. I keep my bike in the hall for security and save it rusting in my shed and i thought i would use it more if it was sitting in my hall.

Now what im finding is my bike is not getting used in this weather, mainly because of the cold temps and the wind and rain but also because i am not using it for short trips to the shops or round town that i would normally do with my old mountain bike, which i sold. If i want to go to the shops, i take the car, i cant be bother getting on all the gear to go to the shops, i also dont want to go in the shops with my cycling shoes with cleats on.

so guys do you have a spare bike for this purpose or put on standard pedals so you can just hop on the bike for short runs that are not worth getting all the gear on for ?? I feel i should be using my bike a bit more despite the weather.

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I have a mtb for runs to the shops, i wouldnt really want to lock my road bike up anywhere for even a short amount of time where i live. Plus it has spd pedals so i could wear my shoes but too much hassle for a short trip.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • I bought my road bike in august last year then proceded to spend a load but cycling gear including the shoes with cleats, changed my pedals, padded short and so on. I keep my bike in the hall for security and save it rusting in my shed and i thought i would use it more if it was sitting in my hall.

Now what im finding is my bike is not getting used in this weather, mainly because of the cold temps and the wind and rain but also because i am not using it for short trips to the shops or round town that i would normally do with my old mountain bike, which i sold. If i want to go to the shops, i take the car, i cant be bother getting on all the gear to go to the shops, i also dont want to go in the shops with my cycling shoes with cleats on.

so guys do you have a spare bike for this purpose or put on standard pedals so you can just hop on the bike for short runs that are not worth getting all the gear on for ?? I feel i should be using my bike a bit more despite the weather.

I wouldn't insult my road bike on anything less than 10 mile.

Maybe you should invest in thermals and winter tyres and get some miles in and keep using your car for the shops.
  • They only gear you really need is the shoes for going to the shops. No need to put all your kit on like a Sunday ride. Maybe just carry some spare shoes in a rucksack if you can't walk in cleated shoes.

I commute to work, and normally wear my bibs under my suit to stay comfy, but they stay on most of the day unless I am off the bike for over a few hours. Mind you that rarely happens.
  • I bought my road bike in august last year then proceded to spend a load but cycling gear including the shoes with cleats, changed my pedals, padded short and so on. I keep my bike in the hall for security and save it rusting in my shed and i thought i would use it more if it was sitting in my hall.

Maybe you should invest in thermals and winter tyres and get some miles in and keep using your car for the shops.

How can you insult a bike? I highly doubt it cares about distance.

How can you insult a bike? I highly doubt it cares about distance.

A bike doesn't care at all so am surprised you asked a silly and pointless question really. I was just using a figure of speech to say I wouldn't use "my" road bike to go the shops.
  • i was just using the shops as an example, heck it could be just a few miles to get some fresh air and blow the cob webs away or a run with my daughter. It takes at least 10 mins to get all the gear on and its off putting if you just wanna go out for 30 mins. Its great having the road bike and the a lot of the gear but it does not lend itself to casual cycling.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Vitus Vee1 with flat pedals and a decent lock - sorted!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • fitnesswontlie
    fitnesswontlie Posts: 88
    edited March 2013
    i was just using the shops as an example, heck it could be just a few miles to get some fresh air and blow the cob webs away or a run with my daughter. It takes at least 10 mins to get all the gear on and its off putting if you just wanna go out for 30 mins. Its great having the road bike and the a lot of the gear but it does not lend itself to casual cycling.

Try some M545 Shimano pedals they are clip ons and flat shoes as they have 2 different sides so that mite be of more help. It sounds like it the shoes thats putting you off from what you say so with those pedals it mite help.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... edal-13458
  • I use my road bike to go to the local off licence. 3 beers in my jersey pockets. Mmm, beer.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I ride my carbon di2 jobby to boy Jr's school and football matches, 0.78 and 1.32 miles away. It gives the bike and me a run out, and as I won't be getting a sweat on I'll do it in ordinary day clothes and a normal pair of shoes. It's not even a thought process to pedal on clips in a pair of brown shoes.

It's a bike, with many uses.
  • I think mountain bikes it's more casual to use to get around on for short distance but road bikes is a pain when your trying to keep it casual lol. I tried a casual ride with my friend who bought a mountain bike to lose a bit of weight and I only had my road bike at the time and I was going faster with than him with just a couple of pushes on the pedal so it was a bit frustrating on the brakes.

I was surprised by how different the two bikes was on the road overall so as far as casual riding goes with the kids on a road bike just be patient with the old breaks haha but if you have a MTB then sure small distance isn't really an issue.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Separate hybrid "utility" bike which gets used for nursery run/trip to shops but admittedly only when the weather is better.
  • Try some M545 Shimano pedals they are clip ons and flat shoes as they have 2 different sides so that mite be of more help. It sounds like it the shoes thats putting you off from what you say so with those pedals it mite help.

I think your right it is more the shoe thats putting me off, i know i can ride the road bike with joggers and jacket. I had a look at those pedals, kinda steep at £45 though, it says they are mountain bike pedals will these still be ok.

My bike is not high end but still cost a few hundred quid, i suppose i just want to get some more use out it rather than just for longer cycles when i can be bothered getting all the gear on.

If i were going out with my daughter or just for fresh air, i dont mind just going slow as i have no reason to go fast, i would be happy to just be out on my bike, when using it for this kind of thing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I ride my bike everywhere. Sometimes the 500m to the supermarket. Mini-lock and cable for securing it.
    Shimano SPD-SLs are perfect for long distances in flats (easily 20 miles of pottering - he says....always some SCR to be had, even off your face at 3 am).

2 bottle cages means you can take 2 bottles of wine to dinner parties. The hard part is getting back......and WHEN you pull (not if).
  • Try some M545 Shimano pedals they are clip ons and flat shoes as they have 2 different sides so that mite be of more help. It sounds like it the shoes thats putting you off from what you say so with those pedals it mite help.

I think your right it is more the shoe thats putting me off, i know i can ride the road bike with joggers and jacket. I had a look at those pedals, kinda steep at £45 though, it says they are mountain bike pedals will these still be ok.

My bike is not high end but still cost a few hundred quid, i suppose i just want to get some more use out it rather than just for longer cycles when i can be bothered getting all the gear on.

If i were going out with my daughter or just for fresh air, i dont mind just going slow as i have no reason to go fast, i would be happy to just be out on my bike, when using it for this kind of thing.

Yeah these pedals will be fine I owned a pair when I had my MTB and also I had i think they where shimano M520 or M525's which was kind of the same design and they are really good.

From what you have mentioned I am sure you mind MTB pedals on your bike as your not trying to race your kids but only downside is the price but I will say they are worth the cost but more so for me as I used them on MTB and Road at one time so I did have more use.

I suppose you dont need to get all your gear on then and can be less formal on your casual rides etc.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got spds - you can ride in normal shoes if you're not going far/fast. I also got a new pair of spds pd-m540 - they came with clip on flats - so I now pop those on for casual trips.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    marylogic wrote:
    Separate hybrid "utility" bike which gets used for nursery run/trip to shops but admittedly only when the weather is better.

This. Except it gets used whatever the weather (decent waterproofs are a good investment).
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I ride a couple of miles to a mates and back, once or twice a week, instead of getting the train. I wear jeans, trainers, and a big fat puffer jacket, in which I'm slowwwwww.

However, that's about a fiver a week saved. 250 quid a year, can't sniff at that. The bike can feel as insulted as it likes... it needs to get over itself.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    I use a trek 3 speed hub geared bike with a mahoosive basket on the front and panniers on the rear rack. Can just about get a weeks shopping in that lot.
  • Beckers62
    Beckers62 Posts: 66
    Love this thread... cycling is just that.... cycling.... don't take it too seriously
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Obviously the wifes hybrid is used for shops/school runs etc and is very useful as I would not consider using either of my bikes (although I did once last lear go to an Elvis themed BBQ on my winter bike as wifes had a flat)
    Don't tell her, but thats why I bought it knowing that although she said she wanted and would use a bike the reality was that she wouldn't. I don't think it has ventured more than 1/2 mile from our house with her on it, but I gained much brownie points for the selfless gift :D
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • i was just using the shops as an example, heck it could be just a few miles to get some fresh air and blow the cob webs away or a run with my daughter. It takes at least 10 mins to get all the gear on and its off putting if you just wanna go out for 30 mins. Its great having the road bike and the a lot of the gear but it does not lend itself to casual cycling.

Like I said earlier, you do NOT need all the gear to go out on a non serious ride. You don't see formula 1 drivers wearing their race kit if they are just driving to Tescos.

All this is, of course, of no use if you only are about "looking the part" when on the bike.
  • Coach H wrote:
    Obviously the wifes hybrid is used for shops/school runs etc and is very useful as I would not consider using either of my bikes (although I did once last lear go to an Elvis themed BBQ on my winter bike as wifes had a flat)
    Don't tell her, but thats why I bought it knowing that although she said she wanted and would use a bike the reality was that she wouldn't. I don't think it has ventured more than 1/2 mile from our house with her on it, but I gained much brownie points for the selfless gift :D

I did the exact same thing! She's used it once, ive had international guests of ours use her bike more often than she has. Great use for me though!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Hybrid for everyday shopping etc, beam rack for small shopping trips, trailer for weekly shopping (known as the intensive weight training session in this house!) Road bike for fun.

You need more bikes :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I use my hybrid for short trips to the shops, bookies and off licence. Getting the road bike out of the shed, putting cleats on, checking tyre pressure is too much of a kerfuffle for a 10 min round trip. Sometime I even use my son's BMX. Great fun.

• Yeah these pedals will be fine I owned a pair when I had my MTB and also I had i think they where shimano M520 or M525's which was kind of the same design and they are really good.

From what you have mentioned I am sure you mind MTB pedals on your bike as your not trying to race your kids but only downside is the price but I will say they are worth the cost but more so for me as I used them on MTB and Road at one time so I did have more use.

I suppose you dont need to get all your gear on then and can be less formal on your casual rides etc.

I see there is also cheaper shimano combination pedals M324 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/
    ill try and get some M324 or M525 pedals off ebay second hand. How did you find getting the cleats to lock and release , did this kind of pedal make it trickier??

guys i think for me the combination pedals are the answer, lets me use it for serious riding and casual use.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Yes, frequently put my hipster shit on and pose down the high street on the fixie to get my sherbet dibs dabs.
  • iPete wrote:
    sherbet dibs dabs.

code for carry oot lol :lol:
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    Not to the shops. There's a Sainsbury's Local at the end of the road, and even not changing it would take longer to lock/unlock the bike than it does to walk there. If they even had bike racks.

Most of the time I'll stop at the supermarket when I'm driving past, so no need to cycle there.

I do do shorter trips round town - my commute for a start is often under 10 miles (although I do tend to take a detour on the way to work to make it feel more worth it) and if I've got a local (running) race I'll sometimes cycle there. But quite a lot of time I'm wearing a skirt (before you worry, I am a girl) so it would involve changing or riding my step through hybrid which I don't really like (and which isn't set up with a rack/panniers unlike my commute bike).
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    JamesEs wrote:
    marylogic wrote:

This. Except it gets used whatever the weather (decent waterproofs are a good investment).

I'll go out in bad weather on my road bike but, even with a poncho that covers my daughter in the child seat, high winds (currently coming from Siberia I think) cause an incessant whine - human rather than mechanical.

Well done to those still utility cycling in this weather - kudos to you :D