Fugly helmets

eh
eh Posts: 4,854
edited March 2013 in Pro race
The ugliness of current aero road helmets is ruining my enjoyment of this years season so far, so question is am I the only one who'd like to see the UCI ban them? An example of the type I mean is the Giro Air Attack that makes everyone look like a mekon.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    No - simply as if some team have to wear what their sponsors make them so be it. I find the E'car golf ball ones annoyed me last year now I just laugh at them but its doesn't stop me wanting to see them
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    eh wrote:
    The ugliness of current aero road helmets is ruining my enjoyment of this years season so far

Then for gods sake get a life, what are you 5?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Why aero helmets? What about these...

casco.JPG

Anyway, I like the Air Attack. Considering getting one! :D
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Such a conservative sports shouldn't allow this kind of terror. These helmets are a bigger threat to the sport than doping.

It's a YES!
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Well seeing as I'm about to order a Giro Air Attack it's probably best I say no.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    So the helmet styles are offensive but the garishly coloured skin tight clothing emblazoned with the logos of oil companies, phone networks and banks is just fine. OK.

Let's face facts. This sport isn't the first port of call for sartorial elegance.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I think from a purely aesthetic POV, I would make the UCI remove the rule about having to wear helmets.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Jez mon wrote:
    I think from a purely aesthetic POV, I would make the UCI remove the rule about having to wear helmets.

This is all I think about when you say that:

tour00_afp_600.jpg
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Jez mon wrote:

This is all I think about when you say that:

tour00_afp_600.jpg

Is that Willem Defoe reprising his role from Shadow of the Vampire in the pink?

Edited to add:

But yeah, get rid of the stupid aero helmets I though the Giro one was bad but the new spesh one is really pushing the limits. I don't know what rule they could use to enforce it though. Maybe if they ban all kit branded as 'ugly' by a crack team of BR posters?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Then for gods sake get a life, what are you 5?!

Was only supposed to be a bit of fun, maybe I needed more of these :D:D:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Valid point about those Euskatel helmets, they are minging, although personally I still don't think they are as bad as these new aero p*ss pot styles.

Stupid looking clothes is part of the fun of pro cycling, who can forget Cipo's outfits, but I'm drawing an arbitrary line at ugly helmets. :twisted:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    eh wrote:
    Stupid looking clothes is part of the fun of pro cycling, who can forget Cipo's outfits, but I'm drawing an arbitrary line at ugly helmets. :twisted:

Maybe the rule could be would they look better or worse without it.

No stupid helmet = no helmet - Fine

No AG2R Brown shorts = No shorts - Not fine.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • esafosfina1
    esafosfina1 Posts: 153
    Regression to the old-skool Brancale helmets, ffs...
    http://www.jensenjensen.com/img/brancale_sp4_2.jpg
    Won't let me post pictures for some reason...
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Can't say it bothers me having pro's wear them - I'm surprised anyone outside of the pro ranks would willingly wear one, let alone actually pay for one...
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    ride the whole bleedin race on the same bike and with the same helmet :twisted:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • So a few years ago, Pro racers wouldn't wear helmets because they are too hot.

So then we get super ventilated lids and they are forced to wear them. All good.

Now we've got these fugly lids that have less ventilation* again but it's OK because they are quicker apparently.

*excluding marketing hot air
  • esafosfina1
    We protested not because the helmets were too hot but rather as a principle: as professionals we wanted choice to decide for ourselves. Didn't bother me one bit whether I used one or not... I didn't find them that bothersome tbh.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Are there really pro cyclists that converge on this forum?

Knowledge and experiences from the experts first hand!!!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    goonz wrote:

World champions on the track no less.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    goonz wrote:

World champions on the track no less.

For some around here, that might be "World champions on the track no less."
    And I'm thinking that perhaps there are one or two who find all these long days of classics and stages on the road tedious - with their wearing down processes, tactics, nuances and allegiances - that might actually prefer track racing where all the action is condensed into much less time
  • ddraver
    He's got a stripy jersey for general normal TTing too hasnt he...?
    - @ddraver
  • esafosfina1
    Dunno about TTs but I've got a Stannard stripey version... RR, 1990! :lol:
  • ddraver
    Obviously all stripy jerseys are equal but I was on about the Irish fellah ;)
    - @ddraver
  • esafosfina1
    ddraver wrote:
    Obviously all stripy jerseys are equal but I was on about the Irish fellah ;)
    I know... :wink:
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Dunno about TTs but I've got a Stannard stripey version... RR, 1990! :lol:

Class. The British bands rock.
  • Anyone else see these:

casco.JPG

And think these?

Hickory%20Klingons.jpg
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    ^^looks like the old omega lotto kit.
  • I was watching Behind the Barricades a few nights ago with Jeremy Powers waxing lyrical over his Air Attack. The whole time he was arguing it bought him 30s a race I was thinking "Yeah, but I'd trade that for not looking like a knob"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent