hi my name is Andrew im new to sports in general

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
hi my name is Andrew I mostly play pc games like a nerd LOL but recently my pc blew up well the hard drive melted so I decided its time for a more active fun/aggressive hobby now not really did any sports since I was like 16 im now 23 nearly 24 im hoping to try mountain biking once I find a bike a in my budget check my forum post on buying advice for the details of that. so far its not looking gr8 but I can hope ebay and gum tree come out with something decent. without sounding totally stupid how does one go about mountain biking . I live in small market town really not many mountains about. is there clubs and stuff that go on "trips" is it more a solo thing.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MTBing is definetley a group social activity, wherever you are there will likely be a local club, formal or informal, that ride together, you just need to do some searching about, post your location and someone here may know of you're area. You don't need mountains, after all the Olympic even was held in the middle of Essex.

Bike wise, I would suggest something like a used Carrera Vulcan, make sure it has disc brakes, you should be able to pick one up for £100-150. They aren't brilliant, but they are not bad either, cheap and (relatively) easy to maintain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I go out on my own a fair bit. Make sure you have a phone and possibly Strava to compete against/satisfy the nerd side of you.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    seems I don't drive finding a "decent" bike for my price range is turning out to be pain in the butt find a nice bike they wont deliver I find a nice with delivery someone bids a mega amount on it.

was considering cycle to work scheme and jus getting a nice new specialized rockhopper or something from town but im a little bothered with the fact I would never own the bike jus rent it. I prefer to own out right.
  • orbdemon
    orbdemon Posts: 12
    You'll be renting it for 12 months, you'll usually have the option to buy it cheaply and own outright after that.

To all intents ad purposes, you own the bike.

Would echo the comments regarding Strava - it's a great motivator to challenge yourself and friends (without having to always physically ride together).