A Safer way to listen to music?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited March 2013 in Road general
Has anyone seen or heard of these before?

http://www.o-tus.com/

they seem a reasonable idea, should mean you can listen to music but not block out the outside world too much.

please don't turn this into a headphones debate though, there are enough of them about!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
«1

Comments

  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    Chris Bass wrote:
    .

    please don't turn this into a headphones debate though, there are enough of them about!

    Too late!!!! take dem damn buds out yo eahs and pay 'tenshun to wat yo doin'! :twisted:
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    That does seem a good idea to be fair.

    How is it powered? Speakers + bluetooth is gonna be a fair old drain, is it rechargeable?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    just put a headphone in one ear and don't crank it
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Ive always found my standard Iphone earphones are more than a match for my ears.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueP ... tAodMikAGA


    I've not used them, as i'd prefer to ride with no distractions, but you can get these aftershokz headphones, that work on bone vibration to transmit sound too. Again they don't go in your ear, so you can still hear traffic noise.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2013
    Personally it seems a load of hassle/expense to have music with no bass whilst doing something I least want music whilst doing.
    I feel its still too much of a distraction. Its not just blocking out of external noise that is unsafe, Its also how listening to music will alter your actions IMO.
    Safer, but not safe.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I've been using OneGoodEarBud for a year now - does what it sounds like - one good ear bud (with both left and right audio playing in it). Whilst they won't win any audiophile awards - for taking the monotony away on the long nights of riding, they are perfect for a bit of background music whilst still be able to hear traffic etc.

    They are now available in the UK (I had to buy mine in the US)

    http://www.sportexplorer.co.uk/shop/cat ... neGood-(TM)-Earphone.html
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Headphones whilst cycling? Just no!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    marcusjb wrote:
    I've been using OneGoodEarBud for a year now - does what it sounds like - one good ear bud (with both left and right audio playing in it). Whilst they won't win any audiophile awards - for taking the monotony away on the long nights of riding, they are perfect for a bit of background music whilst still be able to hear traffic etc.

    They are now available in the UK (I had to buy mine in the US)

    http://www.sportexplorer.co.uk/shop/cat ... neGood-(TM)-Earphone.html

    surely putting the left and right signals into one bud, will create the "MONOtony" ? :)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    edited March 2013
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Has anyone seen or heard of these before?

    http://www.o-tus.com/

    they seem a reasonable idea, should mean you can listen to music but not block out the outside world too much.

    please don't turn this into a headphones debate though, there are enough of them about!

    You'd think with such a low output they would not block out everything else that is going on so good in that respect. My only concern is that they would either be so quite you would not hear everything, or you crank it up and end up blowing the speaker. Or worse & this is the real issue you get too engrossed in the music that you simply filter out whats going on in the outside world.

    If you want another version you could always look at something that does this - http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/03/17/l ... the-sound/
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    goonz wrote:
    Headphones whilst cycling? Just no!

    they arent headphones!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The O-tus ones look a bit pants tbh. "Clear Crisp Sound" is never a good start, and if you look at the trouble shooting section they are almost expecting you to send them back!

    Cost + set up hassle + having to charge it + bluetooth battery drain + tinny sound + odd looks from people* + possible death + having to post them back to a company that might not be there anymore = just put your phone on loudspeaker!

    *If you cycle around with music coming from your helmet you will seem a bit of an oddball IMO.

    I would try the bone shaker ones if I had to have music while I cycled.
    Or get one of those water/sand proof phone case's with built in speaker and strap it to your frame.
    I have a cheapo LG phone with built in subwoofer that's better than all those options if its dry. It sounds fab and could even go in a waterproof jacket breast pocket etc.
    Are those O-tus things even waterproof?
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    A single bud in your left ear or splash out on one of those over ear speakers like the security guards use that is what I do.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    marcusjb wrote:
    I've been using OneGoodEarBud for a year now - does what it sounds like - one good ear bud (with both left and right audio playing in it). Whilst they won't win any audiophile awards - for taking the monotony away on the long nights of riding, they are perfect for a bit of background music whilst still be able to hear traffic etc.

    They are now available in the UK (I had to buy mine in the US)

    http://www.sportexplorer.co.uk/shop/cat ... neGood-(TM)-Earphone.html

    I will try those, normally use my left only and still can hear traffic. Just take it out when I hit the city.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Chris Bass wrote:
    A Safer way to listen to music?

    Are we talking personal safety here?

    In which case buy a car and listent to music whilst driving.

    Cycling and music don't mix IMHO
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    When I'm out in east Cornwall I am often riding on narrow country lanes with passing places. I have traffic noise from the A30 nearby, wind in the trees and wind noise of riding to contend with. It is extremely difficult to hear cars, vans, lorries and farm machinery coming from behind. Not having the distraction of racket has saved my bacon many a time. I can't really understand why anyone needs to have music while out riding... For me, being part of nature with all of my senses is what I so enjoy and my hearing is my second most important sense
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Sing to yourself. That's what I do.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Personally it seems a load of hassle/expense to have music with no bass whilst doing something I least want music whilst doing.
    I feel its still too much of a distraction. Its not just blocking out of external noise that is unsafe, Its also how listening to music will alter your actions IMO.
    Safer, but not safe.

    Moreorless my thoughts on the matter...
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Sing to yourself. That's what I do.

    Singing and riding dont mix IMHO, way too dangerous, many a time my bacon has been saved by not singing, I prefer to listen to the whir of my derailleur/sounds of nature, singing makes you more likely to swerve into traffic, etc, etc, etc.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I have my riding buddy sing a series of hits from the 80's. Eye Of The Tiger is particularly good for long climbs.

    I occasionally do backing vocals.
    Insert bike here:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Navrig wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    A Safer way to listen to music?

    Are we talking personal safety here?

    In which case buy a car and listent to music whilst driving.

    Cycling and music don't mix IMHO

    Hmmm, different horses for different courses. I'd say depending on who you are music may improve your safety. A bit like how doodling occupies my mind enough in dull meetings so it doesn't wander off and I actually listen to the meeting, I can see that music whilst cycling might have the same effect. ie the music actually improves your focus on the riding.

    And lets not get hung up about the whole 'not able to hear sounds around you thing' - there is the volume control to cover that!
    mpatts wrote:
    I have my riding buddy sing a series of hits from the 80's. Eye Of The Tiger is particularly good for long climbs.

    I occasionally do backing vocals.

    That sounds more exhausting than the hill climbing!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    hipshot wrote:
    Sing to yourself. That's what I do.

    Singing and riding dont mix IMHO, way too dangerous, many a time my bacon has been saved by not singing, I prefer to listen to the whir of my derailleur/sounds of nature, singing makes you more likely to swerve into traffic, etc, etc, etc.

    Ah, but I wear Rapha!
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I can see the attraction when commuting. A bit of background music at 6am on a cold morning is appealing.

    However, for me anyway, cycling along on my road bike I can't see the need. I'm too busy concentrating on cadence, speed and HR to worry about music. I like the sound of birds and squirrels. Plus an ipod is another item to put into my cycling top along with iphone, ipump, ibanana, iID & waterproof.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i was mainly thinking of this for my commute, same old route can get a little boring after a while! I wouldnt listen all the time and wouldnt on weekend rides in the countryside!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @ hipshot... Liking this... Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :-)
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I personally use a frame mounted subwoofer with handlebar tweeters and a pannier rack for the amp and batteries.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    lawrences wrote:
    I personally use a frame mounted subwoofer with handlebar tweeters and a pannier rack for the amp and batteries.


    I need to see pictures of that :shock: :D
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Do you run the cables internally? :D
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,820
    I need to see pictures of that :shock: :D

    pimped_bike.jpg
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I listen to music when I cycle, it doesn't stop me from hearing cars come up. Also as a motorcyclist I find the lack of mirrors makes me keep checking my shoulder when riding anyway.

    For me the music risk is more about the mental state rather than cutting off your hearing. On the grand scheme of things, extra lights, high vis clothing etc are probably of more benefit that being able to hear.

    I'd say its almost impossible to hear if someone is going to pass you too close or not.