I've done it

gazman1
gazman1 Posts: 77
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, okay I've been a regular reader on here, I've had my bike for about a month sat in the conservatory, I have a bit of a mental issue, (I don't suppose I'm the only one) where i'm concerned what other people will think, (long story). However my son's g/f's grandad bought a bike and asked if I would go out with him, (we are doing a charity ride in summer) so I got up this morning got ready and lost my road riding cherry, we set off and I thought f*** the neighbour's what do they do. We went out and did about 16 miles had a brew half way round and it felt great, I could have gone on and on, I have had a couple of road bikes in the last year but never been out on them, So now I've done it, I thought I would share it with you all, thanks for reading this rambling. Can't wait to get out again now.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    What did you do with the other bikes you didnt ride? Do you usually buy things and not use them?
  • gazman1
    Haha I sold them due to work issues which are sorted now.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Nice one!

You need to get to a place where you don't give a flying f@ck what the neighbours or anyone else thinks, especially when it comes to Lycra!

I know I look a bit of a plonker in my gear but the enjoyment of getting out and about far outweighs that feeling.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Well done on getting out there (eventually) Just seemed weird to be buying bikes and NOT riding them.

And don't pay attention to what others are doing or thinking. If its gets you out and helps you get fitter thats the main thing.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Well done on getting out. We have a few nosey neighbours, but one old chap who lives up the road who has a reputation as being "difficult" came up to chat to me the other week & was really interested in the bike and said he had seen me out a few times.

Don't worry what others think of you, do what you want and enjoy yourself.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • gazman1
    Thanks for the replies guys tbh my first bike was probably the wrong size, then I bought my next one and then my current one came along at the right price, I will try and post a pic up later, it felt so exhilarating to be out on the road after so many years of mtb.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm fortunate now that I'm not the only mamil in the locality...
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Feck the lot of 'em mate, I couldn't give a rat's @ss what the neighbours think but TBF the vast majority of them have been supportive when they've clocked me on the bike. They may even surprise you.

Well done for popping the cherry, safe riding and enjoy :D
  • I got laughed at by the local drag queen for 'dressing up'. The irony wasn't lost on him but it made me chuckle.

My neighbour laughed at me at first but soon came round when I told him how far I was riding.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    i used to feel ashamed going out with my lycra on but now i feel im getting a fetish for it lol
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Good on you OP !
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    I started off just going out on my MTB just to try and get a bit fit, it didn't take long before wanting a rode bike but funds wouldn't allow at first. I could never see myself as a roadie heading out in lycra but know i really don't care what people think and i actually think i look quite cool! 8)
  • I get a certain amount of enjoyment from people giving me funny looks for what I wear.

It's like superbike riders in leather 1 piece 'power ranger' suits. It's part of the fun in my opinion.
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    Brilliant, good on ya for that.

The neighbours sometimes give me comments but I think they have got bored of that now.

Nothing better than getting the lycra on and going out on my bike and like others on here, I don't give a flying feck what others think.

Go for it and enjoy.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I never have given a 'flying feck' what other people think, if you did you wouldn't do anything!
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Most people who make comments do so because of their own insecurities not yours.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    gazman1 wrote:
    I have a bit of a mental issue, (I don't suppose I'm the only one) where i'm concerned what other people will think, (long story)

Have you tried sorting this?
  • gazman1
    Styxd, in what way do you mean? Tbh its more than nosey neighbour's one of them would drive his car at me if he saw me on my bike (if he wasn't banned)
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I don't bother, and neither do others (in my opinion) about what i wear. I often have a chat to my neighbour when i'm back from my ride, still in my lycra hah!

It's the same thought as, would you wear a tracksuit when going swimming, or a set of trunks?
  • its half the fun isnt it? peacocking a bit? look at me?

thats is so long as you dont wear one of those beans or marmite jerseys...
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    its half the fun isnt it? peacocking a bit? look at me?
    Exactly. I modelled the bib shorts I just bought for the other half earlier this evening. She was on the phone to her mum at the time, but even so, she said "my god, I've never seen anything so sexy in all my life".
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • LittlePlums
    LittlePlums Posts: 139
    its half the fun isnt it? peacocking a bit? look at me?
    Exactly. I modelled the bib shorts I just bought for the other half earlier this evening. She was on the phone to her mum at the time, but even so, she said "my god, I've never seen anything so sexy in all my life".

Was that sarcasm?

My wife still sniggers every time I take my jacket off to reveal the bib in full effect and I commute every day! You'd have thought the joke would have worn thin by now. She says I look like a wrestler and in my mind I'm thinking Kendo Nagasaki, but in reality she's probably thinking Big Daddy.
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    hahha, reminds me of an incident, stood outside the house last year with my other half and a few mates just about to start a group ride and a woman pulled up and said to my wife, how on earth do you manage to get a group of men lycra stood outside your house, please let me know the secret!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The majority of guys on my street are mamils, at least to the extent of owning road bikes and wearing lycra
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    Who cares. I'd consider it a good sign if a neghbour sneered at me for doing something healthy. Besides, my cheapo lidl top shows off my massive guns nicely.

May my neighbours continue to be obese slobs and chuckle at me from behind their filthy net curtains as they munch their McDonalds!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I too get a slight feeling of superiority when I set out on my bike, knowing that most of the neighbours are either still in bed or already installed on the sofa. As to what I look like, who gives a toss? It's cycling gear. I'm going cycling. I could understand a bit of finger pointing if I set off in scuba gear or wearing cricket pads, but I'm just wearing cycling stuff.
  • LOL ive never really thought about it, i used to bomb about in my panasonic sportlife top and was described as a bit colourful once but if the neighbours were chuckling just remind them that your shorts cost more than what they are wearing, even if they are lidl ones - how would they know :wink: