Heeeeeeeelp Meeee!

SuperMarco
SuperMarco Posts: 2
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Hey

OK, Im 39 I've had a Mountain bike for some time, I didn't really use it much. Biked to work a few times last summer when I was fit(ish). Then, I got injured playing footy, didn't excercice for ages, ate loads of food and BAM 4 months later nearly put on 2 stone. So thought I better bike to work, went and bought some waterproofs (so I had no excuses). Thought, Right im gonna bike 6to work every day, wind, rain or shine. So yesterday morning I get on my bike and biked to work in light drizzle, 10k took 39 mins. Felt great, come 5 o clock, on the bike, half way home and then was completely knackered, and struggled the rest of the way home (some guy in his 60's sailed past me with ease) took 45 mins. Woke up this morning, got on the bike got to work in 39 mins again..now im here at work feeling shattered, dreading 4 oclock coming as I know I gotta bike home, legs feeling like jelly all day.

1. Why am I so slow, I feel like im working really hard and my mates are taking the mick as they say it should only take 25 mins
2. How can I keep motivated to continue
3. Will it ever get easier
4. Does anyone know how to use a lassoo so I can hitch a ride off a car :)

Tired and Exausted

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    1) Options are you or the bike. If you've had a long break you're not going to be that fit, so don't expect miracles on that front. On top of that if you're using your MTB on the road you'll be making life harder for yourself anyway- make it easier on yourself by pumping tyres up, locking out fork if possible etc. Also make sure you're fuelled up for the way home- if you don't eat much during the day you might struggle.
    2) Dunno!
    3) Yes, definitely- not overnight though!
    4) :D
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    If you do it every day for the next couple of weeks, you'll find it much much easier. You feel you're slow because you're a bit out of shape: that won't take long to sort itself out. In six weeks time, when you are doing it in 25 minutes, you can challenge your mates to a race. Also, if you're still using your knobbly MTB tyres, I'd suggest you invest in a pair of slicks and a track pump to get them up to the right pressure. That'll make a big difference.

In terms of incentives: I book an annual cycling holiday, which gives me something to train for. Doesn't have to be a holiday though. A trip out into the hills at the weekend is great fun, but much more enjoyable if you can actually cycle up them. I also track my miles and set myself a target. Putting a couple of £ 'unspent petrol money' into a jar for every day that you cycle (and therefore don't spend it), might also help.

I hate the trip home too: so I never think about it when I get the bike out in the morning. Concentrate on the 'felt great' bit when you get into work. I do try to make a point of having a sugary snack (a piece of cake/fruit/chocolate bar) at about 3PM to give a bit of a boost for the ride home though.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    SuperMarco wrote:
    im gonna bike 6to work every day, wind, rain or shine.

There's your problem, you've gone from little exercise to exericising every day, just build up slowly & have days off in between to let your body adapt & recover.

You will get fitter this way than by riding yourself into the ground from day 1 and you won't be permanently exhausted and ready to pick up every bug that's going...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    1) your at the beginning of get your fitness back, if you expect it to be easy well sorry but its not, though think of it this way at least you are doing something about it unlike some of your mates.

2) Keep at it, nice and slow & steady and you will see the gains. If you were fit before you will get fit again & less likely to injure yourself by riding than playing 5 a side. Sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth but tomorrow if you don't ride you might miss a good day and always be wondering what if......

3) You know the answer to that, but worth restating yes it will get easier as you get fitter & richer by not driving to work.

4) No answer & I wouldn't even try it. Get yourself on a bike path & ride past as they are stuck in their tin boxes in traffic smug in the knowledge that your getting fitter, saving money, saving time & the environment.

Chin up & keep going, we all go through tough times and becoming unfit through injury then trying to get fit again is hard. There are no cheats, quick fixes or easy ways to do it just put the work in and you will get better & you will know that it was you and only you that made it that way.

If you are still in doubt or feeling down read this - http://littlelioness.net/2012/12/01/im- ... n-one-day/

It has nothing to do with cycling but the content is just as poignant.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Keep going, keep your chin up, it get easier, trust me. I have been there and I know your pain. Forget the guy who sailed past. Keep going at your pace, push yourself as you wish, but just keep at it. You will make it. As for the motivation, use a measurement tool like strava to track your progress if that sort of thing works for you. For me, seeing small incremental improvement in my times over a standard course like a ride to work was very motivating.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    You are expecting too much too soon, keep at it and in a few weeks you'll see a difference.
  • evovilol
    evovilol Posts: 31
    WindyG wrote:
    You are expecting too much too soon, keep at it and in a few weeks you'll see a difference.

Couldn't agree more.

Started commuting six months or so ago myself, never done any fitness training in my life really and it was quite tough initially (which wasn't helped by a 20kg bike). Many days where I got to work but had to leave it there instead of cycling it home. Eventually though my legs stopped feeling like jelly and some time after that I'm happy doing laps of Richmond Park on my way to/from work.

As for motivation I've set up certain routes, to/from work (and others) that I time with GPS on every ride. Google Drive helps me with some nice looking graph like average speed and distance covrered per week. It's aleways nice to see the graphs pointing upwards. :-)

Also, sine I started messing about with the bike, upgrading bits and so on it gives a certain amount of enjoyment trying new bits out and knowing you've put together something for yourself.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Learn to pace yourself so you don't 'blow up', also, make sure you have the right cadence (up around 80-100rpm or more) many people spin slower and although it feels easier it wears you out much faster, takes some getting used to, use your gears so you go the right speed at the right cadence.

My commute is 6.7mile (10km) I average between 16 and 18.5mph on what is effectively an MTB on slick tyres, slicks and higher pressures make a HUGE difference to rolling resistance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I think most of it has been covered but with point 3. No it doesn't get easier, you just get faster ;)
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Like others have said too much too soon try every other day to start with and if you have any trails or trail centres near you give them a go on a day off i ride to work and dont enjpy it really but it helps with fitness for trail riding and for me thats where the fun is. Good luck.