Just Bought My first bike

pmsurrage
pmsurrage Posts: 11
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all

Hello to everyone

just bought my first road bike today, Cube Peloton Triple which should arrive at the weekend. I'm new to road cycling apart from doing the Cape Argus bike race for charity several years ago (3hr 57) which I borrowed a bike. I was wondering the best place to find some training material so I can build up to a good level of fitness prior to joining a club. Also is there any good APPS out there for logging rides etc.

Pete, North West Kent

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    HERE!! look on the Fitness tab on Bikeradar
  • Hi Pete, and welcome. Although I don't usually take a smartphone on my longer rides (I tend to know the route in advance, so just stick with a smaller/lighter dumbphone for emergencies) I use Noom's Cardio Trainer app, which seems pretty decent for free. I use it for a mix of cycling and jogging though (it's not bike-specific). I'm using Android, BTW - dunno what's available on iOS.
  • pmsurrage
    pmsurrage Posts: 11
    Hi Mike,thank you
  • alflavor
    alflavor Posts: 1
    I find runkeeper pretty good, although I would be looking at a Mio Alpha or a Pebble Watch later in the year for tracking/logging...
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    I use Cyclemeter (£2.99) and love it!

After a ride you can give the route you took a name. Then, if you do the same route again, before you start you can tell it what route you're doing. You'll then get little markers on the screen while you're going along, one showing your best time on that route and one your worst. Like ghost cars in time trial racing videogames. I end up racing my best time marker. :D

Has lots of stats - the splits for each mile always tell me that I'm bad at pacing myself as my average speed declines steadily over the ride.

Tells you total miles ridden by week, month, year etc and for each bike (if you have more than one). Lots of funky graphs too.

The only downside to it is that there isn't a website that the data uploads to. So you don't have a web account where you can review your rides. It's just on the iPhone. However, you can make an iCloud backup of your iPhone database (worth doing anyway in case of a phone crash/loss) and then download onto iPad if you have one and review.

The other one I tried is iMapMyRide. Benefit to that is it syncs to a web account (mapmyride.com). But I didn't like the app as much, so stuck with Cyclemeter.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    pmsurrage wrote:
    Also is there any good APPS out there for logging rides etc.
    A lot of guys here use Strava. Free account on it's web service and free app for both Android and iOS. Simple and it works well.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    pmsurrage wrote:
    Also is there any good APPS out there for logging rides etc.
    A lot of guys here use Strava. Free account on it's web service and free app for both Android and iOS. Simple and it works well.

+1 Very simple to use (it must be if I can do it) & a good motivational tool