What new road bike

tichrich
tichrich Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi
I have just started cycling again after years away. The choice of bike types and makes seems limitless and the choice of components has my head reeling. I am wanting a road bike to use for going to and from work and the gym and also for recreational pursuit. I love the speed that can be achieved on a road bike, but I don't intend to race. After all I am over 60. I also have issues with size, as again there seems to be a number of factors to consider. I am 1.69 m in height (5ft 6.5 in). I want to spend around £1000 mark but would spend more if it warranted it (after all I want to enjoy my cycling). Any views, suggestions are welcome

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Cycling plus have just finished their bike of the year 2013 & is a good a place to start as any http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... 013-36435/

So will not fit your budget but will give you an idea what is out there & for those that do not fit price wise will let you know what other models the manufactures have to offer.

Plus would always suggest you go and try them out once you have a short list, as one bike may be the same "size" as another but feel completely different to ride down to the geometry & design.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • tichrich
    tichrich Posts: 3
    Hi, thanks for the reply

I've narrowed my choices down somewhat. I had a look at a couple of bikes. I looked at a Specialized Roubaix, a Giant and Trek Madone. I'm quite keen on the Trek Madone 3.5 although I only got to see the 2.3. I found this online which seems to be a good price but I'm not sure about it. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-2g-poggio-p20-105/

The price isn't the main criteria. I really want something quality but still good value. I've been looking at the Madone 4.5 VS 3.5 and it seems to be a case of Frame VS Spec. How to decide? Any other suggestions would be welcome. I will most likely be buying a bike this weekend and I'd like to narrow down my options further. I intend to test ride 2 or 3 before buying.

I noticed when reviewing the Madone 3.5 that last yrs winner was the Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Review but not sure where I could get a hold of one.

As you can see I'm willing to increase my spending if it would be worth while in the long run. :)
  • Hi mate, I have recently purchased the felt z95 as a first road bike it's well within your budget and has half decent components, and would suit your needs perfectly.

It's a great bike too ride and so far I have no complaints, check them out you might be as surprised as I was.
    work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Depends, do you want an aggressive road bike or one with a more comfortable geometry?

Componentry should be second to frame quality, first look for the best frame then look for the best gruppo and wheelset. Up to £1.5k you should easily find a decent bike. If you can look for any 2012 models on sale. Great bargains to be had!

Good luck!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Hi,

Given the type of riding you may want to look at something like the Specialized Secteur Soprt Disc Compact. Really comtorable ride and you can fit mud gaurds etc if you want.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • goonz
    simonhead wrote:
    Hi,

Given the type of riding you may want to look at something like the Specialized Secteur Soprt Disc Compact. Really comtorable ride and you can fit mud gaurds etc if you want.

If I remember right thats not a road bike, more of a hybrid right? I remember seeing one, really liked the look of it.
  • simonhead
    goonz wrote:
    simonhead wrote:
    Hi,

If I remember right thats not a road bike, more of a hybrid right? I remember seeing one, really liked the look of it.

Its a road bike but with a few quirks from a hybrid, only 18 gears but given no racing involved that may not be an issue.
  • goonz
    Ah I was mistaking it with a crosstail I think. The one that came with the gold chain!
  • simonhead
    goonz wrote:
    Ah I was mistaking it with a crosstail I think. The one that came with the gold chain!

That sounds about right, the chain is to complement the bull terrier
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    A tip for the size of frame you'll need - I'm 170cm and ride a 52 to 53cm frame which equates to a small in most brands.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Get either a Trek/specialized/Giant/Cervelo... they seem to be all anyone rides nowadays lol.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • goonz
    pride4ever wrote:
    Get either a Trek/specialized/Giant/Cervelo... they seem to be all anyone rides nowadays lol.

All the more reason NOT to get one.