Installing bash ring - Total newbie

doublem_1
doublem_1 Posts: 266
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
I am very new to MTBing. I have an FSA Gamma crank with 22/32/44T rings. As I don't ride it on the road, I don't need the biggest ring and I'm looking to install some kind of bash ring or chain guid. Can anyone recommend any? Or is there a guide on doing this? Setting up the derailleur etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Remove big ring, fit bash, adjust H screw so mech doesn't move past middle ring. Job done.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • doublem_1
    doublem_1 Posts: 266
    Excellent, is there any specific bash I should look for? And will some of the chain links need removing?
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Just one that will fit your crank. It will need to have the same BCD (bolt circle diameter) as your FSA crank and the same number of chainring bolts (usually 4 or 5). Aluminium guards tend to be thinner and lighter, Plastic ones are usually thicker but heavier.

And you won't necessarily need to take any links out. I didn't when I did this exact same thing and haven't had any issues. I personally like having the extra bit of chain just incase is snaps on the trail. It is certainly an option though as you will have chain length you don't need.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Also, you may need longer bolts (or shorter) depending on the thickness of your chosen bash.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most aluminium rings use standard bolts, you won't need shorter for with a absh, plastic need longer bolts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.