Cheshire Cat postponed until 7th July!

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
Just received an email from Kilotogo and the Cheshire Cat which was due to take place this Sunday the 24th has been postponed until 7th July due to the "bad weather" :!:
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Just seen the distance change then postponed ! Going to book in a hangover instead now...
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    Gutted, all blinkin winter preparing as well... Rule #5 should apply here.. after all the pro's do it...
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I can imagine their insurers had a bit to say on the matter as well. I've ridden sportives when the bad weather has come a bit unexpectedly, but when you can see it coming a mile off...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Gren82
    Gren82 Posts: 48
    A bit gutted but its understandable. Unfortunately i'm doing London 2 Paris that week in July so will miss it. Just hoping I can get on another event or failing that, a refund.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I'm currently sat at my desk about 200 yards from the start line. I can assure you that no one in the right mind would ride a bike 60 - 100 miles in these conditions.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    If you are unable to attend on the alternative date, will you be entitled to a refund?
  • kayo74
    kayo74 Posts: 299
    Good choice wouldn't be enjoyable in this crap UK weather, was cracking weather last year.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    No surprise in this decision, as above last year fab weather :), today rather different , down here it`s been snowing since Thursday evening and now 6" snow, windy and zero degrees. Would be crazy to run sportive in such
  • dead sheep wrote:
    If you are unable to attend on the alternative date, will you be entitled to a refund?

"11) KILO TO GO reserves the right to terminate an individual's ride on health and safety grounds. Rides will only be postponed, re-routed or stopped for reasons of safety. Entry fees are not refundable. Entrants may not transfer or defer their entry. If KILO TO GO has to cancel an event as a result of hostilities, political unrest or other circumstances amounting to force majeure, it shall inform the entrants without delay and shall provide entrants an alternative ride in an event of comparable standard, if available."

So sadly, you have lost £35 or whatever it cost to enter.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    dead sheep wrote:

"11) KILO TO GO reserves the right to terminate an individual's ride on health and safety grounds. Rides will only be postponed, re-routed or stopped for reasons of safety. Entry fees are not refundable. Entrants may not transfer or defer their entry. If KILO TO GO has to cancel an event as a result of hostilities, political unrest or other circumstances amounting to force majeure, it shall inform the entrants without delay and shall provide entrants an alternative ride in an event of comparable standard, if available."

So sadly, you have lost £35 or whatever it cost to enter.

Just because something is in t&c's does not make it legal. Ultimately it comes down to points of law (in England and Wales, as in KTG t&c's!)

An example would be this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfair_T ... #section_2

I think we will see refunds offered in time. I think KTG is a small outfit and when the get their head out of the sand (or snow!) And start thinking clearly then it will all come out in the wash.
  • JamesB
    I do not understand why people are asking for a refund (OK I didn`t enter it this year but did last and really enjoyed it); the event has been postponed and an alternative offered through conditions entirely out of their control.

On occasions I have entered a sportive and due to ill health not ridden it; I`ve not had a refund (although in a couple cases organisers have offered me a place in another event as event was full so I let organisers know so they could offer place to reserve lists) and would not have expected one.

Having paid up entry fee, event is postponed, choice of another date offered. What reason is there for a refund?
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    ^^^^ its very simple...

THEY change the date to one you wouldnt have entered or cant attend. Its not too much to expect a refund when you wouldnt have paid your £35 in the first place if that was the event date. You pay your money for an event on 23 March and then it gets changed to an event on 7 July, so it seems only reasonable to expect a refund if you cant attend.

Its not the same as asking for a refund simply because you decide you dont want to do the event any more.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • JamesB
    Fair point :) then maybe KTG should be offering either a refund or event on altered date or an equivalent event?
  • This is an intriguing thread.

Personally speaking, the organisers do get some of my sympathy. I guess that they will subject to cancellation fees linked to venues, outriders, contractors, so on and so forth. So, 100% coverage of refunds would be potentially problematic. Saying that, there are various options they could offer:

1. Postpone the event (as they have already offered).
    2. Offer an alternative event within the Kilotogo portfolio for those unable to attend the July date.
    3. Provide a refund upon application. This lost revenue would easily be recouped in July by potential new entrants aware of Kilotogo's reputation.

Such an approach would protect their income and their reputation, whilst offering alternatives to their loyal customer base. I rather suspect that they will be considering these alternatives. Last week's single decision to postpone would have been hurried as a consequence of the need to undertake a last minute decision in light of the weather forecast.

It must have been a tough call last week. Clearly, it was the right one considering the materialised weather.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Well,

There is a chance for a secondary event if you're not able to do the cat... Have a read of the email that was sent..
    More on the postponement of Wiggle Cheshire Cat

We emailed you last week to inform you of our decision to postpone the 2013 Wiggle Cheshire Cat to 7th July. We left the decision as late as possible to get the most accurate weather information but also as soon as we could to give people time to cancel any travel/accommodation arrangements and re-plan the weekend. Now the dust, or rather snow, has settled we can now tell you about some further important actions and options.

The re-scheduled Cat date is set and, as an officially registered participant you need to retain your Ticket to Ride. However, we appreciate that in some cases people may already have commitments or another ride booked for 7th July. If that's you then just send an email to contact@kilotogo.com by 29th March from the email address registered in your kilotogo account, specifying your rider number and we'll handle your transfer to our brand new Wiggle Shropshire Mynd sportive (full details available soon) which takes place on 15th September. This is the 'second option' for those who are unable to ride on the 7th July as a result of the postponement. What we can reveal about this new sportive ride here and now is that the event HQ for is only 36 miles from Crewe. Again, hang on to that all important Ticket to Ride as your chip and number activation will also be transferred.

If your original Wiggle Cheshire Cat rider pack never arrived in the post because we had to retain it, now is also an opportunity to log-in to your kilotogo account and check the reason why. Is your address wrong/in-complete? Have you been entered as part of a group by a friend and still not gone online and signed your e-disclaimer? Please check / complete this information – again by that all important date of 29th March – and we’ll post your original Wiggle Cheshire Cat Ticket to Ride to you. If your pack is lost in the post or retained for any other reason we can still sort things out at our service desk on the day.

Make sure you stay tuned in to our emailings for more news on this and all our other 2013 events.
  • Gren82
    Gren82 Posts: 48
    Booked on to their alternative, the Shropshire Mynd along with a couple of friends who were also doing the Cheshire cat. Look forward to finding out the details
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    There is now a group set up for complaints and to register your request for refunds...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4327839 ... ts&fref=ts
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    I raised the matter with my credit card company and they have provided me with a refund. I assume that they will be pursuing the debt with Kilotogo. However, a refund under the value of £100 is at the discretion of the credit card company.