3 things

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
The 2 main issues are to do with the shocks, the monarch rear shock on my boardman team fs has started to lose pressure and sometimes will lose it over a period of a few days but the other night lost pressure on a 2hr ride. The other issue is when you lift the front end you sometimes feel a knock. I've checked to make sure the headset has no play and it's definitely coming from the lowers of the sektor tk forks, but there doesn't seem to be any other play apart from as already described.
Seeing as the bike is only 6 months old would these issues be covered under warranty?
The third is just about the elixir 3's, the rear is always spongey (slightly better after bleeding but always ends up spongey again) and doesn't seem to have much braking power. I've decided i've had enough and i'm considering getting a set of deore brakes http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67246, the front already has a post adaptor for 180mm and the rear is also a post mount but doesn't have an adaptor fitted atm therefore would it be just a straight swap over or will i need to buy anything extra?
Cheers.
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1/2 service time.

3 when the lever is pulled does the disc move?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • zanush
    Thanks for the reply.
    Whilst the bike is stationary the disc doesn't move when pulling the lever but whilst moving it seems like a death grip on the lever is required to get any stopping power. Even my hardtail with lower end shimano brakes have far better stopping power that's why I was considering the deores seeing as they are a reasonable price.
    But that's a moot point if it's a service for the shocks seeing as I can't really afford that atm :( so not a warranty issue for the monarch then seeing as it's just losing air? I wouldn't mind too much but it only gets used once or twice a week at the very most :/
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rear sounds like contaminated pads, all too easy with the oil floating around on the chain and cassette.

Rear shock sounds like it needs an air can service, but you could try a warranty claim, nothing ventured and all that.

Front....some top out clunk isn't that uncommon.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanush
    The pads were the first thing i checked as i replaced the resin ones 2 months ago with sintered pads and they look ok and still have plenty of meat on them. The rear brake has never been spot on since i got the bike, i can always try another bleed but that rapidly degrades back to the current state whereas the front have always been pretty good
    I'm still debating whether to get the deore brakes though and i may just see what they say at halfords with regards to the rear shock.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • The Rookie
    zanush wrote:
    The pads were the first thing i checked as i replaced the resin ones 2 months ago with sintered pads and they look ok and still have plenty of meat on them. .
    That will in no way tell you if they are contaminated. Sintered especaily look barely any different when totally fubarred.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanush
    edited March 2013
    I'll try the kevlar pads i've got in a drawer somewhere.....i had similar issues with the resin pads tbh though.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • The Rookie
    Make sure you clean the disc with some IPA before you contaminate (possibly) any new pads with what is left on there!
  • zanush
    Got plenty of IPA....after a post ride wash i usually wipe the rotor down with some IPA.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • The Rookie
    OK....just I've lost count of the people that have fitted new pads on a contaminated disc and had to start over again!
  • zanush
    I've now used the bike enough for the pads to bed in and they still lack stopping power so i've ordered the deore brakes from crc. Will the current adaptor with the elixirs still be usable or will i have to get a shimano adapator for the front 180mm rotor? Not too sure about the rear 160mm rotor as there is no adaptor so i'm assuming it's a straight swap for that one?
    The rear shock has also now been sent off by halfords to be sorted out under warranty.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • The Rookie
    The Deores should fit direct, remove the current bolts and alignment washers and fit the correct (shorter) length bolts. The Avid calipers have the mounting moved relative to the pad to allow for the alignment gubbins.
  • zanush
    Cheers.....won't i need one like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54881 for the fork post mount though to replace the avid one? plus i need to get the bolts aswell....
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95