Route in North Devon

rich164h
rich164h Posts: 433
edited March 2013 in Road general
Hi,
I'm heading down for a weeks holiday next week just to he west of Bideford and I thought I'd take my bike and try to get some miles in. Can anyone recommend any routes, or even particular roads/climbs that are worth making an effort to ride?

thanks

Rich

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    To be honest, in that part of the world you are spoiled for choice. Nice quiet country roads and plenty of climbing of the short and steep variety. If you fancy getting a good few miles in I would say head up through Barnstaple, Muddiford and then over towards Lynton and do a bit around Exmoor.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Tarka trail is 30miles of flat smooth cycle track with some good views and shouldn't be too busy at this time of year. Depends how many people come down for easter and fancy renting a bike.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    lawrences wrote:
    Tarka trail is 30miles of flat smooth cycle track with some good views and shouldn't be too busy at this time of year. Depends how many people come down for easter and fancy renting a bike.

Traka trail is nice, especially when the sun is out - the ride from Bideford to Braunton and back would be about 35 miles I think. It is pancake flat though and probably the easiest miles you will ever do, even my Mrs managed the full distance without too much moaning :lol:

Carry on from Braunton out towards Saunton, Croyde, Woolacombe and stick to the coast roads if you want some amazing sea views and hills, the climb out of Woolacombe through Morthoe is hardcore.

Here is a bikely route that would do you ok - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Croyde-Loop

Tag that on the end of the tarka trail and that would be a nice ride.
  • litwardle
    litwardle Posts: 259
    Hi chap,

If you're on Facebook have a search for Bideford Peleton & Fremington Flyers. Loads of local lads on there that can give you some route advice.
  • gog555
    gog555 Posts: 63
    I'm in the area at the same time as well, staying in Appledore and going down easter Saturday. Taking the bike as well. Look to be some good routes around there.
    What state are the roads in?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Braunton to the puffing billy at Torrington on the Tarka is absolutely gorgeous with a huge variety of scenery and a scary tunnel. Tarmac all the way and perfectly suitable for a roadie if a little bumpy in places. I did it today with a bit of a loop at braunton and was 42 miles. Nice cafe at fremington halt on the trail with sitting outside and cakes, cream teas or meals. Beyond Torrington it isn't really suitable for a roadbike. Of course you could follow the route of last years tour of Britain... Plenty of good routes and roads are pretty good
  • d87francis
    d87francis Posts: 136
    Porlock weir and Lynton are definitely worth checking out - brutal climbs but beautiful scenery (check out Watersmeet near Lynmouth,). Also Lynmouth has a yearly raft race that we happened to arrive on the day it was taking place, it was great fun throwing a few flour bombs at some rafts. :)

I was pleased to watch this having done a cycle touring holiday down there and back with my partner last summer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dgc5g
    I didn't manage to catch any of the other episodes annoyingly.
  • jezzasnr
    jezzasnr Posts: 225
    The Bideford peloton group are pretty active, usually meet at 6:30pm outside the bike shop in Bidegord for 1-2 hour evening rides, and 8:30 on a Sunday morning. As suggested, have a look at the FB page.
    The route mentioned above out through Mudiford is good, but the road was closed last Sunday, not sure when its due to open again.
    ....like it's golden
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    Excellent stuff guys, much appreciated.