Question about British Cycling membership levels....

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Sorry, I couldn't find the best forum for this. But I've been biking for 6 weeks, mostly on road, so it's in here. ;)

I saw British Cycling membership mentioned on another thread, so I had a look at their membership levels:
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership

I'm mainly interested in it for the Wiggle discount. I'm not planning on racing. Can I join with the Race Bronze membership, which is cheaper than the Ride membership (the one aimed at people like me who are commuters and leisure riders)? I don't need the liability insurance that the Ride membership comes with as I have cover elsewhere.

Just wondering if I actually have to enter races to be a Race member...

Comments

• bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    In my experience the Wiggle discount is negligible. It's not 'on top of' other discounts, you just have the retail price less 12.5%. So in most cases there would be a similar product discounted more already available to you as 'Joe Public'. If you plan to purchase lots at full retail price, then yes, 12.5% is good...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Ride is BC's basic membership - you need to pay the additional £15 for Race Bronze if you're planning on entering races - you can't buy it on it's own. BC gives certain clubs a number of Bronze memberships to give to new members to encourage participation in the sport. FWIW the Wiggle discount isn't additive i.e. if you already get 10%, then the BC membership only entitles you to a further 2% discount.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    Ohhhh thanks Monty Dog - now it makes sense. I thought you could have Ride or Race. :oops:

I'm looking at a D-lock that, on the British Cycling Wiggle shop, is cheaper than I've found elsewhere. So, as I thought I could join for £15 a year, it seemed to be worth doing. Not for the price of Ride membership though.
  • think you can find codes to get bc memebrship even cheaper, quidco(cashback) pay by direct debit(1 payment) can be brought for a round £10 if not cheaper.i think i saved more than it cost me with halfords discount plus wiggle and all the free/trail magazines.
  • Greg-46a
    Greg-46a Posts: 24
    You can get a discount using a code from TfL (but I think you have to sign up as direct debit, not a one off payment).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/cycling/offers/