Cancellara exchange with journalist

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited March 2013 in Pro race
The press conference on Tuesday was almost as interesting as the sprint finish to Tournai. Cancellara came into the pressroom to respond to questions and then Cavendish joined in. The last question to Cancellara perked ears. Journalist: “Is your team or the others envious of Sky?” Fabian Cancellara: “What’s so special? Their cars? The nice helmets? I don’t know, you have to tell me, I don’t know.”

J: “The level of detail. For example, how we see them warming down. You don’t see other teams doing that.”

FC: “Warming down?”

J: “Yes, cycling outside the bus.”

FC: “Ah, rollers (he pronounced it ‘Rulers’ – ed)!”

J: “Yeah, cooling down.”

FC: “No, I’m not jealous now. First, that’s most important, you have to do in what you believe and in what you think is best for you. They just do what’s best for them and I do what’s best for me. What I’m going to do now? I don’t know, maybe go swim, go on my rollers or I’ll go jumping around, I don’t know. Everyone has his best way. What matters in the Tour is recovery, recovery, recovery. We have a nice cook who does a great job. Every night we get high-level food. We have our soigneurs. I saw 10 teams in the Tour de Suisse doing rollers after the race, but you have to keep doing what you believe in. That’s important.”

Cavendish comes into the room.

MC: “Can I ask, who asked that last question?”

J: “Me”

MC: “You’re banned from asking questions to me. That’s mental! You’re banned from asking questions.”

First of all, Cancellara is a legend.

Second of all, anyone have an inkling of where this was from?

Third of all, Cavendish's character is always pleasing.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    Cav is a legend
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Why does it seem to be only cyclists who talk about 'warming Down' and not ' cooling down' ?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,311
    inseine wrote:
    Why does it seem to be only cyclists who talk about 'warming Down' and not ' cooling down' ?

It isn't. It's standard to warm down in pretty much all sports.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    inseine wrote:

What's the thinking behind your sig? Seems a bit disrespectful towards Mr Obree. Why would you want to do that?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    'tis a direct quote from the man himself...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Oh right. Ha, funny fella he is. Carry on.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    inseine wrote:

More to the point, why is it that many pro cyclists take such a casual attitude towards it? In other sports they get out there and warm down straight after finishing and in most cases they have a few days at least before they compete again whereas cyclists have to race day after day yet they will jump straight onto a team bus, travel for possibly a few hours to a hotel and then, if they feel like it, do a bit of swimming or set the rollers up. The sport just still seems so amateur in many ways.
  • Unfortunately there has been wide spread 'other forms of recovery' used in cycling this past 20 years that simply negates the need for warms downs. If cycling has changed then riders caught in the past (when they had no need to warm down) better wise up, as the warm down does have significant benefits for recovery.
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:
    inseine wrote:

More to the point, why is it that many pro cyclists take such a casual attitude towards it? In other sports they get out there and warm down straight after finishing and in most cases they have a few days at least before they compete again whereas cyclists have to race day after day yet they will jump straight onto a team bus, travel for possibly a few hours to a hotel and then, if they feel like it, do a bit of swimming or set the rollers up. The sport just still seems so amateur in many ways.

And I love this sport. I would eschew watching every single sport vs just this one. Pure beauty which transcends your typical sport.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    inseine wrote:

What's the thinking behind your sig? Seems a bit disrespectful towards Mr Obree. Why would you want to do that?

OT

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/obree-c ... hum-ocracy

Admirable, funny, straight-talking, knowledgeable and a seriously great rider. Heavyweight (r).
  • Second of all, anyone have an inkling of where this was from?

I'm guessing the first Tuesday in the Tour, because Tournai was the stage finish on the Monday when Cav won.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Pross wrote:
    inseine wrote:

And I love this sport. I would eschew watching every single sport vs just this one. Pure beauty which transcends your typical sport.

Me to but when you look at the lengths riders have gone to over the years to aid recovery and yet they often seem to not bother with one very simple method.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Pross wrote:
    inseine wrote:

True. But athletics comes close.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,615
    Probably doesn't provide that much benefit. I don't notice any difference on my bike.
  • frenchfighter
    skylla wrote:

Is this a joke? If not, I would genuinely like to hear your argument?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    skylla wrote:

Is this a joke? If not, I would genuinely like to hear your argument?

Scantily dressed woman is the only thing I can think of :oops:
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Thats certainly a good enough reason...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    There's a purity to athletics. Who can run the fastest. Simple. Probably need to cut down the events though. Maybe to 100, 1500 and marathon. For field, you could have jumping high, jumping long and throwing. The rest is just filler.

Boxing is up there for me too, the definitive "one bloke attempting to knock out another bloke" sport. Brutal and compelling, and at least as filthy as cycling.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,311
    Oh right. Ha, funny fella he is. Carry on.

He is indeed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:Why does it seem to be only cyclists who talk about 'warming Down' and not ' cooling down' ?

I wasn't being totally serious and I was talking about the phrase not the act. I don't wait for my coffee to warm down and you don't say 'oh, I wouldn't touch that 'til it's warmed down' would you? Seems like other sports talk about cooling down. (end of pedantry :oops: )
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    I thought cooling down became warming down in most sports about 5-10 years ago.
    I think the point is that the fastest way of cooling down is to stop (which is what most of us do), which might not be the best for recovery.
  • inseine

I thought cooling down became warming down in most sports about 5-10 years ago.
    I think the point is that the fastest way of cooling down is to stop (which is what most of us do), which might not be the best for recovery.

That actually makes some sense...
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    MadMax got it right, it's warming down because you are keeping the muscles warm but bringing the level of intensity down to slowly let the muscles relax.

On the topic of warming down, keep in mind that cycling is one of the few sports where the athletes get massage after every competition. In many ways that can totally replace doing a warm down on the bike and even surpass it.
  • JackTar
    JackTar Posts: 77
    I was at Lansdowne road stadium last summer, they have two side-by-side pools in the home changing rooms, they fill one with hot water and one with cold water, and the players go from hot to cold and back again several times after a match, they think it speeds up recovery a lot.
  • ddraver
    ample opportunity for some shrinking penis jokes as well, which is reason enough to put it in a rugby club... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558

MC: “You’re banned from asking questions to me. That’s mental! You’re banned from asking questions.”

It's been bothering me all week so I may as well ask. Are we assuming that Cav was taking the piss or completely serious?
  • ddraver
    Serious I would guess

You have to hand it to him, he's very good at stamping his authority on press conferences....
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    hmmm... I was hoping that he was doing an ironic impersonation of armstrong. But then Cav isn't known for being the brightest spark...
  • ddraver
    :roll:

give me strength...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    dish_dash wrote:

It's been bothering me all week so I may as well ask. Are we assuming that Cav was taking the wee-wee or completely serious?
    You can assume that just as long as you assume it was a totally different Mark Cavendish, one that has a history of tolerance to (perceived) stupid questions from journalists.
    Twitter: @RichN95