New Bike for newbie

BigBracey
BigBracey Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
So its time to get a bike and I've decided I'm buying new
I understand about 2nd bargains but I don't know enough to go down that route yet
so my choice has come down to this
Boardman Road Sport-£599.00
Trek 1.1 C H2 -£550.00
BTwin Triban 3 -£299.00 (cant believe the price!)
BTwin TRIBAN 5 A -£399.00-not see in the flesh yet

so for a keen but green, short stocky 40 something bloke,what would you guys recommend?

Comments

• stinger53
    stinger53 Posts: 135
    try each one to see which you find the most comfortable and which you prefer.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    heard a lot of good things about the tribans being great entry level bikes for the dish, but you have to see which feels most comfortable to you, and where you feel you'd get best tech advice, service, backup if it comes to tweaking the fit or the spec.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Boardman Sport is £499 (I think it says £599 on the website). The Boardman Race is £679, or £634 (£606 + £28) if you join British Cycling (so including a years membership) first to get a 10% discount.
    You also get 12% off at wiggle with that, so a 2013 Sora Felt F95 would be £571 (£599 inc. membership cost), the spec of which puts the Trek to shame IMO. Have a look at the 'Team Issue' version too if you go on there.

Good luck with getting a bike ;-)
  • Inutero
    Inutero Posts: 111
    The 5a looks like a very nice bike for the money;

http://www.btwin.com/en/sport-road-bike ... n-5-a.html
  • s800byj
    s800byj Posts: 11
    I think I am sold on the Triban Range, just got to find one now as they all seem to be out of stock, although I think I may wait to stump up the extra for the Triban 5. Great price and a lot of bike for your money. Hopefully one happy customer here.
    Scooby
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    stinger53 wrote:
    try each one to see which you find the most comfortable and which you prefer.

Amen to that. I read a lot before getting mine. Ummed and ahhed. Then, on my second trip to the shop, I tried out a bike I hadn't seen before made by a brand I hadn't heard of (Whyte - I was a newbie!). It fit like a glove - the position was just absolutely comfortable for me. Had that "This is my bike!!" moment.

It's like finding a perfect pair of jeans. Though that sentiment will probably be better understood by the girls on here rather than the guys. :)
  • paulsyl
    paulsyl Posts: 5
    I have a Triban 3 for sale, excellent condition if your interested?
    Drop me a pm
  • s800byj
    s800byj Posts: 11
    Paulsyl, I cannot PM you for some reason, can I ask where about you are in the country? I am in the NE Scotland.
  • paulsyl
    paulsyl Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm unable to PM you either drop me a mail on paulsylvester0@gmail.com