Probably killed my hubs

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
Anyone know how to replace the bearings / hubs on a Felt CxR disc hub?

The noises coming out of the front one during the last ride sounded like a stone caught in a tumble dryer, so clearly a bearing has dropped and I need to replace it.

I'd like to do both front and rear together as they've never been quite right - only problem is: I have no idea what I need.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Some googling suggests cartridge bearings, so it's 'just' a case of knocking the old ones out and pushing the new ones in. There's how-to videos for most maintenance tasks on the Parktools website, so I'd start there.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I thought this thread was Mrs. Burns using KB's account to confess she'd murdered him! :o :shock:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I thought this thread was Mrs. Burns using KB's account to confess she'd murdered him! :o :shock:
    My understanding is that it's Mrs B who ended up under the patio metaphorically, for legal purposes.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Graeme_S wrote:

That's just wishful thinking.... :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns
    So this isn't the best time to mention that my ex-wife walked out on me a few years back with no explanation?

Thanks for the search on the cartridge bearings. I'll pop up to JE James with the wheels and a pathetic look on my face.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    They do that. I sussed it from your occasional references to divorce on here.

Sherlock.

Cartridge bearings - I had them done in my rear wheel this time last year when I was in the shop. It's a five minute job with the right kit; they did it whilst I peered at some glamorous bit of kit in the window iirc. I don't recall them costing that much either - they would have the Fulcrum 5s that were on it at the time.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    So this isn't the best time to mention that my ex-wife walked out on me a few years back with no explanation?
    Sorry to hear that KB - teach me to keep my "funny" comments to myself won't it? ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Sorry to hear that KB - teach me to keep my "funny" comments to myself won't it? ;)

Meh.

Important stuff: hubs. I found the how do it yourself guide on BR. I might see if I can strip 'em down and clean 'em first.

Got some lithium grease - I guess this is not the right stuff to use?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I prefer not to use lithium grease. it sometimes attacks seals, not what you want in a hub.

Teflon grease is good, Halfords do it cheap enough. Good all round grease too.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    supersonic wrote:
    I prefer not to use lithium grease. it sometimes attacks seals, not what you want in a hub.

Teflon grease is good, Halfords do it cheap enough. Good all round grease too.
    seal-hunt-3.jpg
    Anything which attacks seals is especially worrisome to Kieran.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If it's a cartridge bearing as suggested by others then it can't be that much different to my Halo hub with the bearings held in place with a circlip and a shoulder on the axle.
    Remove both circlips and knock out the axle and bearing from one side and do the same with the other side. Pop down to your local bearing supplier and go for aircraft grade bearings.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I've cleaned the layers of mud off the wheels in preparation to take 'em to an LBS to look at and the bloody front wheel is completely silent. It sounds perfect.

I think someone somewhere hates me.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    I've cleaned the layers of mud off the wheels in preparation to take 'em to an LBS to look at and the bloody front wheel is completely silent. It sounds perfect.

I think someone somewhere hates me.

Or just wants you to clean your bike ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Well - the front one is dead. Cup and cone with loose bearings inside. A pile of rusty bearings and scored everything.

Felt don't do replacements, and the hubs are basically unavailable; so it's replacement time :cry:

Can't get Hope hubs as the wheels are 24 and 28 spoke (!), so am looking at something completely different or new wheels.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Well - the front one is dead. Cup and cone with loose bearings inside. A pile of rusty bearings and scored everything.

Felt don't do replacements, and the hubs are basically unavailable; so it's replacement time :cry:

Can't get Hope hubs as the wheels are 24 and 28 spoke (!), so am looking at something completely different or new wheels.

New wheels, you say? Lovely!

Hang on, didn't you only buy that bike 6 months ago? Shirley, you could get them replaced under warranty?
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Well - the front one is dead. Cup and cone with loose bearings inside. A pile of rusty bearings and scored everything.

New wheels, you say? Lovely!

Hang on, didn't you only buy that bike 6 months ago? Shirley, you could get them replaced under warranty?
    You would think so. I friend of mine just ran into an issue like this on a Btwin Triban 3 after 400miles. When he took it to a decathlon shop to complain they replaced the wheel and serviced the bike no questions asked. In Kieran's case it might depend a bit on milage but really a wheel hub should go at least 12 months without needing servicing unless you submerge it in say floodwater. ;)

On the subject of hope hubs my MTB has hope pro hubs and I've got Pro3 hubs on my CX. MTB Front hub hasn't been serviced since I bought it in 2001. Its been submerged in salt water on several occasions and continues to run as smoothly and freely as the day it was bought. CX front hub is looking similarly robust so far after 2 years.
    Rear hope hubs do seem to need bearing replacement after a while if used in poor conditions. I had to do it after about 6 years on the Pro hub and I've done one rear bearing replacement on the Pro3 rear as well (12 months).

Mike
  • Kieran_Burns
    It's my fault the things have died and I'm not one to go looking for a freebie when I'm to blame. I just need to see what the cost is going to be.

Frankly I was never entirely happy with the wheels in the first place and a decent hub / wheel combo would suit me better in the long run.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I use the finest petroleum jelly and a good handful of sand, what was the question?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    I use the finest petroleum jelly and a good handful of sand, what was the question?

And the Missus never let you anywhere near her again.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee
    I just need to see what the cost is going to be.

£150 for XT hubs, DT spokes and Mavic rims?

viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12907193&hilit=money#p18162641
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    I'm picking up my disc wheels from Ugo Santalucia tonight. Novatec hubs and Mavic rims. A bit more expensive than the above, but the hubs really are lovely. Only downside is it took 3 weeks for them to arrive from the East.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Ouchies.

£350 for replacements with Hope hubs.....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • redvee
    Ouchies.

£350 for replacements with Hope hubs.....

You'll have to sell the Felt to pay for them :lol: