New bike disasters

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited March 2013 in MTB general
It seems quite a common thing for people to get a new bike and have a huge crash first time out.
Yesterday I saw the worst one so far. Brand new Cube Hanzz, first run of the day, straight in to the first gap jump at walking speed, nowhere near clearing it he basically dropped to flat where suddenly it became very obvious that he had no rebound damping as he was launched over the bars in to a tree. I made sure he was ok and picked up his bike which felt very loose at the back for a bike which had only done 20 yards from new.
Is as common as it seems to be?

Comments

• Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Did you laugh?
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    tell me you got pics.......
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    He had a gopro so I will keep checking youtube & pinkbike. I couldn't believe that he tried jumping a eight foot gap at walking speed, I think he cleared about two feet with the bike and another ten feet without the bike.
    I didn't laugh, it looked pretty nasty at the time.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how common are people with Zero intelligence?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    nicklouse wrote:

Very common. I'm pretty simple but I at least know that you start on something steady to get a feel for a new bike and set it up.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    nicklouse wrote:

Very common - don't like to laugh at others and do feel when they come off. But have to say if you think you can buy a bike and just hit the jumps & because the bike is good you'll be fine...... we'll you might as well book your ambulance in advance.

See it quite a lot in Woburn and I was told by a mate that the phrase is "they just ran out of talent"
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It doesn't matter how good the bike is if it has no rebound damping wound on the rear shock. Like landing on a pogo stick.