Who is doing a first sportive this weekend?

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Just wondered how many of you ou there are doing their very first sportive this weekend, what pushed them to do it and what they are looking forward to/fearing the most? :?:
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mine's in just over 2 weeks. I was hoping to have done more preparation for it, but the weather isn't cooperating. I feel sorry for those starting this weekend, the forecast says it's going to be freezing with a brisk easterly wind :shock:

My motivation was simply one of curiosity upon the discovery that there was a sportive setting off just 2 miles from my front door. Now I'm slightly bemused that I've parted with £28 for the privilege of riding on the roads I usually ride on, just with added cyclists and a couple of feed stops I'll be tempted to ride past in order to save time...
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ...doing the South Downs sportive on Saturday, though its by no means my first. I expect it will be popular with first-timers, though, as it offers 3 routes and isn't too demanding hills wise.
    I do remember my first one almost exactly 2 years ago...the Vo2 in Kent...this was our first big run in preparation for our London to Paris...I must admit it was much harder than i'd anticipated as I'd never done so many back to back hills ( a few tasty ones too...Toys Hill, Ide Hill, Hubbards Hill right at the end - I walked!) and vowed never to do one again!..."these things are crazy" I thought - "they seek out all the tough hills and route you up them, where logically we should be avoiding them..!"....
    ..of course, for this reason, they're a great way to get your fitness up and I now always like to have a sportive on the horizon to give me something to aim for...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    keef66 wrote:
    Mine's in just over 2 weeks. I was hoping to have done more preparation for it, but the weather isn't cooperating. I feel sorry for those starting this weekend, the forecast says it's going to be freezing with a brisk easterly wind :shock:

My motivation was simply one of curiosity upon the discovery that there was a sportive setting off just 2 miles from my front door. Now I'm slightly bemused that I've parted with £28 for the privilege of riding on the roads I usually ride on, just with added cyclists and a couple of feed stops I'll be tempted to ride past in order to save time...

Doing a local one soon too. It was too tempting that I could cycle to the start.
    Mine was not quite as expensive. Is yours chip timed? Do not think mine is.

Only my second (both 64) but I did not really go for it as much as I could have on the first one I did.
    Feel the same about stopping. Wanted to see if/what timed I could do it in one, but love the freebies to much 8)
    Think i'll just do a quick stop and grab :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yep, got the link to the pre-event info today. Says turn up with your helmet so they can stick the disposable timing chip to it. Looks like I'd need to average >14 mph to make it out of the bronze category; best I do on solo rides is 15 mph. Never ridden in a group so it'll be interesting to see if I go any faster; >15.5 mph would get me Gold! However if it's windy on the day I think I'll admit defeat and stop and pig out at the feed stations :D
  • Anonymous
    Mmmmm, I did not know they did awards.
    I'm going for gold and then cycling back to the feed station if mine does that :D
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    I did the No excuses one last weekend with my other half and a friend. It pissed it down for 2 hours and there was a nasty headwind for the first 15 miles. All good fun... The 80 mile course was called off so everyone did the 40 mile route so it was busy at times. Good to see a big turnout

I'm signed up for the one in Newmarket on the 7th which I think is the one that Keef66 is talking about. Hoping the weather will be better. It will be grim if it's any worse!
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    Doing the Sportive photo with mate starting at Godalming this Sunday - 1st ever sportive doing the short 54 miles - but managed to do a training ride at 50 miles at 14.7mph with 5min stop at 40 miles.
    Also did a 30 mile in the rain (only to see what it feels like - mad I know!) Usual rides round hilly South Downs are 30 - 40 miles. So feel OK but am praying to the rain gods all week!!!
    Always have done hilly riding but never more that 50 miles so looking at some full day rides in the summer 75 miles plus. Am doing one sportive a month this year
  • My first sportive is the Southern Spring Classic this Sunday. 76 mile route.

I got my road bike at the end of October and fell in love...with the sport not the bike! (carrera zelos)
    For me, at first it was all about fitness but after doing my first 50 miler on new years day I needed some sort of challenge. So I've challenged myself to complete 10 cycling 'events' this year. I've signed up to Southern Spring Classic, A 86km cycle race by a local triathlon company, Sussex Surrey Scramble 100 miles and The Long One 126 miles. I'd definatly like the do the wight ferry sportive.

So i've been getting big miles in most Sunday's and then shorter faster rides when I can. My longest ride is 72miles.

The only thing I fear is getting up so early and not being able to fuel up properly. It's purely mental so we'll see on the day if I can MTFU!
  • Anonymous
    Think I might be in newmarket for the 7th. Just been generally riding so far this year, although have the LVIS Audax in Bristol this year. Oh dread - probably going to be a killer - 210K or so!
  • foxydan
    foxydan Posts: 83
    Did the Wiltshire Wildcat the other weekend and also doing the South Downs sportive this weekend. Looking forward to it and hope the weather stays dry.

Looking at the avg speeds to achieve gold, silver etc look simple but are deceiving. I thought the same in my last sportive when 15.5avg would get a gold. Little did I know that i had horrible crosswinds and a hill which had part a 14% gradient on. Ended up with a bronze even tho on trainig rides been avg over the gold time. Depends on the day i think.
  • Just done my first one, went for a medium length 80 mile Jodrel Bank Classic Cheshire, and my reasons were:-

- Fun
    - Challenge yourself (you can do 25/50 etc on your own at the weekend)
    - Experience riding in with a much bigger group
    - Justify some of that bike spend :)
    - Aim for the gold standard
    ....& see if I like them and I do so enter some more now :)
  • entered the cheshire cat 100 miler which is this sunday,entered to do my first 100 miles,got a few friends to do it aswell so should be a good day,not worried bout mow cop but will be dissapointed if i dont get all the way to the top. aim is to do the 100,get to the top of mow cop and get the medal and try get bronze time and then aim for silver next year.