Cable greese

garethfox
garethfox Posts: 43
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning guys just wanted to ask what the best greese is to use on inner gear cables, going to give my bike a good clean and lube soon and was woundering what the best way to go is

Thanks
Gareth

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I've never greased a cable in my life and had them last ages. Occasionally flush the outers with teflon-lube but nothing more.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cables are best replaced when they need it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Teflon grease.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Grease attracts dust which then gets drawn into the outer.......dry or with a very light lube only.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    To grease or not to grease, that is the question.
    Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
    The sticking cable or to grease against a Sea of friction…
    'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished. To grease or die.

Personally, I prefer a light lube.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Always run em dry and replace when grotty. Used to grease, but in the middle of winter the grease thickens or freezes causing a complete lockup of your gearing and brakes and even in summer can actually increase friction, rather than reduce it. A squirt of teflon spray is preferable if you have to put something in there. Can also try rubbing the cables with dry Guitar Grease (pot of graphite).

Guitar_Grease_sm.jpg
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    If i were you i wouldnt use grease, i did that once and eventually it all dried out and they didnt slide freely. All i do now is just spray WD40 generously into the outer before i slide the cable through, havent had a problem since :)