Diabetes UK cycling gear

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I have just completed my first race today and absolutely loved it. So now I'm looking to invest in more race day gear, like the racing shirts and shorts. As a type 1 diabetic I would love to try and get gear that was printed with the diabetes uk logo and design on it to try and raise awareness etc and do my bit.

Can anyone tell me who I might contact about this? I've tried to email them before about other ideas and got no reply. I imagine they would have some kind of PR person I could contact?

Cheers
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    Have you tried all of these addresses?

pressteam@diabetes.org.uk

info@diabetes.org.uk

supporterservices@diabetes.org.uk

I reckon the last one will be most likely to help, all found on their website.

I do have an idea that might serve the cause better than you wearing a shirt at races. If you're doing a few this year then start a race diary/blog online. Put races in there, training progress, what you have to adjust for having Type 1. If you get a few people reading it and following it then that will inspire others, diabetic or otherwise. Diabetes UK might be interested in promoting it?

Unless they've already made up shirts, they're going to need to justify spending the money to produce a load. You could ask for permission to use the logo and get your own made up? Maybe with the sponsorship of a local company?
  • Kerrmit1992
    I am willing to pay for the shirts, I wouldn't expect it for free :-) ... Even if they could supply me a design that I could go to a jersey company with.

The training blog sounds like a very good idea, may have to take a wee look into that, have never done a blog before so could be interesting :-)
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • bonzo-b
    bonzo-b Posts: 24
    You could try these too mate

http://www.jdrf.org.uk/
  • Kerrmit1992
    I didn't even know that charity existed, I only knew about diabetes UK, thanks ill send them an email :-) ... I notice some if the pictures have some cycling gear on them but can't see anything in the shop :-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just download a logo, go to an online shop and design one to your liking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kerrmit1992
    Yes that will be an option should I not be able to get one,

I'm looking for a genuine one though if you know what I mean?

I know that diabetes UK had a race team at one point, don't know if they still do as I haven't heard anything new or seen and jerseys :-(
  • bonzo-b
    bonzo-b Posts: 24
    hello mate, only reason i know is coz i work for a diabetic strip manufacturer and it`s our sponsored charity this year... :)
  • Kerrmit1992
    Yes thanks a lot for making me aware of them, will have a good look around there website and will send an email and see what happens :-)
  • Kerrmit1992
    What would be the best website for starting a training blog? As stated above :-)
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    There are loads

If you have a Gmail/Google account then how about blogspot.com?
  • Kerrmit1992
    I found one called "Wordpress" seems quite good :-)
  • Bebo321
    Bebo321 Posts: 1
    Have you thought to check out Team Blood Glucose? They're putting together a team of amateur riders with type 1 or type 2 diabetes and entering the MHealth grand cycling tour from brussels to Barcelona. You can sign up for a single stage, or do the whole thing. They're all about raising awareness for diabetes, and encouraging everybody to lead healthier lives through sports and exercise. Take a look at http://www.teambloodglucose.com . Awesome! They might be able to help with kit or offer some support?