Anyone here got any cool guitars and guitar gear?

2»

Comments

• CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Not sure if it's cool or not but I absolutely love my 1979 Marshall JMP50 head / cab. Even though I've not actually switched it on for about ten years (when the fuses got nicked) it still looks brilliant in my room.

Hmm, the downstairs flat is still empty - might have to see about getting it serviced a bit and then cranking it...
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Back in 1993 I had been playing guitar for a couple of years and decided to splash out on a decent acoustic (I don't play electric guitars although some are beautiful and I appreciate them). So I went to a local Martin dealer who also made guitars. I tried a Martin 000 and liked it a lot. The chap asked me if I would like to try another guitar so I did. Beautifully crafted and finished and sounded every bit as good as the Martin.

He had made this guitar himself and then went on to show me pictures of guitars he had made for other well known players (Gordon Giltrap was one). Although the wait was going to be a lot longer for his custom made one, I took the plunge and was able to choose the wood, size, finish etc etc. It was made to my specification and is a thing of unique beauty.

I will never buy another guitar. If I knew how to post pictures, I would post one!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I did have a Squier Jazz fretless for years but I had to sell at the time as I was being shafted by a divorce.

A bit like this one....

200764_1_fender_bass_guitar_squier_vintage_jazz_fretless_bass_tobacco_sunburst.jpg

However last weekend I spent the weekend round my sister-in-law's and husband's place and whilst round their mate's house discovered he had a huge collection of guitars, which ended up with a few of us having a jam session(first time I've played in more than ten years) and I played on a Steinberger, like this one....

steinberger-xt-2-bass-1.jpg

OH GOD!!!!!! It's a fabulous thing, very 80's retro I know but a beautiful thing to play....I want one and I want one NOW!!!!! What do you think my chances of talking the missus around to spending nigh on £2000 on what essentially will be an occasional plaything?
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I always wanted a Steinberger bass after seeing Geddy Lee of Rush playing one in 1988. I was so close to buying one when I was about 15 - it was £150. Still kicking myself now!
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I've always had a soft spot for headless guitars - always wanted one of those US Kleins but they were super-expensive. Ended up buying this from the drummer in the band I was in. Really needs a complete refret but good fun all the same, particularly with the gain turned up and the EMGs cranked!

DSC03295.jpg
  • Hollow-legs
    Hollow-legs Posts: 142
    edited March 2013
    My other obsession apart from cycling was collecting and playing japanese replicas from the 1980s &1990s,By replicas i mean japanese made les pauls,stratocasters,..Gibson and fender copies...which are as good good or better than the real thing!!

I have 6 les pauls( Tokai,burny,orville by gibson,fresher, greco )

3 strats,(Tokai,squire,)

1 flying v(Greco)

Had a few more but sold 5 over the years !! I used to buy them straight from yahoo-japan auction site...import them!
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Well I think my guitar's cool, just wish I could play it :D

DSCF20122_zps77f63f21.jpg?t=1364025405

Crap picture, but it's an Epiphone Dot.
  • sev112
    sev112 Posts: 99
    I've got one of these - red Kramer Ferrington from early 90s, not the actual one below but it's the best picture I can find

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-g ... ction.html

Actually sounds much better acoustically than matey boy in the web page suggests, as long as youndontbput wound G strings on it ! Actually put electric strings on it and it sounds fine acoustic , a tiny bit tinny but then it's a narrow body guitar with an electric neck on it.

Great sound through an amp, or even my ipad.

Also got a 1980s Fender f3 acoustic, which after a proper set up is a beautiful guitar
    Plus a very nice Korean classical again from the early 80s

Showing my age now, but compared to many other things we buy and use, guitars certainly maintain their quality, and intestingly still repay you even with limited maintenance.
    Whereas, leav e a trumpet inthe loft for a few years and you need industrial welding gear to get the bits moving
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    My other obsession apart from cycling was collecting and playing japanese replicas from the 1980s &1990s,By replicas i mean japanese made les pauls,stratocasters,..Gibson and fender copies...which are as good good or better than the real thing!!

I have 6 les pauls( Tokai,burny,orville by gibson,fresher, greco )

3 strats,(Tokai,squire,)

1 flying v(Greco)

Had a few more but sold 5 over the years !! I used to nuy them straight from yahoo-japan auction site...import them!

Are your Squiers export JVs from early 80's then?
  • Hollow-legs
    I have only one SQUIRE JV now ,,,,a 62 reissue ,neck date 08-83 serial no jv7**** It is the best stratocaster i have ever played or owned,,better than my TOKAI 84 springy sound ...The neck is beautiful ,,,i would never sell it!!!

I had another later squier from 85 ,,,it was a good guitar but not in the same league as the jv ... :(
  • mfin
    Ah, Ive got a JV 62 from 84 on its way, its a domestic market one though, so its Fender branded not Squier. All USA pickups n that from the Fullerton factory.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Gibson les paul 1960 reissue in cherry sunburst
    Fender tele roadworn
    Takamine en20 c
    Taylor big baby signed by doyle dykes
    Fender 2x12 amp
    Washburn semi
    Laney acoustic amp
    Boss gt5
    And very sad to say all untouched for years sat in a cupboard, cant bring myself to flog it all.
  • Hollow-legs
    Its is a second issue logo squire ,,the Jvs with the FENDER logo only were made for a three or four months ,Mine is a domestic model with sq pickups ,Mine has the squire logo with made in japan underneath... fender marked saddles,,model SST-45

I wish i had a fender logo squire from 82 ,but they are getting silly money now,,and very rare!

Congrats on your new guitar ,,Hopefully you will be blown away by the squire :wink:
  • mfin
    edited March 2013
    Ah, you're in the good years with an 83 one then!

The first few months had Fender logo and small squier logo yeah, so they are rare, then most turned into the ones with the biiiiiig stratocaster writing on them, but there were also completely Fender branded JVs being made in Japan. This is what happened immediately before any Squiers, so from 82 you had Squiers being exported but between 82-84 there were also completely Fender branded ones only being sold within Japan (thats what Ive got) ...well, it continued after that but thats when all the collectable, uncompromised, best ones were made. (this is all from memory from reading up a bit)

I think after the fullerton factory went, CBS being bought out by FMIC and not getting/wanting the factory, there were a lot of Fender made in Japan guitars that were sold through second half of the 80s and from then on. But they were far more mass produced, weren't 80% of Fenders guitars made in Japan for a good while as the new Corona plant wasn't up and running enough to meet demand for a good while.

Basically most japan JVs from 82-84 whether Squier or Fender are all the sweet ones and they are mostly USA hardware too. Most collectable would be an ST57-115 or ST62-115 from 1982 Id guess... those would push £3000 in the best condition I would assume. Those guitars come from an era when the Japanese were asked to make Fenders and they did it as best as they could, bettering the USA guitars of the time many people would say. There's stories of USA Fender guys going to see the guitars to approve them and being blown away by them.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Lefty guitarist here, custom Iceman in white and Fender Squire Telecaster in BSB, aiming to add Les Paul and Firebird to my arsenal soon .....
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I have two basses, neither of which have been played in over 5 years. One is a five string MTD Heir and the other a handmade Hoyt 4 string.

My son recently took a punt on an 80's Peavey Mace valve guitar combined that was for sale in a local market for £25 unworking. We put some valves in it and I fixed some dodgy wiring and it works perfectly.

200 watts of pure creamy valve goodness :-)
  • Hollow-legs
    Hi mfin,,

Yes ! Mine is good un! I think you will love yours when you get it ,,i am a member ,well was a member of the tokai forum & my les paul and also strat-talk forum under the user name MOJO-HOBO ,,,i stopped buying guitars a few years ago as i am happy with the guitars i own now,,,If i aint looking then i cannot buy them :D
    Saved me a fortune :D
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    CIJFenderTele62OLBBodyFull1.jpg
    DSCN3388-Copy-1.jpg

Fender Telecaster - MIJ '62 reissue, double bound in Lake Placid Blue. Picked it up whilst working in Tokyo in 2008. It deserves a better guitar player than me that's for sure :roll:
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • mfin
    Ah, pedals too, Muff's are cool *insert joke here* ...my favourite pedal at the moment is a Fulltone OCD
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Oxo wrote:
    CIJFenderTele62OLBBodyFull1.jpg
    DSCN3388-Copy-1.jpg

Fender Telecaster - MIJ '62 reissue, double bound in Lake Placid Blue. Picked it up whilst working in Tokyo in 2008. It deserves a better guitar player than me that's for sure :roll:
    Yah love those CIJ Teles, just love that binding ....
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Not sure if they are cool, but I like them...
    250px-Left_handed_epiphone_dot_zpsfa6b21a4.jpg
    gdec30_zpsa6e96b58.jpg