First Sportive...

bsbstevieb
bsbstevieb Posts: 5
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Bought myself a Giant Defy 5 to dip my toes in the cycling world, am now loving it! i'm doing 40-50 mile runs twice a week, and two Sufferfest on the old turbo. I've entered a 88mile sportive with a lot of climbing(6000ft). I feel in myself i can do it, but worry about turning up on my cheap bike and my Lidll clothing. Any advice would be appreciated...

Comments

• ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Just go for it. Some of those who sneer at the beginning will be behind by the end. And most people won't even notice what you're riding.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well done and all the best with the sportive :wink:
    I take my hat off to you as although I have been cycling for years, have never cycled more than 65 miles in a day :oops:

Dont worry a jot about your bike etc. You will want a new bike and more kit after mixing more with others and seeing whats out there, but I have never witnessed any nastiness to a stranger. Overheard a bit of friendly ribbing between mates perhaps.

Maybe you could give us some feedback on how you felt you were treated on the sportive (as well as how you did and found the ride), keep a sneer/comment count and report back.

Part of the joy of cycling (for guys (little boys!)) at least is getting new kit (toys) and chatting about it/trying it out (playing with it), so if you overhear this please don't feel they are looking down on your kit.
    If someone on a 2K bike says something like "hey, nice bike" to you, they might just be being friendly/encouraging to a newbie, rather than sarcasticly having a go. Maybe they started off on a Defy 5.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Well done and don't worry about it. I did a season of sportives last year on a defy 4 and running kit and didnt feel at all out of place. The defy is a great bike for the money and well suited for sportives IMO. You will find people doing them on all sorts from rusting hulks to halfords MTb... Just let the fast whippets whizz off on their shiny carbon and enjoy your day ...
  • BigDaddyG
    BigDaddyG Posts: 63
    I did my first Sportive a few weeks back and LOVED it, I did it on a Trek 1.2 with Wiggle DHB clothing. I never once heard or saw anyone looking or saying anything, if anything people were great and very helpful!!

I am sure you will enjoy it and you will be get bitten to do some more, just like me.............roll on Saturday for the Wheelbase Sportive!!!
    Summer - Wilier la Triestina
    Winter - Trek 1.2
    Turbo bike - Trek 1.2
    I love my Trek 1.2
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    bsbstevieb wrote:
    Bought myself a Giant Defy 5 to dip my toes in the cycling world, am now loving it! i'm doing 40-50 mile runs twice a week, and two Sufferfest on the old turbo. I've entered a 88mile sportive with a lot of climbing(6000ft). I feel in myself i can do it, but worry about turning up on my cheap bike and my Lidll clothing. Any advice would be appreciated...

Don't worry about it - just go for it ...

I inwardly laughed at a few ppl who went backwards on the first slope of my first ever sportive ... glad I didn't say anything outloud as they passed me 2/3rds of the way through ... :o

I was on an entry level bike too ... still got it and rode it for the next sportive ... and will ride the next few on it too ... it's not a race u know ;)
  • 4 weeks to my first one...Tour of the boarders......same boat as the OP....Loving my Allez Elite for the last couple of months, really enjoying riding it :)
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Dont worry and just enjoy your day.To some a defy like yours is a posh bike.It,s all about perspective and as been said,a £k+++ bike wont make you faster or better rider.My first bike was a halfords carrera so you,d be looking down on me and my kit was aldi and sports direct.It,s meant to be fun so go and have fun.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    bsbstevieb wrote:

Although many punish on the internet,I would be very suprised if anyone would make a remark rgarding your kit in the real world.

Go about your business and enjoy your day mate.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Anonymous
    Although many punish on the internet,I would be very suprised if anyone would make a remark rgarding your kit in the real world

Do they?
    People sure get 'punished' for having expensive stuff on here, but find me a post where someone takes the pi55 out of someone for having a Defy or Lidl clothing.

You are correct in saying its far less likely to happen in real life, so if it does happen then surely it should be a daily occurance on here!
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    edited March 2013
    Carbonator wrote:
    Do they?
    People sure get 'punished' for having expensive stuff on here, but find me a post where someone takes the pi55 out of someone for having a Defy or Lidl clothing.

You have answered thanks.

But do you think the same people would say the say the same to the owners in the real world ????

No, neither do I.

Life is far too short to be worrying about what the next man has albeit better or worse.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Anonymous
    Good tip about the pad oxoman.
    I did 60 miles yesterday and was just starting to question the pad in my bib tights and think about how my bib short ones would be better for upcomming 80/100 sportives in the summer.
    Guessing that's one area where Lidl/budget bibs might start to under perform.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    bsbstevieb wrote:
    I feel in myself i can do it, but worry about turning up on my cheap bike and my Lidll clothing. Any advice would be appreciated...
    Go for it :)

Did my first one last month, people were wearing everything from DHB to Rapha, bikes from £7k jobs to ones that looked 20 years old, Hybrids and MTB's. Nobody had a bad word to say to anyone.

My only reservation about the Lidl bib tights that I have is the pad. After a couple of hours riding on it, I really really want to get off as it gets uncomfortable. Other than that they are lovely and warm :) I spent a bit more on shorts for my 50 miler and I was glad I did, they were a lot better.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Well done and all the best with the sportive :wink:
    I take my hat off to you as although I have been cycling for years, have never cycled more than 65 miles in a day :oops:

Dont worry a jot about your bike etc. You will want a new bike and more kit after mixing more with others and seeing whats out there, but I have never witnessed any nastiness to a stranger. Overheard a bit of friendly ribbing between mates perhaps.

Maybe you could give us some feedback on how you felt you were treated on the sportive (as well as how you did and found the ride), keep a sneer/comment count and report back.

Part of the joy of cycling (for guys (little boys!)) at least is getting new kit (toys) and chatting about it/trying it out (playing with it), so if you overhear this please don't feel they are looking down on your kit.
    If someone on a 2K bike says something like "hey, nice bike" to you, they might just be being friendly/encouraging to a newbie, rather than sarcasticly having a go. Maybe they started off on a Defy 5.

Its more likely they started off on something tidy tho.

Sry, couldnt resist saying that.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Food and drink are going to be important. You're probably in the habit already on your 40 to 50 mile rides, but start eating before you get hungry and drinking before you get thirsty. Worth starting to eat 45 minutes in and then again every 45 minutes or so. It'll really help with with energy levels towards the end. Make the most of the feed stops too.

Second thing is tagging along with a group if you're tackling the ride on your own. You should quite easily find a group riding about your speed. It's a great way to conserve some energy and enjoy the camaraderie.

I'm sure you'll have a great time - good luck!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Well I'm doing my first sportive on 7th April on my second hand Trek 1.1 but I think I look like the bollox and ride like the wind! Reality is I am bollox and ride like I've got wind. I am as nervous as you I guess but really my biggest problem is I will know no-one there and the etiquette may be beyond me!
    Best of luck.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    No one will sneer it's an urban cycling myth, they're all winding themselves up to do the sportive as well thinking about themselves, no one will give you a second glance, just enjoy the day, no etiquette required just don't crash into anyone
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Well I'm doing my first sportive on 7th April on my second hand Trek 1.1 but I think I look like the bollox and ride like the wind! Reality is I am bollox and ride like I've got wind. I am as nervous as you I guess but really my biggest problem is I will know no-one there and the etiquette may be beyond me!
    Best of luck.

Me too. First ever sportive on 7th April that is, not the Trek 1.1 / bollox / wind. Looking forward to it. Good luck!
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    My first one is on the 21st April setting off from Epsom downs
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Me doing sportives on my triban 3 must be really shocking to the brand snobs if a giant defy is considered poor form !
  • stubbo79
    stubbo79 Posts: 76
    Doing my first Sportive this Saturday, really looking forward to it......

Have a major dillema now though, do i use my tried and tested entry level Merida 75 or my brand new Cannondale Supersix 105!!! 2 miles on it only!! Really want to use it but slightly concerned about 60 miles on it straight away with no real running beforehand!

Head or heart??.....
    Trek Emonda SL6
    Cannondale Supersix 105
    Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105
    Boardman CX Comp
    Voodoo Bizango 29er
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    What a great thread! Really enjoyed reading this and has put my mind at rest. I'm starting out doing a couple of charity events in June being Nightrider & L-B. I pick up my TCR 3 on Sat and can't wait to get out training!
    I too have worried about "Have I got the right gear and clothing" thing! Albeit we all have to start somewhere eh?
    Brilliant post btw
    Andy
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Most people are far too wrapped up in their own preps to even notice and its quite possible to not speak to a soul even though you are with several hundred others. I found the whole start experience a little bit scary and intimidating at first but it is designed to get people off safely and you just have to go with the flow of it. Most people are equally nervous. You will probably bump into (sic) at least one other person on the way round that will make your day worthwhile
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I did the wiggle sportive at the weekend on a borrowed bike and an aldi jacket - don't worry, noone cares! It's just good to be out on the bike.
    Insert bike here:
  • Anonymous
    stubbo79 wrote:

Have a major dillema now though, do i use my tried and tested entry level Merida 75 or my brand new Cannondale Supersix 105!!! 2 miles on it only!! Really want to use it but slightly concerned about 60 miles on it straight away with no real running beforehand!

Head or heart??.....

Hi stubbo, I guess it depends how you feel about the sportive and the bike. How long is it? Are you happy with riding that distance or is it a lot longer than your usual rides? Are you used to riding in groups? How happy are you with the set up of the new bike?
    If happy with the above and as its your first sportive I am inclined to say take the new bike and check everything out together.

That said I did a Duathlon last year and a lady doing it had never ridden her new bike before which I remember thinking was a bit silly when she mentioned it.
    Half way around I noticed she had retired. Not sure why, but I assumed it was a bike problem.
    She was a seasoned event rider and I felt it was a complete waste of a day that seemed to have been caused by riding a new bike (it could have had nothing to do with that though).

If you are happy that the bike is mechanically sound, fits you pretty well and you are going for the fun of riding a distance you are happy with, rather than to break any records, I think you may regret not taking your new bike.

The ultimate answer might be to take your old bike on Sat and do another one on the new bike next week :D
  • Vandiesel
    Vandiesel Posts: 506
    Carbonator wrote:
    stubbo79 wrote:

Head or heart??.....

Hi stubbo, I guess it depends how you feel about the sportive and the bike. How long is it? Are you happy with riding that distance or is it a lot longer than your usual rides? Are you used to riding in groups? How happy are you with the set up of the new bike?
    If happy with the above and as its your first sportive I am inclined to say take the new bike and check everything out together.

That said I did a Duathlon last year and a lady doing it had never ridden her new bike before which I remember thinking was a bit silly when she mentioned it.
    Half way around I noticed she had retired. Not sure why, but I assumed it was a bike problem.
    She was a seasoned event rider and I felt it was a complete waste of a day that seemed to have been caused by riding a new bike (it could have had nothing to do with that though).

If you are happy that the bike is mechanically sound, fits you pretty well and you are going for the fun of riding a distance you are happy with, rather than to break any records, I think you may regret not taking your new bike.

The ultimate answer might be to take your old bike on Sat and do another one on the new bike next week :D
    That sounds like very good advice to me and logged upstairs!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • stubbo79
    stubbo79 Posts: 76
    Carbonator wrote:
    stubbo79 wrote:

Head or heart??.....

It is 57 miles which is not that long but i have only done 42 miles in a single ride to date. I have not done any group riding before either as i normally ride alone.

I think i will follow your advise and ride my old bike, experience the sportive then if i enjoy it, do some more throughout the summer. I do have a charity ride in May which i am using this ride to prepare for.
    Trek Emonda SL6
    Cannondale Supersix 105
    Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105
    Boardman CX Comp
    Voodoo Bizango 29er
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    stubbo79 wrote:
    Agree with the above, use the Merida. You don't want to be suffering halfway round because something in the setup of the new bike is causing you an issue.

After the weekend, ride the new bike a lot and have it all sorted for the next one. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava