Getting gears working.

sprite1275
sprite1275 Posts: 157
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Want to give my bike a bit of a service as its about 8 years old now and still has original drive train and cables. Changed the BB a few months back and now would like to change the chain and cables as my gears are just not changing properly no matter how much I tinker with them.

Any chain recommendations? I have 27 gears.

Also how hard is changing the rear gear (LX deore) cable? The front gears are working perfectly so think I will leave them. Havnt got much of a budget so hoping these things will lead to better gear changes.

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Presumably you have a nine speed cassette. I would suggest any nine speed chain with a power link. KMC or SRAM spring to mind, they are easier to fit and easier to remove for cleaning than the Shimano cables which need a chain tool to fit and remove. You will probably need a new cassette after 8 years as well otherwise the new chain will probably hop about on the old cassette.

Cables are pretty simple, look on Park Tools web site for details but in essence take out the old one and put the new one in in precisely the same way as the old one was installed. After 8 years you may want to consider outers as well as new cables. If you change the outers use the old bits of outer as templates to ensure that you get the lengths correct. Don't forget to fit new ferrules (the cap things at each end of the outer) When you have fixed the new cable and tried it once or twice, give it a good tug from the down tube to stretch it a bit and then reindex the gears.

I hope I am not teaching grandmothers to suck eggs! If so apologies.
  • sprite1275
    Thats great mate cheers. So for the chain i should be looking at something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9873 With http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=871 ?

And for the cable http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=69180

IMAG1700_zpsb0887770.jpg

This is my rear derraileur, would you say the cogs are looking worn or is it hard to say?
  • sprite1275
    Can anyone recommend a budget derraileur upgrade from the one i have above?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    sprite1275 wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a budget derraileur upgrade from the one i have above?

A 9spd Deore
  • sprite1275
    Thinking of getting the slx rear derailleur. Is there anything better around 40pound mark?

Would this just replace what I have with no mods? I see there are long and medium cages, is there a curtain one which is better?

Sorry for the nooby questions
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Nothing wrong with your mech, your cassette looks pretty worn though.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500