1st commute on a ss!!

lee170
lee170 Posts: 236
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
Had my first commute on Monday morning on my 1st single speed hybrid, after replacing a geared hardtail with the ss.
I had a torrid time with a head on wind for the 7 ish mile commute,and only one gear so no changing to ease up, arrgh what have I done!!
however after my daunting first ride I am hooked!
Single speeds are ace
2015 orange crush
2015 cannondale super six evo

Comments

• flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    ....and in 3 years time, when your knees are damaged you'll say to yourself "That was worth it"
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • BUR70N
    BUR70N Posts: 182
    I thought the same when I first rode SS and then after about a month or so I realised that I was improving and was getting better at those local hills!!

Just takes time but is rather fun!
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Nice one. I commute on single-speed too as I prefer simplicity on my commute and it's easier to maintain. Not interested in running fixed.

Your leg strength and quad size should increase considerably as a result, but I'm not sure my 6mi commute has generated much increase in aerobic fitness that I can put to use on the road bike at weekends. It's basically a series of short/flat sprints between traffic lights.

I switched to 48T-17T last summer and did notice some knee pain initially but now I'm okay. I wouldn't want to run my gear any smaller or larger.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I've been commuting and trips out, on a SS for a few years now, slowly got fitter/faster on it, rode from Brighton-London last week, I do like SS simple, plus ability to enjoy the hills you've sweated up!
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I sometimes use my Bowery for my 20 mile round trip to and from work and love it. No big hills but going home is mostly gentle climbing. You do get better the more you do the route. Once you get the hang of it, try varying your route.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • tomhowells
    tomhowells Posts: 171
    Got to agree, Lee.
    I got given an old Dawes reynolds steel fixie a few months ago - I changed it over to a single speed straight away! It's a bit of a Frankenstein, a 53 - 39 chainring on the front (no FD obv., set to the 53 ring!) a BMX 14t freewheel on the back & bullhorn bars!
    Whacked some mudguards on it & thought that it would be a great winter bike for when I don't want to ruin my road bike. I got hooked straight away! I forgot how much fun it was riding a single speed, reminded me of when I was a kid!
    Hills & subways, mind - killer! I am so slow I am almost stationary! It's
    I have noticed how much quicker I am on the road bike though...
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It is certainly ace! but all you need to do now is flip the wheel to the fixed side and take off the rear brake ;)
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    SS commuting is the Tao of cycling; no gears, no decisions, just point pedal and stop. Simples!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    Ive gone single speed for my commute. My commute is only short so the idea is that i get more out of it this way (I also MTB so the commute help me to stay in shape). My commuter bike is an old Rayleigh MTB but it suits the SS very well. Ive got well addicted to the SS, the last couple of weekend rides Ive done Ive just gone for a ride on the SS rather than for a proper MTB ride. When I get fit Im going to stick the knobblies on fit a lower gear and take the SS for a proper MTB ride :).