Cyclist killed on A90

thegreatdivide
thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
Went out for a rainy ride today and just a few miles in I could hear a siren flying out of Dundee. The normally quiet back roads that I ride were packed nose to tail with cars, lorries and buses with pi$$ed off drivers behind their wheels. I ended up having to take several detours to get away from the chaos and noticed a whole section of the A90 dual carriageway had been blocked off by the police. I expected it to be the usual vehicle on vehicle accident but just found out it was a 42 year old male cyclist knocked down and killed instantly. There's a very skinny cycle path that runs down the side of the road and I only use a small 3/4 mile section to link up the back roads. Even that small stretch is hairy and I'm always happy to be off it.

Really gutted about this. It could be any of the dozens of folk I see regularly on my rides :-(

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... ol-1.76942

Comments

• ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Grim news,
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Dodgy enough a road to drive on. People always seem to be in too much of a rush and aggressive.

Sympathies to all. :cry:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My sympathies. Not a safe road to ride on - some bits have a narrow "hard shoulder" but long stretches where 2 lorries side by side leave only inches to spare.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Terrible news.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Really terrible news. This happened literally in line with the view out of my living room window so we've been watching the blue flashing lights all day.

Awful stretch of road really not suitable for bikes. The foot/cycle path is on the opposite side so I can only guess that the guy was riding on the carriageway itself. Although it doesn't make any difference as to the extent of the tragedy, having seen the bike it's safe to guess that it wasn't any of the usual roadies out in the Carse as it was a cheapy argos style full suspension MTB.

Really awful day yesterday, thoughts are with those affected. It's an area with so many good and convenient B roads aswell :(
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Notice the use of the term `accident` in the local press.The Police stopped using that in favour of road traffic incident many years ago.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    I hate hearing news like this
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Such sad news indeed no mater who/what is to blame for the incident
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.