are my new campagnolo zonda ok?

driverpm
driverpm Posts: 65
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi there, New campagnolo Zondas fresh out of the box this morning but no time to fit before work. i did however spin (as if free wheeling) the rear wheel while holding it (skewers not yet fitted) and rather than the completely smooth feeling i was expecting it felt 'bumpy' with lots of regular little bumps. Is this normal? Am I just feeling the free-wheel doing its job? :? Like to know it's OK before fitting tubes, tyres and cassette, thank you!
Phil
Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Skewers do no more than clamp the axle to the frame - you can't spin a wheel holding onto just the skewers to see what it runs like ...

So - where were you holding ... the cassette or the axle? I guess the axle ... in which case you are feeling the bearings ...
    My stock wheels do that little bump & grab as they turn over ... but they didn't cost much and they run fine on the road. I've no idea what you'd expect from a set of wheels that retail > £250 ...
  • driverpm
    Slowbike wrote:
    So - where were you holding ... the cassette or the axle? I guess the axle ... in which case you are feeling the bearings ...
    My stock wheels do that little bump & grab as they turn over ... but they didn't cost much and they run fine on the road. I've no idea what you'd expect from a set of wheels that retail > £250 ...

Thanks, yes I was holding the axle - not fitted the cassette before. I've never had a set of Campag wheels before and my previous wheels were the stock Shimano ones fitted to the bike & didn't take them off for quite a while after buying, so not sure what to expect. There was no noise associated with the little bumps and they appeared regular in frequency and i guess about as rapid as the clicks you get with some wheels when free wheeling.
    cheers,
    Phil
  • slowbike
    If you were holding by the axle then assuming the freehub was turning (otherwise you'd notice it) then you're feeling the bearings ...
    I'm sure they'll ride absolutely fine....
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Of course it is the freewheel... try your old wheels and they will do the same, unless they are broken
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    Of course it is the freewheel... try your old wheels and they will do the same, unless they are broken
    Surely you'd only feel the freewheel/hub if it is not turning at the same rate as the wheel - if you're just spinning a wheel and holding the axle then the freehub is turning at the same rate - therefore you shouldn't feel anything from that .. ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Slowbike wrote:
    Surely you'd only feel the freewheel/hub if it is not turning at the same rate as the wheel - if you're just spinning a wheel and holding the axle then the freehub is turning at the same rate - therefore you shouldn't feel anything from that .. ?

Maybe he's holding it from the freehub... he said "as if freewheeling"
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

Maybe he's holding it from the freehub... he said "as if freewheeling"
    driverpm wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    So - where were you holding ... the cassette or the axle? .

Thanks, yes I was holding the axle

that's why I asked ?
  • driverpm
    Thanks guys, so it sounds like we're good to go?! I'll not be fitting 'til the nippers are in bed tonight so any advance the previous would be appreciated! i guess it's maybe an odd one as most people would not be spinning a wheel without cassette or skewers; i had no experience to base this on, just a naive expectation of complete smoothness.
    cheers
    Phil
  • driverpm
    sadly broken and disassembled so nothing to compare with
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Ive got a brand new set of Zonda's here, that just have new cassette fitted, waiting till weather improvement before using with new chain etc. They spin just as you describe only rear wheel though, if front does it theres a problem!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • driverpm
    Ive got a brand new set of Zonda's here, that just have new cassette fitted, waiting till weather improvement before using with new chain etc. They spin just as you describe only rear wheel though, if front does it theres a problem!

what I wanted to hear, thank you!