tubeless, tubeless ready....whats the difference?

xchudy_1325
xchudy_1325 Posts: 85
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
i pick up my bike hopefully today, maybe tomorrow, but everything i read seems to point at the tyre's wheels and being the most worth while upgrade to the bike from its stock form,

thing is i have no idea whats good and what isnt, how much id be looking to spend ect...

tubeless? folding? what are the differences?

whats a good upgraded wheelset and tyres on a budget?

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    What bike you getting? Tubeless means it is currently set up with no tubes in it, tubeless ready generally means you need to replace a rim tape (sometimes it's already ok) then take out the tubes and add latex, so not set up out of the box.
    Wheels cost anywhere from £250-1000 depending on how good you want them! Hope make good wheels and hubs, as do shimano although they often use different discs. Ask in your local shop, they may well be able to build you some to your spec cheaper than you would think!
  • mattv wrote:
    What bike you getting? Tubeless means it is currently set up with no tubes in it, tubeless ready generally means you need to replace a rim tape (sometimes it's already ok) then take out the tubes and add latex, so not set up out of the box.
    Wheels cost anywhere from £250-1000 depending on how good you want them! Hope make good wheels and hubs, as do shimano although they often use different discs. Ask in your local shop, they may well be able to build you some to your spec cheaper than you would think!

the bike is a giant defy 3 2013
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    MY FEELING is that tubeless has no place in high pressure road riding. The many drawbacks are not counterbalanced by any advantage and the industry which was hot on the product a couple of years ago is already cooling down... I don't see a rush towrds tubeless tyres as someone had anticipated.

As for your other question... a folding tyre has a bead made of plastic fibres, lighter and more flexible than a non folding one which has a steel wire. They both work well, but the folding "feels better", being less constricted at the edges... it also weighs a few grams less if you are bothered about these things
    left the forum March 2023