Who will Sky send to the Giro? (and the Tour)

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited March 2013 in Pro race
Who do you think will make up the Sky squad for the Giro?

Who do you think will then ride the Tour? (in support of Froome?)
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think the team in Catalunya at the moment is basically the Giro team (but with Josh Edmondson playing the part of Joe Dombrowski). Then add Kiriyenka as the ninth man.

Wiggins, Kiryienka and maybe Knees will then go to the Tour and will be joined by Froome, Porte, Sivitsov, EBH, Thomas and maybe Henao or maybe Eisel.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Giro:

Wiggins
    Uran
    Henao
    Knees
    Cataldo
    Lopez
    Dombrowski
    Kennaugh
    Kiryienka

Tour:

Froome
    Wiggins
    Porte
    Eisel
    Thomas
    Boasson Hagen
    Suitsou
    Stannard
    Pate
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Giro:

Wiggins
    Uran
    Henao
    Knees
    Cataldo
    Lopez
    Dombrowski
    Kennaugh
    Kiryienka

Tour:

Froome
    Wiggins
    Porte
    Eisel
    Thomas
    Boasson Hagen
    Suitsou
    Stannard
    Pate

That all makes sense, only change is I can see them not taking Stannard to the Tour, with Thomas, Eisel and EBH they have plenty of muscle for the flat, but who can also help on the lumpier stuff. Can see Lopez doing the Tour after his strong early season
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Giro:

Wiggins
    Uran
    Henao
    Knees
    Cataldo
    Lopez
    Dombrowski
    Kennaugh
    Kiryienka

Tour:

Froome
    Wiggins
    Porte
    Eisel
    Thomas
    Boasson Hagen
    Suitsou
    Stannard
    Pate

That all makes sense, only change is I can see them not taking Stannard to the Tour, with Thomas, Eisel and EBH they have plenty of muscle for the flat, but who can also help on the lumpier stuff. Can see Lopez doing the Tour after his strong early season

Good point. Maybe a bit of heart-ruling-head there with me picking Stannard. Re Lopez, not sure that they will want to take too many riders onto Tour from the Giro, so perhaps Zandio will come in somewhere.
  • inkyfingers
    Hadn't noticed that you had Lopez in the Giro team, so yes, maybe they'll take Zandio as a bit of an all rounder.

Did you get permission before starting a Sky thread?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Hadn't noticed that you had Lopez in the Giro team, so yes, maybe they'll take Zandio as a bit of an all rounder.

I think TWH did it whilst everyone was distracted by Dan Martin's win... :)
  • inkyfingers
    Sorry, as resident fanboy (sic) I assumed you'd started it :wink:
  • Richmond Racer
    Sorry, as resident fanboy (sic) I assumed you'd started it :wink:

Wot-e-ver
    :wink:
  • tailwindhome

I start threads based purely on feel...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

The Spoiler Police will be after you...
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    What about the Vuelta? Absolutely no idea who will go there this year. Porte for team leader? JTL GT debut?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Giro:
    SkyBot 1-8 + Wiggins.

TdF
    SkyBot 1-7 + Froome & Wiggins.

This post sponsored by the Twaliban.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • inkyfingers
    What about the Vuelta? Absolutely no idea who will go there this year. Porte for team leader? JTL GT debut?

Uran?

Though Porte might be a better bet if there's much TTing.
  • RichN95.

Henao as leader is my guess - it's all uphill finishes with little TTing.
  • Richmond Racer
    RichN95 wrote:

Henao as leader is my guess - it's all uphill finishes with little TTing.

Oh gawd, 11 of the blighters. A TTT of 27k and an ITT of 38k
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Giro:
    SkyBot 1-8 + Wiggins.

TdF

Ironically this is pretty much it. The other riders names are largely irrelevant. In a GT they ride hard for their nominated leader, riding exactly to a plan with little ability to shine in their own right. Does it really matter if it is Uran or Henao, Zandio or Lopez. Not really because they will all be doing the same predictable thing and the only consideration is their capacity to do that one thing.

Sky neuters a rider's personaility. Sky follow a plan and this is an application in race conditions of an oft rehearsed structured riding format.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Giro:
    SkyBot 1-8 + Wiggins.

TdF

Ironically this is pretty much it. The other riders names are largely irrelevant. In a GT they ride hard for their nominated leader, riding exactly to a plan with little ability to shine in their own right. Does it really matter if it is Uran or Henao, Zandio or Lopez. Not really because they will all be doing the same predictable thing and the only consideration is their capacity to do that one thing.

Sky neuters a rider's personaility. Sky follow a plan and this is an application in race conditions of an oft rehearsed structured riding format.

So what you're saying is they select riders from a very strong group according to their ability to perform specific tasks in supporting a team leader? My God, what a radical idea.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Yeah, I mean Contador always gets Navarro picked in his GT teams so he can express himself and go for stage wins doesn't he.
  • RichN95.

Such tactics are not the way of a True Champion

ASTANA-1-633x421.jpg

Dani_Navarro.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    meanwhile Stephen Roche is doing his nut at the sight of so much manly chest exposure.
  • RichN95.
    meanwhile Stephen Roche is doing his nut at the sight of so much manly chest exposure.
    At least he can be assured that Nico's personality won't be neutered in service of his team leader
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    At least he can be assured that Nico's personality won't be neutered in service of his team leader

I'm sure he has a binding agreement with Riis that his lad will be able fully express himself by riding with his customary panache to an existentially fulfilling top 20 GC placement.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sky don't race like other teams. There are some similarities because these things are part of the sport, yet their extent, application and one trick pony approach, successfully carried out on occasion due to single mindedness and large bank balances, is different.

If you disagree you need to watch more racing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm sure he has a binding agreement with Riis that his lad will be able fully express himself by riding with his customary panache to an existentially fulfilling top 20 GC placement.

:lol: Poor old Nico. Probably not the only agreement his dad has had with Riis either, dopers like to stick together.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:

Nico has a personality? :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    Sky don't race like other teams. There are some similarities because these things are part of the sport, yet their extent, application and one trick pony approach, successfully carried out on occasion due to single mindedness and large bank balances, is different.

So if Sky are a one trick pony, what's the problem?

There's lots of types of racers for lots of types of races....
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Yes they do. They just do it better.

• nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929

And in one post you undermine the valiant effort and endeavour of countless uncelebrated unnamed domestiques, upon whom our beloved sport is established. Philistine.
  • Sky don't race like other teams. There are some similarities because these things are part of the sport, yet their extent, application and one trick pony approach, successfully carried out on occasion due to single mindedness and large bank balances, is different.

I'm sure they will be relieved to hear this after all the US Postal comparisons. It might only be one person defending them, but marginal gains etc
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I'm pretty disappointed that Roche went to the dopers team, I'm not sure he'll do more than continue as a nearly man and if he does fingers will point....