cassette or freewheel?

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi can someone please tell me if my 2011 claud butler san remo has a cassette or freewheel? Here is a pic...

20130314191359.jpg

The lockring supplied with my new 11/28 cassette is a fair bit bigger than what's on the bike already -13/26. Need to know what tools to buy.

Also, looking at the next picture - is it possible to determine whether the shimano 2300 i have will cope with the 11/28 as it looks pretty stretched already here...

20130314084233.jpg

Comments

  • That's a cassette. It has a lockring. Freewheels are threaded and screw onto the hub; you tighten them by pedalling and remove them by putting a freewheel tool in the middle and using a spanner, a lot of elbow grease, possibly your leg, but hopefully not a vice!

    Bikes are still made with freewheels, but technology has moved on (in fact cassettes succeeded freewheels some years ago now!). There's nothing hugely wrong with them, but I would not expect a bike like yours to have a freewheel.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You should just need an ordinary Shimano tool for the lockring. As for the chain, obviously you won't normally be in the habit of putting it into big-big but you will need a longer chain anyway I would have thought. You are increasing the number of teeth the mech needs to manage by four. I'd assume you should put at least one more pair of links on. Keep the old chain with the old cassette and use them together and get a new chain for the new cassette.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Both 100 per cent correct.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    Rolf F wrote:
    You should just need an ordinary Shimano tool for the lockring. As for the chain, obviously you won't normally be in the habit of putting it into big-big but you will need a longer chain anyway I would have thought. You are increasing the number of teeth the mech needs to manage by four. I'd assume you should put at least one more pair of links on. Keep the old chain with the old cassette and use them together and get a new chain for the new cassette.

    Great info,thanks all. Ive actually bought a new chain to go with it. A kmc z8s. Didnt mention size when i bought it. If its too short then is it easy to buy extra links for it or should i maybe take a link off the old chain?

    Thanks
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It will be too long. Zero chance of it being too short.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    UPDATE:

    lockring removal tool arrived and it fits the new lockring perfectly. haven't got home to try yet, but it surely means it is going to be too wide to fit the old lockring (as pictured above)?

    pls help me get this old horrible lockring off!!!

    thanks
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I see the problem here, you have a Claud Butler bike!

    Joking aside it should fit, if it doesnt take it down to your LBS and offer to pay them a couple of quid and they will take the cassette off in seconds.

    What I am worried about is that the 2300 groupset is an 8 speed, the 12-28 cassette you are refering to is a 10speed cassette is it not. Its not gonna work, even the 9 speed sora derailer can only accomidate upto 27 teeth. Your gonna have to change your shifters as well, so you might as well buy a whole new chainset.

    Problem is all this is gonna cost more than the bike its self.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chatlow wrote:
    UPDATE:

    lockring removal tool arrived and it fits the new lockring perfectly. haven't got home to try yet, but it surely means it is going to be too wide to fit the old lockring (as pictured above)?

    pls help me get this old horrible lockring off!!!

    thanks
    you do have a chain whip dont you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    ha, very funny. less harsh on my first road bike please ;-)

    no the old cassette is 13-26 8 speed and the new cassette is 11-28 8 speed. just bought it for the better gearing.

    was worried it wouldnt work with the shimano 2300 but been told it *should* be ok. Worth a shot, otherwise i will return it. the cassette that is, not the bike.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    nicklouse wrote:
    chatlow wrote:
    UPDATE:

    lockring removal tool arrived and it fits the new lockring perfectly. haven't got home to try yet, but it surely means it is going to be too wide to fit the old lockring (as pictured above)?

    pls help me get this old horrible lockring off!!!

    thanks
    you do have a chain whip dont you.


    yeah, got the chain whip.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    My first road bike was a Claud Butler,so I think I can get away with saying that.

    I didnt realise they did an 8 speed cassette that goes up to 28, I guess its a mountin bike one.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    yeah it's a shimano hg51 mtb cassette. havent actually had a go at using this lockring remover yet as in work - just looking at the width of the two lockrings, this remover wont fit the old one as its to wide for it. may have to pop to cycle shop after work quickly.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    By the way the maximum tooth capacity for a 2300 rear derailleur is 26t, its not gonna work.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    someone on here managed to get a 32t sprocket working on a 2300 RD by fully screwing in the b-set screw and increasing the chain length by a couple of links....

    viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12909559&p=18186430#p18186430
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    ANOTHER UPDATE!

    removal tool fits fine!! Must have been a trick on my eyes but the tool fits both very well. Unfortunatly i am unable to remove the old cassette as the wrench keeps slipping so im off to get a socket.

    Thanks
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    It will work, I had a 13-26 on my 8 speed Allez which has a 2300 and I have an 11-28 on there with the medium cage rear mech even though the spec says max 26T
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    chatlow wrote:
    ANOTHER UPDATE!

    removal tool fits fine!! Must have been a trick on my eyes but the tool fits both very well. Unfortunatly i am unable to remove the old cassette as the wrench keeps slipping so im off to get a socket.

    Thanks
    If you have a lock ring tool like this one: http://www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-fr-5 then stick your QR skewer through it just tight enough to stop the tool from slipping out, but not too tight to force the tool in fully.

    Grab the biggest adjustable wrench you've got and go for it! As soon as you've got the lock ring loosened, remove the QR skewer and remove the lock ring by hand (with the tool).
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    It will work, I had a 13-26 on my 8 speed Allez which has a 2300 and I have an 11-28 on there with the medium cage rear mech even though the spec says max 26T

    Only thing I can think of is that my b-set screw mechanicsm is buggered? screwing it fully from all the way out is only adjusting the deraiileur position by a couple mm so this means its still rubbing on the 28T.

    is there a way to test its working correctly? would love to keep this 11-28 cassette..
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    My Allez was new with 13-26 and 52-39 double 8 speed 2300. I asked the bike shop I bought it from If I could change the 13 as I was getting into top gear much to easy and felt I needed 11-28 as My Hybrid was 11-32. I could grind up the hills but I felt the 28 would help. I asked them if it was possible and they said the spec says max 26T but thought it would work. I bought the cassette from them and they fitted and set it up for me. 4,000 miles later it's still on there although I changed it to a compact 50-34 a few months ago.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    do you know what - i think the 11-28 would actually have fit my bike. i have a feeling that my shimano 2300 may actually be faulty. perhaps the spring because i am sure the DR used to respond a lot more when playing with the b-set screw. its a case of replacing the RD if I want the 11-28 so may just get another 13-26 and keep the same setup.