Sram Rear Derailleur - benefits of X9 over X7?

CommyAdam
CommyAdam Posts: 70
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey,

currently running Sram X9 10spd rear derailleur on my 2012 Meta SX, my riding is Trail, Enduro-y type stuff, and a rare uplift day but am off to morzine in august/september, basically, it appears to be bust; there is no tension whatsoever and im presuming its beyond repair. As such it needs replacing, and as per the subject i was wondering whether to replaced with another x9, or, in these austere times would an X7 be fairly similar in terms of performance?

Looking at their specs on CRC they seem pretty similar, perhaps a small weight difference (but im not too obsessed with that so not too bothered on that front)...

In response to my query i was hoping for specific points, i.e the X5's are notorious for breaking, the bearings in an X7 are significantly better etc... in order to help me weigh up how important it is to replace with an X9. I am wondering whether or not the X5 would be the best bet for replacing a broken rear derailleur on a budget?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Get an X9 type 2.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    X7 ar epretty notorious for being sloppy in the pivots. X9 aren't. Not sure about X5 though, might be worth a punt.
  • CommyAdam
    CommyAdam Posts: 70
    Get an X9 type 2.

I would like to, but funds are a little low, is that what you're currently using? i know its a 'clutch type' mech, are the benefits that significant?
    warpcow wrote:
    X7 ar epretty notorious for being sloppy in the pivots. X9 aren't. Not sure about X5 though, might be worth a punt.

thanks, that's the sort of feedback i'm interested in, if the x7 means i will inevitably be replacing it in 6 months then worth spending the extra on the x9, even my x9 rear mech has already died within a year.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got short cage X7s on two bikes have not had any problems with them. Another bike has X9 again no problems. The only thing I would say is that the replacement SRAM jockey wheels are much better than the originals.

I think the shifters and the cabling makes more difference than the mech itself and when they're covered in crap who can tell if its X7/X9/Xwhatever?

FWIW my thinking is that if an X7 gets wasted it's no hardship