Do you spit or swallow?

simonhead
simonhead Posts: 1,399
edited April 2013 in The bottom bracket
So your riding along, minding your own business and all of a sudden you inhale a daddy long legs or other flying insect. Its stuck at the back of your throat and still alive as you can feel it moving around, do you:
a: try and spit the bugger out hacking rasping cough
b: swallow it washed down with a bit of water in your bottle
or
c: try an let it crawl out of its own accord?
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Deffinate spitter, gob 'em out.

The worst is when gasping on some ride with the gob wide open and a fly goes straight in without touching the side and rattles your clack good un proper.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Having watched Holby City I normally perform a tracheotomy and then give it a good shafting. Whether it chooses to spit or swallow is entirely its decision but my recommendation certainly does not favour the latter.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Not really in the spirit of the OP but daddy long legs are extremely poisonous they just lack a method of injecting this venom (nature!) so probably best if not eaten.

Flies don't wash their feet, but all other bugs are just extra protein.

If it was a swallow, particularly the african swallow, the feathers would get stuck in your throat.

As a vegetarian I have given this a lot of thought :D

Mrs T says, no comment :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Lagrange
    so simply speaking you spit?

No need to make a meal out of this.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Jens Voigt had some pearls of wisdom on this very subject:

"Funny thing happened to me in today stage! A bee was sitting on my lip and i thought leave the bee in peace, she won't sting you...Wrong guess, she did, and then i decided to live up to my image and swallowed her and did chew every bit of honey out of that bee!!! Take that little bug as punishment for messing with me!! And then my lips start to swell an i felt like a stupid Hollywood Starlet with my blown up lip, i looked like i just had some botox!!hahaha But all good now, lip looks normal again, and it did not bother me at all while i was out there riding. Just another Story for the grandkids."
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Lagrange wrote:

He's not making a meal out of it if he spits it, only if he swallows. :lol:

Anyways, does it matter if it is an African or European swallow?

The older I get, the better I was.

• Lagrange
    Of course it doe - an African Swallow would be in Africa and his neck is unlikely to stretch that far......

...jeez...
  • Lagrange
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Jens Voigt had some pearls of wisdom on this very subject:

"Funny thing happened to me in today stage! A bee was sitting on my lip and i thought leave the bee in peace, she won't sting you...Wrong guess, she did, and then i decided to live up to my image and swallowed her and did chew every bit of honey out of that bee!!! Take that little bug as punishment for messing with me!! And then my lips start to swell an i felt like a stupid Hollywood Starlet with my blown up lip, i looked like i just had some botox!!hahaha But all good now, lip looks normal again, and it did not bother me at all while i was out there riding. Just another Story for the grandkids."

..take it he was not the professor of entomology then.
  • capt_slog
    Lagrange wrote:
    Of course it doe - an African Swallow would be in Africa and his neck is unlikely to stretch that far......

...jeez...

It could be on it's holidays.

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

He's not making a meal out of it if he spits it, only if he swallows. :lol:

Anyways, does it matter if it is an African or European swallow?

I mentioned the African swallow which is larger and non migratory because...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liIlW-ovx0Y
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Capt Slog wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

...jeez...

It'd make a mess of your teeth if it was carrying a coconut at the time too.
  • capt_slog
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

...jeez...

How's it going to do that? Are you suggesting a 5oz bird can carry a one pound coconut?

• Lagrange
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

a. then I might be on holiday at the same time - in Africa - so the same neck length restriction would apply.

b. Teeth are for youngsters!
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    If you live in Doncaster then you might have to swallow :mrgreen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-17486305
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I hawk and gob out like mad. Then I remember that flies like to hang out on poo and there's now (probably) poo particles (pooticles?) in my throat. At this point I start to retch and reach for the water bottle while gagging and trying to ride a bike.

In fact this may be a good time to apologise to the guy driving up the Grane Road who suddenly found an oncoming bike doing 45mph veering over to his side of the road while being ridden by a drooling idiot grasping at a water bottle. In my defense a fly down the throat was involved.

I f*cking hate flies.
  • I spit them out, having almost swallowed a wasp, I'm a little bit more cautious now....
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I Schwalbe

Nah not really,i spit as soon as.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    I hawk and gob out like mad. Then I remember that flies like to hang out on poo and there's now (probably) poo particles (pooticles?) in my throat. At this point I start to retch and reach for the water bottle while gagging and trying to ride a bike.

In fact this may be a good time to apologise to the guy driving up the Grane Road who suddenly found an oncoming bike doing 45mph veering over to his side of the road while being ridden by a drooling idiot grasping at a water bottle. In my defense a fly down the throat was involved.

I f*cking hate flies.

Is this the right time to remind you that when you sniff someone elses farts, you are in fact inhaling the contents of their arse into your lungs?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

I f*cking hate flies.

Is this the right time to remind you that when you sniff someone elses farts, you are in fact inhaling the contents of their ars* into your lungs?

I was reminded this when some dirty f*cker let rip on the train the other week - I could taste it...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    CHRISNOIR wrote:

I f*cking hate flies.

Is this the right time to remind you that when you sniff someone elses farts, you are in fact inhaling the contents of their ars* into your lungs?

I was reminded this when some dirty f*cker let rip on the train the other week - I could taste it...

Rimming by proxy then.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • swallow for that protein, how do you think i got this body
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Dribble.

Love n Hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk