New forks, couple of questions!

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
New forks turned up the other day, a set of RockShox SID RL 120mm.

I've pumped up the air springs to something like the right volumes, twiddled the rebound, realised I ordered the wrong remote lever (I now can't use my compression -> lock function), but can't seem to get the lockout threshold adjustment to do anything.

I am assuming thats the small screw in the centre of the lockout dial, have tried twiddling it with an alan key and doesn't seem to have any effect on blow-off when the fork is locked out. In fact I just seem to have a rock solid lock and can't get the fork to move into it's travel with some quite fierce shoves on the bars. Rockshox user manuals or setup info seem garbage bordering on non-existent, so I am hoping someone else can help me.

Also I got to wondering, my bike is now considerably lighter on the front end than previous, but hasn't shed much from the back. Can you "unbalance" a bike with heavy drivetrain components on the back and light forks up front, for example?

Edit// Should add they are 2012 forks, which have the external alan key threshold adjustment.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you read the manual, or looked on Sram's website.
    And no, a 'heavy' back end make no difference to whether or not the fork controls work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • scarbs85
    I've tried searching out a manual and looked on Srams website. I found a guide on pumping up dual air chambers, nothing useful on any other adjustment features, but it's possible I just can't find them rather than them not being there.

I wasn't expecting a heavy back end to influence the fork controls, but wondering if it could effect the handling etc of the bike. But then I guess you knew what I meant, you just wanted to live up to your reputation of being difficult :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you ridden the bike yet? The fork can take a few hits to get the damper fluid settled, and even on full lock and minimum floodgate, it still needs a fast input for them to move.
  • scarbs85
    No Supersonic, not had chance to ride it yet. Thanks for the info, hopefully tomorrow I will have chance to give them a go, and see what happens then.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    If theyre like my revs, the motion control dampening only works if the lockout dial is turned.

So if you've ordered the wrong remote and cant turn the lockout, you won't see any effect from the dial :)