meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
I'm having a rest this week as it's been a busy year so far

Count: 62 Activities
Distance: 1,038.41 mi
Time: 72:24:56 h:m:s
Elevation Gain: 16,958 m
Avg Speed: 14.3 mph

nearly all of that has been on the MTB with Ice Spikers (hence the rather meagre avg speed) which I don't mind admitting, is bloody hard work. Someone coming on here saying they were going to start commuting 35 mile RT with
2000ft of elevation wouldn't have a stream of people recommending an MTB on heavy knobblies as the ideal machine...

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is does anyone have any pearls of wisdom regarding resting? My symptoms are that my legs hurt and that my resting HR is elevated so they were two things I was going to keep an eye on. I was planning on taking most of the week off. Any thoughts on food?

7 weeks today I'll be arriving in Edinburgh having done 430-odd miles from London in the 4 days. I think it's a good time to take a quick break in my riding before focusing on some longer rides and a bit of hill work (though there only seems to be one hill in the whole ride and that's in Scotland).
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Resting tip?

Lie down, do nothing.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Maybe up the protein part of your diet a little (I don't mean mainlining protein shakes or anything) but I wouldn't go changing it radically, I find stretching helps get that aching feeling out of my legs
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Resting - get some good sleep, being gently active i.e. walking around will help by getting your system pumping.

Food - just eat sensible food really, plenty of fluids should see you fine.

Sore legs - self massage, stretching, soak in a hot bath, sit with your legs up if you can
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • meanredspider
    Resting tip?

Lie down, do nothing.

Words of an expert "rester" :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Resting tip?

Lie down, do nothing.

Words of an expert "rester" :wink:

Nah, if he was an expert he'd have recommended a Fartlek approach varying both the intensity and frequency of the inactivities. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Elevated HR and feeling permanently knackered are good signs of over-training so resting is definitely a good idea. If you start to train with power then you'll be looking do do no more than 800 TSS a week to avoid injury, sickness etc. If you're training with HR then there's probably a similar thing for TRIMP or one of the HR based stress scores so its worth starting to track that and catch over-training before it happens.

Resting is when your body adapts to the stress you've put on it, which is why most training plans have micro and macro periodisation. For example you'll do 2-3 days on, 1 day rest, 2-3 days on as a weekly training plan and then have 3 weeks on, 1 week off as a monthly plan. The training load ramps up in those 3 weeks and you'll end week 3 ready for a rest. You'll then end week 4 ready for the plan to start again.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My restnig tip.

1. Go to pub
    2. Order Pint
    3. Drink Pint.
    4. If not "rested" repeat from step 2
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • meanredspider
    Sketchley wrote:
    My restnig tip.

1. Go to pub
    2. Order Pint
    3. Drink Pint.
    4. If not "rested" repeat from step 2

Tried that - results in extreme weakness in the legs and subsequent pain in the head ;-)

Thanks WR - Kessock Bridge work and the cold weather means I haven't really been planning my riding but just getting on the bike as often as possible. Decided this week I need to take control a bit.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    self massage, stretching, soak in a hot bath, sit with your legs up if you can

is like "knocking one out"?

always relaxes me out....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • danlikesbikes
    mudcow007 wrote:

Not quite what I meant, but hey if thats how you read it & it works for you well knock yourself out. Then again don't knock yourself out not like that, would be proper embarrassing if someone had to call you an ambulance for doing that.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    mudcow007 wrote:

Not quite what I meant, but hey if thats how you read it & it works for you well knock yourself out. Then again don't knock yourself out not like that, would be proper embarrassing if someone had to call you an ambulance for doing that.

Hmmm I don't think that kind of "knocking one out" is what Mudcow meant.... :lol:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    msmancunia wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Hmmm I don't think that kind of "knocking one out" is what Mudcow meant.... :lol:

depends how "vigorously" you wanted to relax..... :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • danlikesbikes
    msmancunia wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

What do you think he meant? I'm not sure I even want to google it to find another meaning just in case I need to grab the mind bleach for any images that might appear
  • msmancunia
    Urban dictionary is your friend - first definition.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ck+one+out

(why am I even explaining this to a man?!?!) :shock:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I think you're both on the same page. Knocking oneself out whilst vigorously knocking one out would be embarassing.
    Or should I pretend I have no idea what you're on about?
  • danlikesbikes
    msmancunia wrote:
    Urban dictionary is your friend - first definition.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ck+one+out

(why am I even explaining this to a man?!?!) :shock:

Not sure what your getting at?

@mudcow007 makes a suggestion of a rude/funny interoperation of my comments "is like "knocking one out"? always relaxes me out...."

I respond with "Not quite what I meant, but hey if thats how you read it & it works for you well knock yourself out. Then again don't knock yourself out not like that, would be proper embarrassing if someone had to call you an ambulance for doing that.

You then respond that you don't think that was what @mudcow007 was talking about & then post a link to urban dictionary pointing to the first definition which is exactly what @mudcow007 & I were suggesting.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I thought MSM was going to be posting with some proper advice on resting from some professional coaches. Good to know the girl's mind is in the gutter. :-)
  • meanredspider
    Meanwhile, I'm not sure I've had many great suggestions - especially since most of them are likely to make my legs weaker rather than stronger :wink:

Fortunately, it doesn't look like the turbo (Tacx Fortius) is going to be delivered today so I won't be tempted to cut short my recovery to give it a whirl...
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    edited March 2013
    When the epo goes to work then i can finally get some serious rest..
    Hot soak in bath, feet up and a duvet on the sofa, nodding off to the F1 - bliss
    Not always helps just sleepin, feel it the next week if i haven't recovered my legs over the weekend..
  • msmancunia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I thought MSM was going to be posting with some proper advice on resting from some professional coaches. Good to know the girl's mind is in the gutter. :-)

Takes one to know one Veronese :)

Sorry Dan - read the line about the ambulance and thought you'd seriously got the wrong end of the stick. Turns out we both had hold of the same end :lol:
  • danlikesbikes
    msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Takes one to know one Veronese :)

Sorry Dan - read the line about the ambulance and thought you'd seriously got the wrong end of the stick. Turns out we both had hold of the same end :lol:

Thats alright I had to reread the thread a few times myself & even then wasn't sure myself. Either way knocking one out may or may not relax you, but if you do it that "vigorously" and do end up in A&E you do deserve to get ribbed for it somewhat. :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    No stress when you rest

You may be sitting on your arse all day at work but I wouldn't call it particularly restful.
  • meanredspider
    No stress when you rest

You may be sitting on your ars* all day at work but I wouldn't call it particularly restful.

Oh dear. I've failed that test big time. Part of the reason I took this week off cycling is because my work days are manic right now - in at 7 and not leaving until gone 6 and struggling to find time for lunch. Last week I was getting home from my ride at about 7.30, having tea then falling asleep on the sofa. I wasn't very popular :roll:

On the plus side, my legs are feeling slightly better though they feel like they could do with a proper sports massage.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Been looking at a rumble roller for a while just can't justify the 60 squids on toughened foam atm..
  • danlikesbikes
    bushu wrote:
    Been looking at a rumble roller for a while just can't justify the 60 squids on toughened foam atm..

Trigger point one is £40 on Amazon right now http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-P ... 153&sr=8-1 have one myself and pretty good