Estate cars that can fit in two bikes?

UK2004
UK2004 Posts: 137
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Changed my second car to an audi tt and already missing not being able to carry the bikes now the temperature is rising a bit. Anyone know of an estate that with back seats down can fit in 2 bikes with wheels on? Just about managed it with old A Class but want something bit more roomy and reliabe, at same time not massive though!

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    UK2004 wrote:
    Changed my second car to an audi tt and already missing not being able to carry the bikes now the temperature is rising a bit. Anyone know of an estate that with back seats down can fit in 2 bikes with wheels on? Just about managed it with old A Class but want something bit more roomy and reliabe, at same time not massive though!

why do you have to leave the wheels on? i have an octavia estate which is huge and i can't really fit my bike in with the wheels on, it'll fit but it's not easy. much easier to just take the front wheel off and i could probably fit 4 bikes in there like that
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    welshkev wrote:
    UK2004 wrote:

why do you have to leave the wheels on? i have an octavia estate which is huge and i can't really fit my bike in with the wheels on, it'll fit but it's not easy. much easier to just take the front wheel off and i could probably fit 4 bikes in there like that

Indeed, the rear wheel is awkward to take off compared to front so that's understandable but the front takes like 20 seconds to remove and replace.

I'm sure something like the newer Mondeos would get a bike in whole.
  • My Avensis Tourer is pretty spacious but whilst it'll take my bike fully (not that easy with wide bars), you'd struggle to get a 2nd bike in with front wheel left on. You could do it but probably scratch the bikes and car interior, and turn the air blue with expletives, trying to do so. It has taken 3 with front wheels off.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not a problem with a Mk3 Mondeo or a Mk1 Focus. Though, I still don't do it with 2, because if the bikes move around and get tangled together while driving it's a sod to get them back out! Wheel out makes it far simpler. Oh, very wide bars are a bit awkward.

It's not so much the size that makes the difference, it's the ease of entry... Flat lips, big doors. TBH once you've had an early Focus, it makes you judgemental about other estates. Raised boot lip on most VAGs, high floor on the Avensis, no boot at all in a V40... Mine was **** but it did have a first class boot.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    How new/old you looking?

Skoda Yeti would be a good bet I'd imagine. With the trend is silly wide bars you need to be more mindful of the actual opening rather that the actual bootspace, I couldn't get my beater in the back of my mates old x-type estate because my bars were too wide.

How about a Rangey?

If I had a more understanding wife, I'd have one of these
    705563d1340371898-pickup-truck-bike-carriers-img_1692.jpg
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Briggo wrote:

I'm sure something like the newer Mondeos would get a bike in whole.

Had a new Focus estate as my company vehicle for the past year & its is massive. Easily get 2 bikes in just taking the front wheel off makes manoeuvring it in much easier & only takes me about 10 seconds on a bad day to remove.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above it's possible to get two whole bikes in a Mondeo saloon with the rear seats folded down but it's messy and doesn't make best use of the available space there are bars and cranks and seatposts and mechs everywhere

With the front wheels out it's much better and depending on your bikes it may be possible to get two in without folding both of the rear seats. Although the hatch opening is massive the back of the roof is the lowest/narrowest part and this will determine what you can get in.
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    How about a Grand Voyager. 4 bikes in the back no worries with room for gear and 4 people.

IMG_0188_zpsa8345dfd.jpg
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Ford Galaxy? take the seats out and just wheel your bikes in
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Fiat multipla diesel would be the "I don't care if I look special" choice..

All the seats go in/out easy, 3 person bench seat up front, big roof space if you want to put bars on top ... could easily get 4 people + kit + bikes in.

Can get them for about £900 with a ticket.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Cheap to insure the Uglipla too- nobody will steal one, and other cars are so repelled by it that it's hard to collide with anything. Even bollards move out of the way.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Ive got an 04 Vectra hatch, front wheels off I can easily get 2 bikes in and 2 bags with clothes for a weekend of bikes and beers, also abit of a tool kit, pump and stand should any repairs be required.
    Can get 1 bike in keeping wheels on, part of the reason I bought the thing.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Fiat multipla diesel would be the "I don't care if I look special" choice..

All the seats go in/out easy, 3 person bench seat up front, big roof space if you want to put bars on top ... could easily get 4 people + kit + bikes in.

Can get them for about £900 with a ticket.

I have the doblo, ugly as sin, economical,remarkably reliable and huge inside.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • UK2004
    Thanks for these suggestions, only one other thing is has to be auto box, so rules out couple cars, grand voyager looks excellent , huge inside but gotta be able to park it in London, will have a look through the others, mondeo estate and vectra estate look cool. Don't mind taking the front wheels off, do they do covers to put them inside while transporting the bikes so the spokes are protected?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The grand voyager got zero stars in an NCAP crash test IIRC.

Nope, it's now 2, so safe as houses :shock:
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Forester would fit 2 bikes (wheels off ) in the boot no problem, seats folded it would take 3 wheels on. Nice big boxy shape for it's size.
    Transit connect Tourneo would make it a breeze!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Given I can 'almost' get an MTB in my Octavia with the wheels on (a road bike fits) I would have thought the Superb should be able to manage it. An S-Max could as well
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I`m surprised no one has mentioned a Volvo V70, so I will :D
    My 2003 V70 will fit 2 mtb`s with wheels on in the back no problem, you can remove the lower half of the back seats to give you more room and if you`re a short arse and don`t need the front seats all the way back unlike me theres even more room :) I put a thick blanket over the bottom bike to protect from scratches and make removal easier
    they do them in an auto and a diesel too :D
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    The grand voyager got zero stars in an NCAP crash test IIRC.

Nope, it's now 2, so safe as houses :shock:

The Grand Voyager also has the fuel economy of a Saturn V rocket combined with the speed of a 90 year old disabled snail with a zimmer frame. I'm getting approx 23Mpg from it :-( However, it can turn from a 4 bike transporter to a 7 seater within 2 minutes with the seats that fold totally flat.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    My Volvo V 50 takes two XC bikes with the front wheels off and the back seats down no worries or two DH bikes with both wheels off as well as gearbags ect.
    They're reasonably good on fuel :oops: , I've got the 2.4 l model but the newer V60's are all 1.8 turbos except for the posh model. Prices are dropping as well so you may find a bargain, selling mine if you want a lefthand drive version :lol:
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • shoddy
    shoddy Posts: 63
    I have a Skoda Roomster. I can get three bikes in if i remove two of the rear seats (only takes a min to take seats out). This means i can carry 3 bikes and 3 riders + kit.
  • Should I replace the Avensis and not go for something like a vito sport or VW bus, the Roomster would interest me a lot.

I was going to recommend a hearse but they have very high floors ;D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • UK2004
    Anyone driven one fo these Citroen C4 diesel, the hatchback looks a useful small size and with seats down maybe two bikes at a squeeze with wheels off?
  • Did anyone not read the first post.

He asked for "estate that with back seats down can fit in 2 bikes with wheels on" what part of estate and with wheels on don't you understand?

Volvo V70, BMW 5 touring, Citroen C5 would be my guess
  • Another vote for a V70... swallows bikes and kit
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    My Aston Martin is no use but my other car is a porsche.
  • Another vote for a V70... swallows bikes and kit

What he said, mine's in XC flavour
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    My record is four people, four bikes, and two weeks worth of kit including full body armour in, on and around a Focus Estate. Admitedly, the bikes were on the outside and the people were insie, but it could easily have been the other way around.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I have a Toyota Rav4. I haven't tried putting the bikes inside but the seats come completely out and there's a lot of room. If I think about it later I'll have a go.
    Many happy trails!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A friend got 2 riders, their bikes, 4 wheels, plus all their kit for racing into a TT, wasn't easy as such, but they didn't struggle. Try harder.