Turbo Trainer or Rollers?

pmsurrage
pmsurrage Posts: 11
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi
been looking at buying a turbo trainer or a set of rollers. Any advice would be appreciated on what is best for a newbie.

Pete

Comments

• Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    I have both;
    Cycleops jet fluid pro
    Cycleops aluminium rollers with resistance.
    I use them for different things, turbo for hard interval sessions, rollers for tempo and Longer 'TT' pace sessions.
    I find the rollers less boring because you need to concentrate all the time. They are supposed to help your bike handling skills and smooth your pedal stroke, but its too early for me to comment on that.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    im a big fan of rollers, feels more like you're cycling and really helps work on a smooth technique and balance. Too many people just get bored fixed into a turbo and have less incentive to persevere
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    ^+1

i love my rollers too.... much more engaging than a turbo....
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Had both in the past but just sold my turbo.

Like the "road" feel you get from being on the rollers, plus having to concentrate a bit more makes sessions less monotonous IMHO.

Managed to do pretty much the same sessions on the rollers as on the turbo so was a no brainer for me when it came which one to keep and which to sell.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    If you can watch a cycling/training video and have a Garmin to measure cadence and Heart Rate, the turbo is okay and not too boring - and I like the fact that you can't really fall off the turbo, whereas I'd be a bit more concerned about rollers.
  • danlikesbikes
    If you can watch a cycling/training video and have a Garmin to measure cadence and Heart Rate, the turbo is okay and not too boring - and I like the fact that you can't really fall off the turbo, whereas I'd be a bit more concerned about rollers.

TBH they are not that hard to ride on, if you can ride a bike on a road near a curb without crashing you can ride on rollers after you get over the faster you ride the more stable the bike feels for the first few goes on rollers.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    all these yays to rollers, I've had both as well bought rollers first for the real ride feel, but takes far too much concentration for me, and a lot more stressfull if you're concerned about a fall. Problem is you won't know what suits you till you try them both, by then it could be too late as you've made your purchase. The safe option is definitely the turbo, that gets my vote!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pmsurrage
    pmsurrage Posts: 11
    Hi all

thanks for all the advice, may go for the turbo because my wife may want a go too. I think she will struggle on rollers and crash through the TV, smash the fish tank and take out the dog!

Pete
  • danlikesbikes
    Which ever you go for you will see benefits - so perhaps the turbo is a "safer" option if you value your TV/fish/man parts
  • I started using rollers again after amany years of turbo use over winter. I enjoy the balance side of things and the involvement.

During the winters I used the turbo, whenever I had a weekend ride I would notice tired arms and other parts. Now this is hugely reduced having switched to using rollers instead.
  • s800byj
    s800byj Posts: 11
    If the summer pans out to be anything like last year then I will be forced to buy a TT. This one here is looking a good price considering you get 20% off if you buy it online then rock up with your British Cycling 10% voucher too.
    Works out at around 70 pounds
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 29901#tab1
    I know its Halfords but it is still cheaper than Wiggle.