Shoes - how should they fit?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
It's all very well the bike mags saying "they fit like slippers", but how SHOULD road shoes fit? I've got insane triangle feet (wide at the front, narrow at the heel) so do you have the front strap nearest the toe loose to allow toe wiggle, and the others tighter to keep the heel in check???????

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I have quite wide hobbit feet & find the easiest way is as you suggest, to loosen off the first strap (I have little to no tension in mine) and let the others keep the foot in the shoe. Some manufactures shoes do have a smaller toe box than others in the same size so this might be another option for you too.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    i'm similar, tend to leave front straps slackish for toes and tighten others to keep foot/heel pressed to back of shoe
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah front can be pretty slack and then tighten the others just enough to stop your foot slipping IMO, I have hardly any tension on my straps/ratchets/boa laces on any of my shoes. If you do have strangely shaped feet it's probably worth looking at heat-moldable shoes to as they're more affordable now than they used to be.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I like my toebox to have some wriggle room with the foot being secured further back.. and I can manage quite a bit of tension through the top strap/ratchet to get my ankle nice a secure.

Don't really like the boa systems because the ones I've tried tend to tighten down, rather than securing the ankle too.
  • Don't know from your post if you are actually looking for some shoes at the moment, but I recently got some dhb carbon soled shoes from Wiggle and they are a lot wider fitting in comparison to my other shoes (Specialized) which are the same size. I have trouble with my shoes being too narrow, but the dhbs are much better. They're a bit of a bargain too, IMO.
    2015 Specialized Tarmac Expert Ultegra
    2016 Focus Mares CX Ultegra
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp Carbon 29
    2012 Boardman Road Race 105
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    FergySteve wrote:
    Don't know from your post if you are actually looking for some shoes at the moment, but I recently got some dhb carbon soled shoes from Wiggle and they are a lot wider fitting in comparison to my other shoes (Specialized) which are the same size. I have trouble with my shoes being too narrow, but the dhbs are much better. They're a bit of a bargain too, IMO.

LOL I had the opposite problem - DHB were too narrow/pinching at the toes, so I went and got some Spesh :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • danlikesbikes
    SecretSam wrote:
    FergySteve wrote:
    Don't know from your post if you are actually looking for some shoes at the moment, but I recently got some dhb carbon soled shoes from Wiggle and they are a lot wider fitting in comparison to my other shoes (Specialized) which are the same size. I have trouble with my shoes being too narrow, but the dhbs are much better. They're a bit of a bargain too, IMO.

LOL I had the opposite problem - DHB were too narrow/pinching at the toes, so I went and got some Spesh :lol:

Me too I found the DHB were really narrow & tight toe box, but to be fair the reviews did say order 1 or 2 sizes up which is what I did.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    shoes should fit like a glove!

Glove, not mits though :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • danlikesbikes
    team47b wrote:
    shoes should fit like a glove!

Like this? :D
  • trekie
    trekie Posts: 15
    I have wide feet and have struggled to get suitable shoes. On Saturday bought some Bontragers, nice and wide toe box. One long ride and two short, seem comfortable enough.