Beginner to 60 mile charity ride in three months?

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I started riding in Feb, on my ancient old cheap Rayleigh MTB. A couple of weeks ago I got a hybrid and completely and utterly got the cycling bug. I love my new bike so much it's a bit wrong. :D

Longest weekend ride I've done so far is 17.5 miles, which was fine - no soreness/tiredness after. Going for 20 miles this weekend.

There's a charity bike ride on 19th May in my local area, which is 60 miles. I'm considering signing up. But is it possible to get fit for it in two months?

I'm reasonably fit in general. Most holidays are spent in the Lake District hill-walking, so I'm used to doing full-day slogs! I did my 17.5 mile ride in 1hr 15mins and am hoping to do my first 20 mile in 90 mins.

Comments

• grazza_e
    grazza_e Posts: 36
    I think 60 miles should be plenty do-able. I found in my very early cycling days that as long as you could get to about 80% distance before the event a little adrenaline will get you through the day.

You will find loads of advice on here, but if you ramp your distance up gradually, and learn to focus on nutrition and what fuel you need for your long rides, you should be fine. Of course your 60 mile sportive might be up a few mountains for all I know, but assuming your training is over similar terrain i'd say go for it!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Just build it up gradually & you will be there. TBH you will have 1/3 of the ride by today & if you keep going that way your goal is not that far off. If your getting into biking just make sure you give your butt time to adjust to the seat as it can take a little while to get used to if your doing longer distances in a short period.

Would advise some chamois cream as a good investment.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • robertsims
    robertsims Posts: 141
    No worries, when I started I was same situation and did about 20miles. Just added 5 miles a week, you'll easily be at 60 in 3 months. If find hard going one week, then just try do same next week (with no increase)
    Triban 3
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I did the exact same last year and yep, it's easily doable.

just get out there riding regularly (and resting) and you'll be fine. It's not as long a distance as you think
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    Yes, I would say that it's doable. You need to build up your training so that you can do 40 - 45 miles without being too knackered. The rest of the distance you will do on the day as, the event will help and the thought of your longest ride to date.

There are two things though that I would suggest you bear in mind. As you are likely to be on the bike for several hours, you need to think, not only about drinking but also eating. Use part of your training routine to find the foods that you like and will fuel your ride. Do not experiment with food on the day of the ride. The other thing is forget about time and average speed. Maintain a speed that you are comfortable with, yes push yourself sometimes, as you build up the mileage. Remember that it is not a race. It is very easy to go out too fast and struggle in the second half.
  • pinkteapot
    Thanks for the encouragement all!

Re food, I'm used to this in some ways from hill-walking. We do full day walks and although the ride will burn more calories, the principles will be similar. I'm well aware from walking of how easily I bound up the mountains when properly nourished, compared to how sluggish I am when I'm not.

The ride in question is the Tour de Tendring in Essex - which will be pretty flat and is all on road. :)
  • I used this training guide...
    http://www.action.org.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/events/generic/generic_cycling_training_guide_2.pdf
    To do my first sportive.

I trained up to 85 miles to do 65 on the day so that I wasn't completely dead at the end.
    Don't shy away from hills during your training as there are bound to be a few bumps. Essex isn't all flat.
    Easily doable in 3 months if you are motivated.
    Good Luck :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • pinkteapot
    My weekend rides so far have been around the Stour valley so not completely flat. :)

Worked out I can increase by five miles per week and get to 60 miles right on time. I won't have time to overshoot and do more than 60 before the day but hey, it's meant to be a challenge. ;)