one small step for man

pease
pease Posts: 150
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Im in somewhat of a dilemma. See I spent a few ponds on a lovely 2009/10 tarmac comp as my new bike after having to sell the allez in October for lack of funds .

Swmbo wasn't over the moon with the decision but based on the fact the bike is a great de-stress has come to live with it. My main argument for getting it was to do the 100 mile london surrey in august in aid of the national Autistic Society ( as we have a child with autism) . Looking at the training guides I need to commit time 6/7 days a week which can prove difficult. So could I manage it on say 1 weekend ride (building up to 80 or so miles ) and a couple pre work hour long rides in the week ? Since getting back on a bike the most ive done is a relatively flat 20miler .

Thoughts welcome.
Insert witty signature here

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Do a shorter sportive a month or two before and train for that, then you'll have a month or two to fill the fitness/stamina gap?
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    If you can do an 80 miler the 100 will be no problem. A couple of additional hour long rides during the week should be plenty to get you through as well. Also pushing yourself hard during the hour rides will help tremendously to get in shape. You'll be fine.
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    You can definitely do it!

I have major time constraints due to family and some of the (spectacularly unhelpful) training advice one comes across is clearly written by people with no family and quite possibly no work commitments either.

If you have been training for a while you could build more intensity in to your short sessions (interval training or hill reps) and do what you can with the longer sessions.

Could you involve your family with the training at all? My friends son has autism and loves his bike, but I know some people are more disabled by it than others. Last year I went out quite a lot with the kids in the trailer (and carting them up a hill definitely counts as training!)

Best of luck